• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What PSUs do you buy??....

What make of PSU do you buy??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leiesoldat

lazy gamer & woodworker
Supporter
System Name Arda
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570-I AORUS Pro WiFi
Cooling Custom Loop - Aquacomputer, Optimus, EK, Bykski
Memory GSkill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC RX 6800XT
Storage SK Hynix P41 1TB
Display(s) VIOTEK 3440 x 1440 144 Hz Curved
Case XTIA Proto-XL
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Schiit Jotunheim
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850W Titanium
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 Zy's Rail Wireless
Keyboard Rainkeebs Yasui - Custom 40% Ortholinear
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm just waiting on reviews of the Seasonic SPX 750 (sfx platinum) to come out. I reached out to Seasonic customer support a couple months ago to ask about potential release date and they said Q4 of 21 (assuming calendar year not fiscal). I like to keep the power supply at 50% of the load, and based on current power readings from my system, the 750W range is right at the sweetspot.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
instead of the companies who stick labels on other people's stuff (Corsair, EVGA).

Why not? Brands often do a better job on the front end of the business (marketing, sales channels, customer service, et.,) than a company who just mainly focuses on the back end but little effort on the front end. The two companies you mention have some of the best customer service out there in PC hardware. I'm not saying you should go with a company that "sticks labels on people stuff" (majority of tech hardware business by the way) but you shouldn't discount them either.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard AsRock B550M Pro4
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 Esports
Memory 32GB (4x8gb) Hynix 3466mhz CL17 (2x8 Team Dark Z DDR4-4000 CL18 + 2x8 Vcolor Prism DDR4-3466 CL17)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1660 Super 6gb
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1tb NVME + 500gb Samsung HDD
Display(s) Triple monitor setup w/ Viewsonic 1080p 144hz main + 2 Dell Ultrasharps
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 w/ 3x Arctic F14 PWM + 3X Arctic F12 PWM
Audio Device(s) Logitech X530 5.1 Spearkers + Beyer Dynamic DT770 PRO's driven by a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX750i 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Leopold FC750R Cherry MX Brown
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional x64
That those brands don't intend 24/7 use under their warranty. Yes the SRT made seasonic S12iii comes with a globe sleeve bearing fan and most of sleeve bearing fans are 30k hrs + in lifespan. I'm not talking about specs but rather what people at Seasonic have told me. They believe in the warranty for their PSU (both OEM & outsourced) 24/7 operation. Would I personally use it under those conditions? No.

Tony, aka Taz, has them and was in the process of converting the old site into a more modern site.

on his personal site Jon had a "tier" list of the corsair lines that was useful on what each line brought to the table. Not sure if he still has it up?
He does and there are other resources there.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Will be Grabbing a 650 Gold or Platinum SS/SF unit for a 5800X build.

D

Deleted member 215115

Why not? Brands often do a better job on the front end of the business (marketing, sales channels, customer service, et.,) than a company who just mainly focuses on the back end but little effort on the front end. The two companies you mention have some of the best customer service out there in PC hardware. I'm not saying you should go with a company that "sticks labels on people stuff" (majority of tech hardware business by the way) but you shouldn't discount them either.
I'd like to not need their customer service at all. Or never to find out how good or bad their RMA process is. That's the point.

Case fancier than yours
I'd like to not need their customer service at all. Or never to find out how good or bad their RMA process is. That's the point.
I got that from your initial post and that's a fine reason for you but understand some people may also be on the flips side of that and on the off chance there is an issue would rather deal with a company that has good customer service & RMA process.

D

Deleted member 215115

I got that from your initial post and that's a fine reason for you but understand some people may also be on the flips side of that and on the off chance there is an issue would rather deal with a company that has good customer service & RMA process.
Sure, I understand, but there's a reason why some companies have great customer support. They need it. Others just focus on making great products instead.

Case fancier than yours
Sure, I understand, but there's a reason why some companies have great customer support. They need it. Others just focus on making great products instead.
you can do both, it is possible

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
This is why there is no harm in overspec'ing a unit, you really can't predict the exact wattage loads the unit will see over the course of it's life and with upgrades, these loads will change.
Having to buy a new unit everytime you upgrade is just a waste of money, I'm always thinking "Buy once, buy right" and it's always worked out to be the best option out of whatever can be done based on such criteria.
I'll admit the age of the unit is a factor but if setting things up so it doesn't have to work as hard over the course of time, it's going to last a least a little longer which makes it cheaper to do.

There is also the expected rise in price over time as well, what was kinda cheap back then is more expensive now and it seems everything PC related is getting crazy expensive now. Throw in the thing about scalpers affecting the available supply and pricing too, overall shortages in what's available in the first place and it just makes even more sense to do it this way.
That's why I got the units I have now, these were relatively cheap back then and units of the same wattage (1600W) now are about the same each as I gave for both of these I've got.

I'm ahead in terms of $$ here and don't regret buying these in the least, plus these units being what they are will never have to work too hard so they'll last for awhile yet.

While I also wouldn't completely cheap out on PSUs I don't really care about this 'future upgrades' part.
If you know very well that you are never buying high end hardware and always stay in the budget-mid range at most then its a non issue.

I had 650W Cooler Master '650 MWE Gold' in my PC for 2 years and it never had to deal with more than 250W of usage, what a great use of that PSU right.
Now I'm using a 500W with about the same power draw, not exactly planning to put anything power hungry in the system either in foreseeable future so why would I buy something I will never need.

Honestly I never had this issue that I had to buy a new PSU just because I happened to upgrade, guess I just don't have the money to buy power hungry high end parts ever huh. :laugh:

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
you can do both, it is possible

One could argue necessary. Even if you make great products, say at a 0.5% instance rate (which is really good), for every million units you have five thousand customers with issues.

Memory 32GB (4x8gb) Hynix 3466mhz CL17 (2x8 Team Dark Z DDR4-4000 CL18 + 2x8 Vcolor Prism DDR4-3466 CL17)
Display(s) Triple monitor setup w/ Viewsonic 1080p 144hz main + 2 Dell Ultrasharps
Audio Device(s) Logitech X530 5.1 Spearkers + Beyer Dynamic DT770 PRO's driven by a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z
Mouse Logitech G502
I do think customer support varies enough from brand to brand that it should be a factor in the consideration of a particular PSU.

It wouldn't be the first thing I'd consider by far, but definitely noteworthy.

However it is pretty subjective which companies have best support, for various reasons. One main thing I have seen is that every employee will vary within a company.

One experience I had was with XFX on rmaing a failed GPU. I have heard good of their support, but I did not find their support all that good. Although the employee spoke clear English, they were not pleasent and sounded unhappy. Maybe they were having a bad day? They ended up denying the RMA because of a problem with the proof of purchase, but they never bothered to email me or otherwise contact me that it was denied, or even give me a reason.

Right now I have an EVGA PSU I purchased refurbished from EVGA directly. It works fine most of the time, but sometimes just won't turn on and the fan twitches. Let it sit and it will probably work the next day. According to their policy on refurbished products, if I were to return it to them and it would happen to work fine for their test, they would send it back and bill me for shipping. I would have to pay to ship it to them in the first place too. That makes it not even worth it for a unit that cost me $30 to start with.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Spec'ing a PSU "Just for" the total wattage of the system isn't really a good idea.

Some headroom for power/load spikes should be taken into consideraton so if that happens the unit will handle it no prob. It's also easier on the unit if it's not already running at 100% capacity all the time which is not a good idea, the nominal load value of a PSU is around 80% of it's rated wattage continuous. Yes, I know units are designed to go over this spec'ed value at times but then again it's not good for it to see it bumping the ceiling all the time either.

This kind of strain will take it's toll over time, just how it is and by making things a little easier on the unit in use helps to ensure it living a long, happy life if it's going to at all.
It's better for the system itself too, doesn't make sense to risk subjecting it to a simulated "Brown Out" condition over and over again because it's starving for power and we know what brown outs can do to electronics and electrical stuff in general.

Using your example of 700W if you were to then add 20% of that value you'd come up with 140W making an 850W the ideal unit to go for. Not much difference in the cost vs the potential benefits of doing it this way.

Well.... That's actually true to a point.
For the reasons I gave above is part of "Why" it's not a bad idea to get one a little larger than the total expected load of the system.

As for "Future Proof" the ones I've got, being 1600W units can handle those 700W RTX 4 series cards right now without issue and I bought these PSU's at least 5 years ago - So there you go.

If I were to get one of those, no need to go out and spend even more $$ for a replacement PSU on top of the cost of the card too when what I already have can handle the power demand for it.
That's just good value for the $$ I spent back then which, BTW was less than a equivalent PSU unit for such today.
I bought mine in 2014 anticipating a crossfire heavy oc setup.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
While I also wouldn't completely cheap out on PSUs I don't really care about this 'future upgrades' part.
If you know very well that you are never buying high end hardware and always stay in the budget-mid range at most then its a non issue.

I had 650W Cooler Master '650 MWE Gold' in my PC for 2 years and it never had to deal with more than 250W of usage, what a great use of that PSU right.
Now I'm using a 500W with about the same power draw, not exactly planning to put anything power hungry in the system either in foreseeable future so why would I buy something I will never need.

Honestly I never had this issue that I had to buy a new PSU just because I happened to upgrade, guess I just don't have the money to buy power hungry high end parts ever huh. :laugh:
Your own words here just validated what I was saying earlier about over spec'ing the capacity of a unit for a system.
I can't afford parts as I used to and that's one reaon why I got what I did back then, I knew (For me) slim times were coming, went ahead and got these for the long haul.
Mind you these aren't the only PSU's I got around but they are my mainstays.

To this day I still have the one I bought way back in 2007/2008 that runs well (PC Power & Cooling 750W "Silencer") and not afraid to use it in anything it's capable of handling these days.
Overspec'ed back when I bought it for the system I had it in and it's lived a VERY happy and long life.
From checking the caps on occasion for swelling due to sheer age and just keeping it clean (Blow the dust out) that's all I have to do aside from just running it.

System Name The Sparing-No-Expense Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black
Memory 32GB: 2x16GB Patriot Viper Steel 3600MHz C18
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3060Ti Founder's Edition
Storage 500GB 970 Evo Plus NVMe, 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) AOC C24G1 144Hz 24" 1080p Monitor
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Power Supply Seasonic X-650 Gold PSU (SS-650KM3)
Software Windows 11 Home 64-bit
some companies have great customer support. They need it. Others just focus on making great products instead.
There are some arguments you shouldn't make. This is one of them.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I didn't have a brand preference until I bought my Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 550 W. It's the quietest and most stable PSU I've ever had. Not to mention the 12-year warranty which you don't get with other brands.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Your own words here just validated what I was saying earlier about over spec'ing the capacity of a unit for a system.
I can't afford parts as I used to and that's one reaon why I got what I did back then, I knew (For me) slim times were coming, went ahead and got these for the long haul.
Mind you these aren't the only PSU's I got around but they are my mainstays.

To this day I still have the one I bought way back in 2007/2008 that runs well (PC Power & Cooling 750W "Silencer") and not afraid to use it in anything it's capable of handling these days.
Overspec'ed back when I bought it for the system I had it in and it's lived a VERY happy and long life.
From checking the caps on occasion for swelling due to sheer age and just keeping it clean (Blow the dust out) that's all I have to do aside from just running it.

Well, my first ever own built system was back in 2008 after I graduated in school and that PC had a 500W Chieftec smart PSU in it.
That PSU lasted/served me for 8 years and I never put anything in my builds that needed more than that. '8800GT/GTS 450/GTX 560 Ti/HD 7770 and a GTX 950 Xtreme for a few months before I put that PSU to the rest'

I even used a budget 450W Thermaltake for ~2+ years since all it had to power is a i 3 4160 and a decently factory oced GTX 950.
Still have that PSU around as a emergency backup and it saved me once already when I was troubleshooting my PC earlier this year.

The 650W Cooler Master MWE I had for ~2 years only had to deal with my 1600x and a undervolted RX 570 so again not even remotely needed.
After that PSU kicked the bucket I went back to a more reasonable 500W unit thats under my specs now.

So basically ever since 2008 I never needed anything higher than a 500W PSU since I'm just not in the market for that kind of hardware and this doesn't seem to change.
Obviously this is something everyone should know themselves.:)

Last edited:
System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
My first choice is Seasonic. I am still running a Seasonic X-Series 850W KM3. Runs like a champ and still has GREAT voltage regulation. Go it in 2016 I believe for $69 shipped brand new from Newegg. Can't get that lucky anymore on pricing. lol.

Second is Super Flower. I know the brand. Not big over here in the states but they are starting to make a dent in it. I'd put them in the same quality league as Seasonic on their premium lines.

Case fancier than yours
Wait what? I think I missed something.. Or you quoted the wrong person..
my apologies Lex, I did quote the wrong person. I intended to reply to ryzenmaster when he stated the seasonic focus issues.

System Name Apex Raptor: Silverback
Processor Intel i9 13900KS 6.2GHz/Allcore5.9
Motherboard z790 Apex
Cooling LT720 360mm + Phanteks T30
Memory 32GB @8000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Storage 990 PRO 2TB / Firecuda 530 2TB
Display(s) Neo G8 / C1 65"
Case Antec Performance 1
Audio Device(s) DT 1990 Pro / Motu M2
Power Supply Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w
Mouse Scimitar Pro
Keyboard K95 Platinum
Last 4 ive bought have been either seasonic or superflower oem (couldnt buy actual superflower back then), the one prior to these 4 was Coolermaster (no idea who made their psus back then) which replaced some enermax psu that i got fooled into buying due to good reviews (failed after a week)

Mouse Logitech G502
my apologies Lex, I did quote the wrong person. I intended to reply to ryzenmaster when he stated the seasonic focus issues.
It wasn't just Seasonic units though, there were others that had similar issues. GPUs shouldn't be spiking to so much more than rated TDP, and therefore I wouldn't fault SeaSonic for not designing their units to handle that..

Case fancier than yours
It wasn't just Seasonic units though, there were others that had similar issues. GPUs shouldn't be spiking to so much more than rated TDP, and therefore I wouldn't fault SeaSonic for not designing their units to handle that..
I would hold them accountable in that they could have done better in house testing. If you recall the initial version of those focus PSU also had issues with certain Nvidia & AMD video cards. Other OEMs offering similar quality units did not have such issues. It doesn't make them a bad OEM but they are hardly the irreproachable PSU maker some people make them out to be.