• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What Mobility Video Card for Alienware Area-51 M5790(M5700i-R2)

blaisexen

@joe12345, I believed you, thank you so much. 5 out of 5 for you :roll::roll::clap::peace:

BUT I can't find your 4650 on ebay, can you show the link? :D

blaisexen

>Just looked a bit on ebay.com right now and there are several MXM III-class 4850/4870 cards.

Yes but they are HE, but it's OK if will be run on Power Wall?, but on Battery I ques it would drain fast, is that right?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
1.alienware/dell are known for locking there bios's down to prevent any-kind of upgrading there is a very good chance that even if you source the correct type of card it won't work
2. the cpu/ram in your laptop is too slow to leverage upgrading to a 4650 you would be wasting it in fact I would say most of your issue is cpu related as tera doesn't need shit for gpu power as its a old dx9 based engine
3. there is a good chance that any card you install especially the HP ones will burn the motherboard outdue to current-overdraw early

Processor Various
Motherboard Various
Cooling 4 air, 1 passive, 1 watercooled 240
Memory 2GiB-16GiB
Video Card(s) Various
Software Linux x86_64-hosted
1.alienware/dell are known for locking there bios's down to prevent any-kind of upgrading there is a very good chance that even if you source the correct type of card it won't work
2. the cpu/ram in your laptop is too slow to leverage upgrading to a 4650 you would be wasting it in fact I would say most of your issue is cpu related as tera doesn't need shit for gpu power as its a old dx9 based engine
3. there is a good chance that any card you install especially the HP ones will burn the motherboard outdue to current-overdraw early

Tell me, how many Alienware M5790/Fujitsu Amilo Xi 15xx have you personally repaired?
Or is posting FUD your main hobby here?

Processor Various
Motherboard Various
Memory 2GiB-16GiB
Video Card(s) Various
>Just looked a bit on ebay.com right now and there are several MXM III-class 4850/4870 cards.

Yes but they are HE, but it's OK if will be run on Power Wall?, but on Battery I ques it would drain fast, is that right?

Well, I just found 4850/70 cards, not 4650/70 cards when I posted.
Be aware, that I have just limited myself to ebay.com with resellers physically residing within US.
You can easily find 4650/70 cards outside of the US. They all cost 90$+ though.

About HE, yes 4850/70 are HE. Unfortunately. I would strongly advise not to use HE, I have already written and linked to articles, explaining why so. Your system is not designed to power/cool-down such cards.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Tell me, how many Alienware M5790/Fujitsu Amilo Xi 15xx have you personally repaired?
Or is posting FUD your main hobby here?
its not fud its reality very rarely does swapping a mxm card work ESPECIALLY WITH DELL the only exception are custom ordered machines
secondly its not gonna do him any real good hes got 1600mhz early core 2 duo
it is very common for laptop vendors to lockout the bios 15h callback to prevent 3d party modification to either the vbios rom or the video mxm its self the only way around it is a modified bios
I realize its not what he wants to hear but he is wasting his time multiple people have told him the same thing on multipl forums
http://wwww.tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=289302
the guy has been asking about this for MONTHS he keeps coming back after being told NO
he either doesn't understand or doesn't speak enough English to know that there is a 75% chance t hat it won't work even if he gets the right type of card very few vendors support the 15h int video callback and instead relies on the system bios to support the vbios payload

Last edited:
Processor Various
Motherboard Various
Memory 2GiB-16GiB
Video Card(s) Various
its not fud its reality very rarely does swapping a mxm card work ESPECIALLY WITH DELL the only exception t
secondly its not gonna do him any real good hes got 1600mhz early core 2 duo
it is very common for laptop vendors to lockout the bios 15h callback to prevent 3d party modification to either the vbios rom or the video mxm its self the only way around it is a modified bios
I realize its not what he wants to hear but he is wasting his time multiple people have told him the same thing on multipl forums
http://wwww.tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=289302
the guy has been asking about this for MONTHS he keeps coming back after being tould NO

1) You post FUD. Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. Sure, some Dell/Alienware might do a CRC on VBIOS from own BIOS. But, this precise model doesn't.
2) T7200 is pretty good dual-core CPU. Thats not i7 or i5 of Sandybridge and up, but the performance is still very sufficient.
3) I don't understand what do you mean with "15h callback". Most of modern OS skip BIOS altogether. So, why not flash/crack the "DRM" out of the original BIOS? So that BIOS just inits VGA and gives control to the OS alright. Still, this is not related to this thread, at all.
4) I am okay that he asks questions. People are.. different. At least he has opened a dedicated topic and posts in-line with it.
5) In the thread you linked to, he wasn't given exact compatible cards and no one there had his notebook model. Now, just look at post number #7 in this thread.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
1) You post FUD. Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. Sure, some Dell/Alienware might do a CRC on VBIOS from own BIOS. But, this precise model doesn't.
2) T7200 is pretty good dual-core CPU. Thats not i7 or i5 of Sandybridge and up, but the performance is still very sufficient.
3) I don't understand what do you mean with "15h callback". Most of modern OS skip BIOS altogether. So, why not flash/crack the "DRM" out of the original BIOS? So that BIOS just inits VGA and gives control to the OS alright. Still, this is not related to this thread, at all.
4) I am okay that he asks questions. People are.. different. At least he has opened a dedicated topic and posts in-line with it.
5) In the thread you linked to, he wasn't given exact compatible cards and no one there had his notebook model. Now, just look at post number #7 in this thread.
number 3> tells me you aren't qualified to give advice or question anybody elses now away with ye modern os's skip bios's that made me lol somebody doesn't understand how/what UEFI fastboot is and that fact that his laptop doesn't even have UEFI and while flashing a patched bios for that laptop is possible as far as I can tell there is no prepatched bios in existence
and frankly I don't give a crap you wanna try and talk this guy though installing a mxm card and flashing a untested patched bios you are free todo so I don't wanna see a thread about how his system will no longer boot afterward

Last edited:
Processor Various
Motherboard Various
Memory 2GiB-16GiB
Video Card(s) Various
number 3> tells me you aren't qualified to give advice or question anybody elses now away with ye modern os's skip bios's that made me lol somebody doesn't understand how/what UEFI fastboot is and that fact that his laptop doesn't even have UEFI and while flashing a patched bios for that laptop is possible as far as I can tell there is no prepatched bios in existence
and frankly I don't give a crap you wanna try and talk this guy though installing a mxm card and flashing a untested patched bios you are free todo so I don't wanna see a thread about how his system will no longer boot afterward

How is UEFI related at all? UEFI doesn't use any BIOS/DOS interrupts, its purpose is solely to init basic things and chainload the payload. Yes, this laptop does not have UEFI, but frankly UEFI is Intel's piece of shi-. Instead finishing LinuxBIOS, that is currenly empowering ChromeOS and was relabeled as CoreBoot, Intel decided to slide in bed with M$ and create another poorly documented proprietary abomination that is hardly usable for anything except secureboot aka M$ WGA v2, that does nothing except locking out user from his machine.

Yes modern OS skip BIOS routines altogether. Kernel loads a portion of code, that checks CPU, hardware memory mapping capabilities, configures memory, then loads full kernel, that starts hardware enumeration and loads drivers (FS, disk access), that access files to load further drivers for detected hardware. This is the reason for LinuxBIOS to appear in first place - BIOS basically does the same thing that modern kernels do, so why not skip it altogether - get basic local hardware up, just enough to access the payload (the kernel) and then proceed loading it. Its much more flexible and faster this way.

I repeat, this model has zero hardware DRM, that you try to FUD and derail the thread. He has nothing to reflash and there is no DRM in BIOS.

The fact is - my Fujitsu Amilo Xi 1554, that is physically same with M5790, was reflashed with Alienware BIOS 1.19, has an mxm 4650 card from Acer - runs FINE. Where did your DRM suddenly go? With burnt x1900 the laptop is worth 150$, with replaced card this laptop is worth 500$, card price is 100$. Even if the CPU proves to be not fit for his task, its worth more when repaired - and repair is very easy.

blaisexen

OK, I have read many and learn much from both of your quarreling words.

Keep up, and well learn more and more because of the two of you.

thank you so much.
indeed both of you are experts.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
How is UEFI related at all? UEFI doesn't use any BIOS/DOS interrupts, its purpose is solely to init basic things and chainload the payload. Yes, this laptop does not have UEFI, but frankly UEFI is Intel's piece of shi-. Instead finishing LinuxBIOS, that is currenly empowering ChromeOS and was relabeled as CoreBoot, Intel decided to slide in bed with M$ and create another poorly documented proprietary abomination that is hardly usable for anything except secureboot aka M$ WGA v2, that does nothing except locking out user from his machine.

Yes modern OS skip BIOS routines altogether. Kernel loads a portion of code, that checks CPU, hardware memory mapping capabilities, configures memory, then loads full kernel, that starts hardware enumeration and loads drivers (FS, disk access), that access files to load further drivers for detected hardware. This is the reason for LinuxBIOS to appear in first place - BIOS basically does the same thing that modern kernels do, so why not skip it altogether - get basic local hardware up, just enough to access the payload (the kernel) and then proceed loading it. Its much more flexible and faster this way.

I repeat, this model has zero hardware DRM, that you try to FUD and derail the thread. He has nothing to reflash and there is no DRM in BIOS.

The fact is - my Fujitsu Amilo Xi 1554, that is physically same with M5790, was reflashed with Alienware BIOS 1.19, has an mxm 4650 card from Acer - runs FINE. Where did your DRM suddenly go? With burnt x1900 the laptop is worth 150$, with replaced card this laptop is worth 500$, card price is 100$. Even if the CPU proves to be not fit for his task, its worth more when repaired - and repair is very easy.
you don't know what you are talking about I am done with this thread good luck you are gonna need it

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15

I am not sure how to explain this to you without being a ass so I won't go though the effort of being nice

CoreBoot/linuxbios/UEFI are ALL EXTENSIONS to the BIOS
the bios's core role outside of bootstrapping the MBR/bootloader kernel,providing a configuration interface or whatever is to initialize the CORE hardware(cpu clock base memory addresses ,chipset timing ect ect ala ect

you can Not skip it how are you gonna execute any code or load any kernel or do any kind of hardware probing if the cpu isn't even turned "on"(thats a single 16bit register) or if the first 640K or 1024mb of base memory+ aren't even initialized yet its not a entirely different matter if you are indeed running coreboot but the process is still the same the "linux" payload of coreboot/linuxbios is executed AFTER the core bios routine completes essentially its just a embedded option-rom containing a Linux kernel or some bootstrap layer and the "linux-kernel" its self has no part in actually booting the system to a state where you can do useful stuff such as executing a boot-loader or even loading aforementioned kernel all that is handled WAYYY earlier by chip-set/main-board specific custom code booting any-kind of kernel even a limited one comes WAYyy later in the process long after the very very basics are up and running there is absolutely no way to skip that from a cold boot (warm boot is another matter)

UEFI is a bit different in the way it handles the switch between bootservices and runtime services and then to the OS
but before all of that you still need to initialize the very basics ACPI, SMBIOS ect ect
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/uefi-architecture-and-technical-overview#What_is_UEFI.3F

it how ever is NOT a linux kernel nor anything CLOSE to a kernel as you know it all that bit of code does is get things rolling for the RUNTIME services witch would be what you called a "linux kernel" to get loaded witch then in-turned is handed off to a full kernel such as windows or linux or bsd or what have you
but before all that you still need todo a BIOS(firmware) init (uefi shell isn't really a shell but a really crude environment for executing EFL's witch contain the bootloader and runtime services before things get handed off to the kernel (fastboot basicly saves and restores from RUNTIME you still need todo a firmware init(bios) when cold

witch contain the real kernel/HAL you speak of as well as all the needed bits to get everything fully setup in preparation as for the vga callback the quickest way to explain it so to show you the code
http://code.coreboot.org/p/seabios/source/tree/master/src/vgahooks.c
http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/5344/1/src/mainboard/lenovo/t60/mainboard.c
and incase you are lazy basically it amounts to this some laptop vendors like to cut corners instead of properly supporting hooks and entries for calling back the vga option rom on card they just pack there own and hardcode everything and slam it all in the main bios
you can throw all the goggled-up terminology you can find at me I just happen to actually know what I am talking about.. most of the time, you however don't seem to have that advantage.

I am nether impressed nor amused I will concede this point I didn't see that you own the same model as the op that aside you still don't have a frigging clue

Last edited:
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Even if sucessful you would still have a low end gaming PC. Save your money for a new system

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
that and another note I am not sure why you think the machine would be worth 500.00 it be more like 200 you can buy laptops with 8600GT's or 9800M' for that s and 2.66 core i5 and whatever dedicate graphics for 300.00
good luck to the both of you have fun fumbling in the dark

Last edited:
Processor Various
Motherboard Various
Memory 2GiB-16GiB
Video Card(s) Various
I am not sure how to explain this to you without being a ass so I won't go though the effort of being nice
I am not even sure, why you try to explain something I never asked, but never mind...

Could you at least learn to use commas, or READ questions before posting answers to never asked questions?

Or am I asking too much?

CoreBoot/linuxbios/UEFI are ALL EXTENSIONS to the BIOS
They are NOT. They are completely different thing!

Unless you load BIOS payload within UEFI/CoreBoot (aka SeaBIOS) designed for older operating systems, still relying on DOS interrupt vectors, UEFI/CoreBoot contain no BIOS code.

the bios's core role outside of bootstrapping the MBR/bootloader kernel,providing a configuration interface or whatever is to initialize the CORE hardware(cpu clock base memory addresses ,chipset timing ect ect ala ect
BIOS core role is to wake up CPU by writing magic numbers, read firmware to access disks/network, load a few bytes from them linearly into RAM, set CPU IP register there and die.

you can Not skip it how are you gonna execute any code or load any kernel or do any kind of hardware probing if the cpu isn't even turned "on"(thats a single 16bit register)
Linux kernel (or any more-less concious kernel) is capable of shutting down CPUs/Cores on demand, or even operate on partially damaged CPU by shutting down its individual cores.

While something indeed needs to powerup CPU and read a few Kbytes of data into memory and give it control, BIOS is particularly not doing "only that". Why, its the reason why LinuxBIOS/UEFI happened!

or if the first 640K or 1024mb of base memory+ aren't even initialized yet
Whats the purpose to init them? Why 640k or 1024k, whats the difference? Do you still have 386 with XMS?

its not a entirely different matter if you are indeed running coreboot but the process is still the same the "linux" payload of coreboot/linuxbios is executed AFTER the core bios routine completes essentially its just a embedded option-rom containing a Linux kernel or some bootstrap layer and the "linux-kernel" its self has no part in actually booting the system to a state where you can do useful stuff such as executing a boot-loader
I object your "useful stuff".
Why boot to boot-loader, if you are already starting kernel?

or even loading aforementioned kernel all that is handled WAYYY earlier by chip-set/main-board specific custom code booting any-kind of kernel even a limited one comes WAYyy later in the process long after the very very basics are up and running there is absolutely no way to skip that from a cold boot (warm boot is another matter)
Which exact "chipset/mainboard" specific custom code do you mean?

UEFI is a bit different in the way it handles the switch between bootservices and runtime services and then to the OS
but before all of that you still need to initialize the very basics ACPI, SMBIOS ect ect
ACPI and SMBIOS are data. You don't need to initialize them. Kernel parses them and they can also be omitted entirely, they are not vital ("very basics"), because modern kernels poll the buses for IDs and load the corresponding drivers anyway.

it how ever is NOT a linux kernel nor anything CLOSE to a kernel as you know it all that bit of code does is get things rolling for the RUNTIME services witch would be what you called a "linux kernel" to get loaded witch then in-turned is handed off to a full kernel such as windows or linux or bsd or what have you
but before all that you still need todo a BIOS(firmware) init (uefi shell isn't really a shell but a really crude environment for executing EFL's witch contain the bootloader and runtime services before things get handed off to the kernel (fastboot basicly saves and restores from RUNTIME you still need todo a firmware init(bios) when cold
Point me exactly - where I wrote that (UEFI//Coreboot/LinuxBIOS) are "linux kernel nor anything CLOSE to a kernel as you know it". UEFI shell is one of the payloads. Didn't I wrote that UEFI/LinuxBIOS motivation over BIOS was to skip all the routines, which are not necessary anymore for modern kernels, and instead init basic hardware and start the payload directly?

witch contain the real kernel/HAL you speak of as well as all the needed bits to get everything fully setup in preparation as for the vga callback the quickest way to explain it so to show you the code
http://code.coreboot.org/p/seabios/source/tree/master/src/vgahooks.c
For what reason did you link the seabios source?
The VGA hooks are only needed when using legacy BIOS (SeaBIOS is CoreBoot legacy BIOS, implemented as a payload), in order for VGA option rom to be able to read SMI values, containing things like resolution or default output display port. This is completely unrelated to UEFI/CoreBoot or fastboot.

that and another note I am not sure why you think the machine would be worth 500.00 it be more like 200 you can buy laptops with 8600GT's or 9800M' for that s and 2.66 core i5 and whatever dedicate graphics for 300.00
good luck to the both of you have fun fumbling in the dark
Go ahead, find me a machine with 9800M (or similar performance), 17 inch fullhd display, hardware raid (or at least 2 sata jbod), similar connectivity - under 500.

Processor Various
Motherboard Various
Memory 2GiB-16GiB
Video Card(s) Various
Go ahead, find me a machine with 9800M (or similar performance), 17 inch fullhd display, hardware raid (or at least 2 sata jbod), similar connectivity - under 500.

Okay, I stand corrected - a refurbished m6400 (although using gf9600m, no fingerprint, no rj45, no second sata, no bluetooth) costs 325$.
Still, a broken m5790 costs around 70$. Purchase of 50$ 9600m/quadro2700m is worth it.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
HP EliteBook 8540w
HP EliteBook 8540w Model#: VQ404EP
15.6" HD+ High-Resolution LED Screen(1600x900 pixels)
No WEBCAM
Intel Core i5-M540 2.53Ghz up to 3.06Ghz TurboBoost
4GB DDR3
RAM
160GB S-ATA Hard Drive(upgrade to brand new 500GB hard drive with 1 year manufacturer for $30)
Nvidia Quadro FX 1800M 1GB(dedicated)+1.7GB(shared) Video Card
DVD-RW Drive(DVD/CD burner)

1Gbps Ethernet Port
Wi-Fi Internal Wireless Intel 6300 Ultimate(A/G/N)
Internal Bluetooth Module
Fingerprint Reader
DP DisplayPort
5 USB Ports
eSATA Port
FireWire Port
VGA Video-out
SD Card Reader
we where talking about VGA hooks in regards to the blacklist a lot of vendors put on there bios's to prevent upgrading/tampering with the vbios

you keep saying MODERN kernel I have yet to see a SINGLE linux distro outside of Ubuntu support UEFI boot by default-out of the box because nobody wants to screw with it and frankly its not worth the 3 seconds it takes to get though post I get the whole fosstard vibe you putting out I can dig it really I can but this discussion relates to the op and he is neither running UEFI nor coreboot nor is either a possiablity ever because coreboot is poop

speaking of coreboot/linuxbios I am not sure why you bring it up at all it runs on exactly jackshit and is as useful as the aforementioned shit

also we can split hairs all god dam month the bottom line is that a system bios (that is the bit of code responsible for the first registers and memory addresses setup is critical) you can't ":skip it:" as you incorrectly stated earlier regardless of what does the "actual turning on" it still needs to be ON before you can do anything

frankly I don't care if the machine takes 5 or 0.50 seconds to boot to the OS-kernel stage the majority of the bottle neck is gonna be elseware on low end to midrange systems

Last edited:

rob80

Thanks joe12345!
Following your description, I successfully upgraded the graphics of my Xi1554 (Alienware 1.19 Bios) with a Acer HD4570. With the old X1900 1080 youtube videos and stuttered and CPU load was at 100%. Now with Catalyst 13.9 legacy, CPU is at 20-40%, GPU is at 30-50% and Youtube runs smoothly with 30fps on 1080.
I just had to Dremel 1mm of the cooler and handimake thread nuts to fix the cooler to the holes of the new card.
So I invested 75EUR and3 hrs. in my 7 years old machine I already thought about to replace, and now I have a good and now silent Couch-Laptop for the next years.
You saved me some hundred Euros, Thanks!

Successful mods:
AW-Bios1.19, 4GB RAM(3,6GB useable), WLan card with standard.n and external, directable antennas fixed to the Express-Card slot (now 150Mbit), HD4570.

thanos1071

Hello to all from Greece.
I found this forum as i was searching infos for my laptop.
I own a Fujitsu Siemens Xi 1526 and as i read, is the same as Alienware M5790.
My problem is, that my GPU has a problem (Nvidia Go7600M), so i have to replace it.
The thing is, that i don't know what to choose.
As a cheap solution, i decide to buy the below GeForce 9650M.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale-A...e_Composants_Cartes_Vidéo&hash=item2ecbf23f9e
Is it a compatible VGA or should i choose something else?
If you have any other suggestions, i would like you to know that i prefer a not used card and not very expensive.
Waiting for your replys...

rob80

Hello to all from Greece.
I found this forum as i was searching infos for my laptop.
I own a Fujitsu Siemens Xi 1526 and as i read, is the same as Alienware M5790.
My problem is, that my GPU has a problem (Nvidia Go7600M), so i have to replace it.
The thing is, that i don't know what to choose.
As a cheap solution, i decide to buy the below GeForce 9650M.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale-ASUS-NVidia-GeForce-9650M-GT-1GB-MXM-II-VGA-Card-G96-650-C1-C616MP2-/200990146462?pt=FR_GH_Informatique_Composants_Cartes_Vidéo&hash=item2ecbf23f9e
Is it a compatible VGA or should i choose something else?
If you have any other suggestions, i would like you to know that i prefer a not used card and not very expensive.
Waiting for your replys...

Read reply#7 of joe12345 in this thread - Citation:
"DO NOT pick Asus cards - they are reversed/mirrored compared (pinwise) to standard-confirm cards. Open MXM card on wikipedia and compare.
DO NOT pick Toshiba cards - their VGA BIOS is moved to the motherboard, they will NOT start.
DO NOT pick so called "Slave cards" - those are cards also used by alienware, that are connected via SLI bridge. They will not boot standalone, because their VGA BIOS will wait for VGA BIOS signal of a card with Master BIOS (Master card) to come. Either you will need to reflash their VGA BIOS in Master version blindly, or they will not boot.

Thats it. Mine was from Acer and is reported as "widely compatible", because its MXM standard, physically in layout and in BIOS."

So better look for Acer, there is a reason why they are more expensive...

rob80

Thank you for your answer.
What about this one? Will i have problems with this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-HD-457...41098720?pt=AU_Components&hash=item27bb0087e0

That is the one I also bought. So you have good chances. But no one can guarantee there will be no problems. I had to Dremel some millimeters of the heat sink to fit it to the large resistor in the upper corner. I used toothpaste to check how well the parts that need cooling fit to the heatsink. I used "M2 T-Buchse"(I m German and I found no proper translation, so please paste it to German Google to see a picture of what I mean), to fit the heatsink to the mounting holes of the card, as the old card had threads. The ones I bought were 3mm wide, but they did not completely fit to the mounting holes, so I had to grind off a few microns to make them fit. Maybe you have access to a proper turning machine. Finally, I used a 0,4mm copper foil with 14x14mm on the GPU as heatspreader. Maybe you need another thickness. Also get 0,5 and 1mm thick heat conductive foil, as you will have to replace some of the original foil, which tears easily . In my case, temperatures of CPU and GPU are well below 50°C, even at near 100% load, e.g. 60fps Youtube.

Good Luck!

rob80

One last question, is it better to buy this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-HD-457...41099348?pt=AU_Components&hash=item27bb008a54
because of the DDR3 memory and the holes that are ready for screws?
Sorry for to many questions...

You are welcome. This one also seems to fit. I dont think DDR3 will make much difference. The mounting threads could make things easier, but be sure to check for proper contact with the heat sink. As the price is identical, this would be better.

thanos1071

Hello again,
unfortunately the card didn't work with my laptop.
If someone has any suggestion, please write it in order to fix the problem...