1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is the point of high end graphics cards?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Phusius, May 27, 2012.

1. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The point of a high end GC or a pair in SLI/XFire is that you have a need for it.
    It could be a large monitor, multi-monitor setup or something like folding.

If you don't need that power, then no real need for a top-tier card.

EDIT : Unless you want a high-end, top-tier setup just because you can. Here at TPU, the word "overkill" doesn't really have much meening.

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  2. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kreij, why are you still on Cat 12.3 and not 12.4?

3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Trust me, the lack of meaning to overkill isn't nearly as bad here as at XtremeSystems. I've never seen such decadence as there. A lot of them invest in triple or quad SLI and don't even have a clue about computers in general, let alone high end gaming rigs.

4. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Well I definitely wouldn't say you're an enthusiast. The reason for getting a high-end graphics card is simple, Ultra and 60FPS. The difference is in the games you play as well if all you play are MMOs and MW3, then you could get away even with a HD6870.

Lionheart and Phusius say thanks.
  5. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    They are fans, pretty crazy, everybody spends his money as he wishes ... Exceeding feeds their ego ...

6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Everythings working fine for me at the moment. I'll update when I need to do so.

Your question is very much like the intent of this whole thread, "What's the point of updating our drivers if everything is fine?"

:)

Phusius says thanks.
  7. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol Kreij, I don't know, I always like to have my drivers updated with the newest WHQL to be safe. but yeah, your right, it doesn't matter that much probably.

8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Since I run an older GPU, I skip lot of updates, esp if they only mention performance increases for the latest gen cards. I mainly look for improvements I need, like when they upped overall performance in Skyrim, fixed problems in BF3, etc, which were Nvidia driver improvements that worked for a wide range of cards.

9. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    you dont understand that out here,where i live and i think in other parts of the world , a guy like him with powerfull cpu and other good things bring monsters cards just for try without thinking i make a little upgrade for what i really need , him show us i have money and i play with it this is madness, go high end with new tecnologi and go back with highend old tecnology is no sense , i have tell in most thread go to a hd6950 to a 7870 is a good thing , go high end with price like 500$ and plus video cards when him dont need it is stupid for me , its my opinion not the right thing in the wolrd but have much more sense then what him tell to us

10. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Topic: To live on the bleeding edge of technology. ;)

11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    If he reaches the conclusion that he doesn't need that highend stuff it's very wise of him to cut back imo.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    considering he can always expand in future via crossfire/sli and save money too

13. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the point in Cat 12.4?

I am still on 11.12.

14. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    i dont think so if you search benchmarks all aroud the web you see what performance give you a 2500k oc with a 7970 or a gtx 680 or a 7870 vs 6970

15. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I dont need that kind of power, but i admit that 2x6970s does boost my fps, Im probably not getting 'the best' out of it though as im not using a larger screen like a 27"

Purely for bragging rights in my case. and thats the same case with most people.

My old man is coming to his 60's but yet he wants a few WD raptors in his PC and a GC with 4GB dedicated memory when the closest thing he comes to 3d gaming is Aero on his desktop....

Obviously Ive explained to him that SSDs will always be faster and a lot cheaper then a WD Raptor Hard drive and that a Graphic cards dedicated memory means very little if he doesnt game or use a 50" monitor (the man uses a 19" Asus and AMD 4350 that I bought for him when my old X1800XT he was previously using died randomly overnight for no reason at all)

Purely for bragging rights.

Obviously he knows not to waste money on tech as his current pc that i built pretty much does everything he needs.

SSDs are getting cheaper so i might get him one at someone as he complains now and then that the pc loads slow. Id get him one now but i got a 240GB SSD lined up for my laptop (and i need to service myself first before others being the selfish bastard i am :p)

16. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Large screen size has nothing to do with it. A 55 inch 1080p is just as demanding as a 22inch 1080p on a graphics card. It is the resolution that matters, 1440, 1600, and the future 4k series. Or eyefinity resolution, which is like 5760x1080 or something like that.

17. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    This

Ontop of the fact that you would be better off spending money on a monitor, its no surprise you can max out games on a 21"

18. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    jebus man ,did ya not play crisis ,back in the day,, thats why we buy uber cards ,because some games run shit without em, and cod does not count and is laughable in terms of tech.

Gta4 ,another example , shit even with a then top end 5870 ,luckily that games too rubbish for me to care enough to get a 7970,, xfired 5xxx still dont net 60fps on that with max IQ ,distance ,and detail on 1080p, and the stuff most of us bar the OP buy today have to last and play all on ultra for a few years, well thats me, OP can clearly afford to just buy whatever comes out then moan that he nearly got ripped(yet sold em for same doe and still moanin:)) ,

OP ,off the crack man this is TPU and a question like that or why do you need quad Sli is silly,

as the answer BECAUSE I WANTED TO SEE HOW WELL IT WORKS, should or could be the only reply, yet still a valid answer.

exactly, if id have seen this post sooner id have typed less.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  19. Uninvited New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like something of a personal choice to me, not something to be questioned. I have 2 refridgerators in my house, should someone question the point much less care?

20. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    GTA IV has played super smooth with every Nvidia card I have owned, with my AMD cards.....stutterfest!!

21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Oh right well in that case then ill switch to nvidia next time, added bonus will be trolls like you wont try to wind me up.:p by the way get on topic, in fact balls to this topic

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  22. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    why should anyone care??? Its quite obvious that one is used to store and keep certain man made beverages cool

Either that or you are a axe weilding serial murderer who has the extra fridge to hide the bodies of your victims.....

23. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:

+1

and my favorite......

SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME :laugh:

I too have two full sized refrigerators in my house.... why you might ask? My wife went shopping for a new sink or something and the frig was on sale for a great price. Needless to say my tech purchases no longer get that "how much did that cost"

Last edited: May 28, 2012
    theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  24. Xaser04

Xaser04

Thanks Received:
    The point of high end Graphics cards is for people who want to max out every setting possible and/or push resolution boundaries as much as possible.

25. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    You buy a high end card if you want your game to look better than Supermario SNES. I hate to break it to you, but some people actually hold the opinion that crysis graphics are superior to Supermario. And like it that way. And need a graphics card that can make it that way. If you're happy playing games at medium-low settings, then I think you should trade Delta for his 4850s. I'm sure they would be sufficient for your needs.