1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What should I do to get my USB 3.0 to truly work? Will I need a hub?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by harly, Jan 11, 2014.

1. harly New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've just recently bought a new laptop which includes USB 3.0 ports. Here is the thing they may be slow very slow. My external HDD and my flash drives support high speed USB but my flash usually only gets around 7 mbps and my 1T external only goes up to about 25 mbps. We have tried our USB ports all the same. Even checked device manage to confirm that I have 3. 0 that has been enhanced ports. I don't get what’s going on. If somebody might help me it might be greatly appreciated.

2. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    in order to get a truly USB 3.0 speed, your flash drive should have same USB 3.0 hardware. Same goes for your external HDD.

can you tell us exactly model of your USB flash drive and external HDD. would be beneficial if you also tell us model of your new laptop

3. flmatter

flmatter

Thanks Received:
    what laptop do you have make and model? What is the make and model #'s of your externals?
    also are your external devices usb 3.0? just saying they support high speed means nothing because usb 2.0 says high speed data transfer as well. If you are plugging a usb 2.0 into a 3.0 slot, it will only run at 2.0 speeds and the same if you plug 2.0 into a 1.1/1.0 slot it will run at 1.1/1.0 speeds. But double check that your externals are usb 3.0.

obviously me and night.fox were writing at same time lol :)

night.fox says thanks.
  4. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    and have same thoughts. your explanation is better though. just a bit lazy to type more. lol

OP, its like this..... imagine a 10mb/s input, it will still have 10mb/s even the hub is 1000 mb/s.

flmatter says thanks.
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If port is USB3, there is a driver behind the USB3 ports, device is USB3, device is capable of moving data faster than 60 MB/s, and you are seeing transfer speeds less than 60 MB/s, check the BIOS for anything pertaining to USB and play with it. For example, if there is an option pertaining to "Legacy USB," disable it. If there's something about "Enhanced USB" enable it. BIOS authors have been doing some really silly stuff in regards to USB3 so never assume the option to make it work is obvious.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure it just comes down to the confusion between "high speed" USB, which is USB 2.0 and "super speed" USB, which is USB 3.0.

flmatter says thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It's pretty easy to tell if USB3 is supported: it will have 8 electrical contacts instead of 4.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    one tip on this USB 3.0 thing..... mostly, they use blue connectors (inside the plug) rather than black. unless stated otherwise.

9. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    On my usb 3 external, i am getting 100MB/s read/write.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. larrymoencurly

larrymoencurly

Thanks Received:
    The limitation may be those high speed devices because USB 3.0 requires super speed to work at its fastest, and there seem to be problems with some super speed connections from making good contact because the plastic ribs separating the 5 pins at the front of the socket are too wide to let the plug's pins from slipping between them.