• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What on earth is going on with my temps?!

crtecha

System Name Coolin Runnings
Processor AMD X4 Phenom 9950 B.E. @ 3.3ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790x-DS4 BIOS Ver. F6
Cooling CM Vortex 752
Memory apacer PC6400 800mhz x 2
Video Card(s) Two ATI Radeon 4850's in xfire
Storage Seagate 7200.9 320gig+250gigx2
Display(s) Acer P191w 19' wide
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Antec Power trio 550watts
Software Windows 7 x64 Build 7100
Good luck seems you got them down from yesterday

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Irfanview and Paint.NET are a couple of good free programs for cropping pictures. Save your images as either .jpg or .png and then use Imageshack to host pictures after that.

Hard for people to help you if they need a magnifying glass to see your results.
Go ahead and use some bandwidth at Imageshack. They have lots of storage room. :)

You can enclose the link from Imageshack in square brackets with the img html tags like this
[abc]http://img11.imageshack.us/blahblahblah.jpg[/abc]

Just replace abc with img and it should work.

You maximum temps still look a little high.

Edit: I think the "offset to tcc activation temp" number in the bios is equivalent to what RealTemp reports as Distance to TJMax. It looks like it is a direct reading of the Intel on chip sensors. The bios pic I saw of this feature only showed one number. I'm not sure if that number is an average of all cores or maybe just core 0.

Here's an example for comparison.

I took my Q6600 and dropped the MHz down to its default of 2400 MHz and reduced the core voltage to 1.256 volts so it would be somewhat similar to your setup.
My room temperature is cooler than yours at 20C but when running 3DMark06, the difference in temperature was only about 15C. It went from an average of 30C just before the test to 45C at the maximum during the test. 3DMark06 is not overly demanding of a Quad core CPU so I don't think your cores should be anywhere near 90C during this test. I used a Tuniq Tower for cooling on the minimum fan speed in a closed case with two low speed exhaust fans and no case intake fans. A cooler running 45nm Quad shouldn't have too much trouble equaling this change in temperature.

You can use the RealTemp / RivaTuner plug-in to have a look at how the load is distributed during a 3DMark06 bench run.

The only time all 4 cores are being used is during the two CPU tests which stutter along at 1 or 2 fps. For the most part, core2 and core3 are barely used at all. Most of the load is on core0 with some load on core1. Not including the two CPU tests, the overall load only averages just over 30%.

Last edited:

BradleyKZN

Processor AMD Athlon II X4 635
Motherboard Asus M4N78-SE
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-800
Video Card(s) XFX 7900GS
Storage Samsung 5000GB 7200RPM 16MB cache
Display(s) Samsung 22'' T220
Case Coolermaster 590
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek audio
Power Supply OCZ fatal1ty 550w
I reapplied thermalpaste, its coolermaster jetart which i have never heard of, but anyway i ran 3dmark and my max temps were at an average of 58 which i am happy with. I just want to OC till i reach 15000 on 3dmark06. Thanks for your help guys! EDIT: my temp to tcc is now -67 from -50 :)

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I'm happy to hear you've made some progress.

Jetart goes back a lot of years but looking at their line up for socket 775 processors, I don't see anything that is suitable for a Quad Core CPU. Maybe Coolermaster has made some improvements.

Air cooling has come a long way in the last few years so if you can't reach your goals at a safe temperature, there are plenty of better performing options available depending on your budget.

BradleyKZN

Processor AMD Athlon II X4 635
Motherboard Asus M4N78-SE
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-800
Video Card(s) XFX 7900GS
Storage Samsung 5000GB 7200RPM 16MB cache
Display(s) Samsung 22'' T220
Case Coolermaster 590
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek audio
Power Supply OCZ fatal1ty 550w
Then welcome to TPU! You should go to the games section, there are loads of WOW players around