1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What more for privacy now after the Wiki Leaks' Revelation!

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by lorraine walsh, Mar 16, 2017.

?

Do you do anything to protect your privacy?

1. Yes

44.7%
  2. No

18.4%
  3. Sometimes...

36.8%
  1. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I don't use any social networks so at least nobody can enter my private life

2. Killerdroid

Killerdroid

Thanks Received:
    Your operating system will help you out with that :)

3. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    If you really dive into the leaks you will see it is beyond just software. Some of this snooping/spying is being performed at the hardware level. Not much you can do in that sense except have the system completely offline.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    Killerdroid says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Killerdroid

Killerdroid

Thanks Received:
  6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It's an addiction, it's exactly what social media wants, and it has to stop.

Killerdroid and basco say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I have it configured to not to do that.
    Besides it doesn't leak so much personal information

8. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it has too, but you know as well as I do the genie is out of the bottle and it ain't going back in.

9. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Like any addiction, users have to make the conscious decision to break it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Harder though when the majority of a population is addicted, yes?

I couldn't function job-wise without my phone, but at least I run my own firmware on mine, and I'm not glued to it.

11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Not really no. Just close your account and you're done. If there's something important to discuss, your average dumb phone supports phone calls, texting, and many even emails.

If you're really a stickler for privacy, then go down to just phone calls. There's a plethora of regulations against wiretapping without a warrant. It also takes a lot of hardware and software resources to accurately convert speech to text. Recording conversations is forbidden too without jumping through a lot of hoops.

If you're obscenely proficient on privacy, use burner phones. :roll:

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    In my case, the inconvenience far outweighs the benefit.

Besides, you ever tried texting on a "dumb phone?" Not my idea of a fun day.

13. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. lorraine walsh

lorraine walsh

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for you votes and valuable comments!
    I really didn't know about TOR... I'm gonna remove it right away. About social media, you're all right about it. But, it is the new cool and honestly a lot of people don't care about their privacy! and the most important part is that social media is addictive.

15. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    I don't because there is not privacy.

16. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    The problem with activists for a secure internet isn't the methods in which they recommend you protect yourself but the idea itself.

The industry has taken an interesting turn since 2013/14. Yahoo is compromised every 2 weeks. Private and govt websites are broken into by parties now as well. You have a different type of social media presence. Wikileaks is something even non-computer literate people have heard of. The "battle for transparency" is something that has been going on for years.

no longer are programmers getting jobs at private security firms or taking a job with AV or research companies. Instead they are the defenders or mercenaries. They use their talent for good or bad depending on the amount of 0's on the check.

Your data is worth more than you know. The climate is such that the battleground is now cyberspace and the web as a whole. Honestly, you would be a fool for thinking you can master privacy on the internet. Remember they are no longer after your FB password. They will simply target the site itself.

It's a shame that I have to conclude that I think this way. This industry used to be much different. Now your baby cams and IoT devices are used in botnets, and surveillance. It's not even the govt doing it.

To be pointed anyone using the internet and demands any kind of privacy is on a soccer field with no clue they are playing a game. From a InfoSec perspective. The most you can do is limit the data you are going to post. You can NEVER post personal data and "protect" it.

You should be careful online. Taped webcams, VPNs and TOR will keep the ISP from sending you a cease and desist for downloading logan-2017-1080.mp4 and the tape might keep those viruses your ignoring from taking a peek. But they are realistically user end equivalents to wearing a sheet for warmth on a cold night.

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  17. lorraine walsh

lorraine walsh

Thanks Received:
    There are very few people who on't use social media!

I completely agree with what you said solaris17, but what I can do to protect myself is certainly better than not doing anything about it. I know It might not be 100% fool proof, but still it is a lot better than not doing anything about it!

18. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    Pisss nudge nudge wink you wanna buy some primo facebook time guarenteed not cut $80 a lid Gig

Definitely not me and by the way you can delete those pics of me wearing thongs and fish net stockings you don't have my consent to put then on .......................:)o_O:laugh:

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    If the Government really does have backdoors into Intel/AMD then there is nothing that can stop them. Encryption happens above the hardware level so if you have a binary backdoor to a cpu you have no limit on what you can track, audit, record and even inject. The possibility to inject code, files, Images, and Confidential material on your pc and then bust your for it is very real and very scary stuff.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Not using social media helps but not much. Every kind of soft/hardware uses tracking in one form or the other

21. jaggerwild

jaggerwild

Thanks Received:
    Tor was never compromised, the guy who got caught(owner of silk road)used his real life name to log in is how they caught him. Get yer facts straight before you spew dis information. Let me know I can link the video of Deffcon

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  22. MrGenius

MrGenius

Thanks Received: