• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What tangible benefits do you notice after NVCleanstalling a driver?

(tl;dr) Beyond peace-of-mind, what tangible benefits do people notice after NVCleanstalling drivers?

--
I've used NVCleanstall for a long time; it's an awesome tool and I'm utmost appreciative of all the effort and time that goes into developing it. As of late, however, I've been experiencing an increasing number of issues that I've found to be stemming from use of NVCleanstall, issues ranging from the trivial:
  • Driver signature failure freezing bulk machine installs
To the less trivial, like:
  • EAC warnings of failed driver integrity
  • GPU video renderer being disabled
  • Geforce Experience features either missing or not working (despite installing all NVC recommended/required modules)
  • HD Audio sleep timer tweak not applying (having to do it by hand via registry)
  • Misc. software error'ing about missing Nvidia .DLLs, like EVGA Precision, having to manually download and insert these dll's myself (names currently escape me beyond "Nv*.dll"s, but I know they do get installed via full untouched driver installs).
I know this is largely on Nvidia's shoulders with the ever increasing amount of bloat being packed into driver packages, and worse, components increasingly interdependent on each other. E.g., you wouldn't think it'd be a problem to cut out "Nvidia Shield/controller" modules from your driver install, until you later find that Geforce Experience Overlay breaks without them.

After NVCleanstalling the latest driver only to find that GE features were broken despite including the req/rec'd components, I decided to experiment foregoing NVC and just install the full bloated shebang, anticipating having to clean up messes as they manifest. I haven't noticed anything crazy yet.

And so I'm wondering, for those who install more than just the base GPU drivers (which NVC can cut down perfectly), what tangible benefits do you see by using NVC? I'm genuinely interested, not trying to debate or put anyone/anything down.

EDIT:
To clarify: I'm not attacking NVC. It's worked great for a while now, it just seems we're fighting an uphill battle against software/driver bloat, updates, and telemetry. I used to fight the good fight against Microsoft's obscene (ab)use of Windows 10's updating + telemetry, until I increasingly found more and more things broken, sometimes even unrepairable if interdependent components had been held back updating and no longer had parity with their updated counterparts.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I've been using 1.8.0, not 1.9.0, and it seems to bypass a good number of your issues. Specifically the EAC errros don't happen with it.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
I just download and use NV driver straight from their website, still have no idea why avoiding telemetry is such a big idea in a world where people post personal info onto social media every day.

Kinda funny listening to people bragging about disabling telemetry on Reddit :kookoo: .

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I just download and use NV driver straight from their website, still have no idea why avoiding telemetry is such a big idea in a world where people post personal info onto social media every day.

Kinda funny listening to people bragging about disabling telemetry on Reddit :kookoo: .
That, and you can still install the driver without GFE just fine through regular setup.

Ive found most tweaks are eventually maintenance heavy, so the only tine I tweak away from the norm, is when I have a specific need to do so. Performance wise or in behaviour.

Wrt telemetry... its as inconsequential here as it is with Windows. We have already seen the benefits of it. They align with user and system oriented improvements and help bugfixing. There is no personal signature involved to serve you ads or anything.

System Name Money Guilt / immortal X58
Processor 5600X / X5660
Motherboard MSI B550 GAMING PLUS / MSI-x58-PLAT
Cooling Cooler Master - Hyper 212 / Monsoon 3 Dual 120 fans
Memory OLOy WarHawk 2x8 / 2x4 gig Gskill 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060 Ti FTW3 / R9 290 Powercolor PCS+
Storage Crucial P5 1TB / 128gig Samsung D830 2x1 Terabyte Seagates Raid0
Display(s) VIOTEK 32-In 2560x1440 Curved 144Hz / Acer 22in 1920x1080 120Hertz
Case NZXT - H510 Compact / Thermaltake V9 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Audigy FX
Power Supply CORSAIR - RM Series 750W / Ocz 700 Modular
Mouse G403 / basic
Keyboard G15 / basic
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/spy/18067733, http://www.3dmark.com/fs/24836348 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11606
I had a R290 since 2015 AMD. When I first installed the Nvidia drivers everything works....but I was upset I had to create a Nvidia account to use the GForce experience. After a few weeks I needed to update the driver. I went to uninstall nvdia and had to restart 2x and soon as windows starts Nvidia is already installing un-authorized bloat. To get a clean install you must be fast then have 50 features that are useless to me. I used NVCLEAN a few times I checked some things to test and if something did not work I left it. The end result was me having control of the needed bloat. I used EVGA precision X for clock and fan control...All games I play work perfect..including hours of Warzone or Black Ops with max settings at 2160x1440 locked at 144 refresh rate...smooth gaming. AND NO NVIDIA POP UPS.

Capture.PNG

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
best case in using NVCleanstall is not having problems.

zero gains in performance, sometimes issues like for example with a 3060 at launch that was completely unstable with NVC Drivers but completely fine without.

i see no reason to use this software tbh.

System Name Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45-R715)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard AMD Promontory / Bixby FCH
Cooling Acer Nitro Sense
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Graphics (Cezanne) / NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ
Display(s) BOE CQ NE156QHM-NY3
Software Windows 11 beta channel
The most tangible benefit is the feature "Add Hardware Support".
  • Fermi GeForce users who are stuck with 391.35 can update to latest Fermi Quadro driver (392.65 atm)
  • Mobile Kepler users who are stuck with 425.31 can update to latest R465 Game read drivers.
  • Users who replaced their notebook GPU with an aftermarket model or flashed a wrong system BIOS can install drivers in spite of messed up subsystem.

D

Deleted member 205776

Not having a bunch of NVIDIA shit I don't need or use on my system. That's the main benefit. If I install the driver regularly while unchecking everything, it still has a million different NVIDIA tasks in the background, whereas with NVcleanstall it only has like two.

I don't care if the software gives me performance gains or not. That's not what I'm after. I don't need GeForce Experience, I don't need NVIDIA Share, I have OBS for that. I only want the main graphics driver, thanks.

It's also nice to be able to enable Message Signaled Intrerrupts from within the software.

Last edited by a moderator:

PastaSource

Literally just made an account to counter some of the BS here. There are many reasons why you'd want to use NVCleanstall instead of using the official drivers. As a producer who not only uses their computer for gaming, but for audio work, being able to strip back the driver to its bare components is essential. I've noticed considerable improvements in both audio latency and stability since using NVCleanstall. This isn't placebo, this can be measured using Latencymon to prove that it does make a difference.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I now have to try this for science.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Literally just made an account to counter some of the BS here. There are many reasons why you'd want to use NVCleanstall instead of using the official drivers. As a producer who not only uses their computer for gaming, but for audio work, being able to strip back the driver to its bare components is essential. I've noticed considerable improvements in both audio latency and stability since using NVCleanstall. This isn't placebo, this can be measured using Latencymon to prove that it does make a difference.

What's the BS you noticed then? I think the summary of this topic is that it has its uses, if you're in a specific use case with Geforce products.

But its certainly not by definition one size fits all, the original driver does that quite a lot better. Its not the intent of NVCleanstall either, so that is just fine IMHO.

For a gamer, audio processing latency for example is completely irrelevant.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Makes sense to me. Ill have to give that a shot, though the bigger obstacle Ive always encountered with PC audio workstations is noise on the USB bus... Or general interference from high power stuff. Id sooner ditch the high end GPU, personally. Skip all of that. Though sometimes compromise is simply nessesary. Gotta game. In an ideal world I would have a second rig running a low power or integrated graphics solution, myself.

DarkPoe

I concur with the OP... Striping something breaks nVIDIA Filters for my Warzone (haven't tried anymore games)