• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What video card provides...

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
I know this is a strange question but I would really like to know what video card provides the best sound.
Since HDMI is the new normal for hooking up sound equipment (Home theater style. ) Why are sound cards still not HDMI or even have true Dolby atmos?
And since I use my computer for 99% of all my entertainment needs and since the Denon AVR is the main amp for sound.
Please no generic lame answers, I know that there is True Dolby Atmos and DTX and lots of other sound settings that creators us e for there media. There can NOT be a generic answer. Somewhere down the line the sound they moved from a simple sound card to on board sound to HDMI.
I want the one video card out that can pass through True Dolby Atmos sound there just HAS to be some thing I am missing.
PCM ( Pulse Code Modulation) IS NOT TRUE FING DOLBY ATMOS, It's NOT even close to any of that!
So there HAS to be some thing for this or am I missing something?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
They are all the same. All the nVidia cards use the nVidia sound card, all the AMD cards use the AMD sound card. Video card makers aren't building special sound equipment into video cards.

System Name Mini efficient rig.
Processor R9 3900, @4ghz -0.05v offset. 110W peak.
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H, bios f41 pcie 4.0 unlocked.
Cooling some server blower @1500rpm
Memory 2x16GB oem Samsung D-Die. 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RX 6600 Pulse w/conductonaut @65C hotspot
Storage 1x 128gb nvme Samsung 950 Pro - 4x 1tb sata Hitachi 2.5" hdds
Display(s) Samsung C24RG50FQI
Case Jonsbo C2 (almost itx sized)
Audio Device(s) integrated Realtek crap
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-750FX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Redragon K539 brown switches
Software Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 + Windows 10 21H2 LTSC (patched).
Benchmark Scores Cinebench: R15 3050 pts, R20 7000 pts, R23 17800 pts, r2024 1050 pts.
HDMI is digital. So is the audio part of it.
But digital is not as good as analog :)

ps
in an hdmi interface there are only a few pins dedicated for audio. So it is pointless to have a sound card with HDMI (unless it is a weird one that also sends some video and stuff).

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
The signal is digital so it doesnt matter. What matters the most is your choice of AVR (audio processor) and speakers as those are the two components that will be processing and outputting sound.

Thats why AVRs and speakers costs can run into the thousands for an extremely good setup.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
So wait hold on, The HDMI signal is both video and audio? And the AVR is the "decoder" so the video card has nothing to do with the sound, Yet the sound comes from the video HDMI port as a digital signal that passes through to my AVR and it takes that (Probably 2 Chanel signal ) and Produces the DTX and Atmos sound I hear? That is a lot of heavy lifting.
So that leaves no need at for any sound card or DAC unit because the HDMI signal is 4K so the sound sound be HD as well.
WOW how confusing. SO sound cards are a relic then. :(
And yeah even a digital signal has some degradation and the sound signal passes through the video card yet is not processed till it gets to the AVR.
would it not stand to reason that there is some kind of video sound passing through the card if so then there has to be some sorta time taken for this.
Like with 1080p it can not do 4k so you have to upgrade right?

So what is going on in the digital sound world and the video world?

The signal is digital so it doesnt matter. What matters the most is your choice of AVR (audio processor) and speakers as those are the two components that will be processing and outputting sound.

Thats why AVRs and speakers costs can run into the thousands for an extremely good setup.
Yeah I am at $2,500.00 maybe a bit more. But I am extremely happy with this setup just looking to improve whatever I can I am getting really Anal and all OCD on this Audiophile system.

Last edited:
Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
So wait hold on, The HDMI signal is both video and audio? And the AVR is the "decoder" so the video card has nothing to do with the sound, Yet the sound comes from the video HDMI port as a digital signal that passes through to my AVR and it takes that (Probably 2 Chanel signal ) and Produces the DTX and Atmos sound I hear? That is a lot of heavy lifting.
So that leaves no need at for any sound card or DAC unit because the HDMI signal is 4K so the sound sound be HD as well.
And yeah even a digital signal has some degradation and the sound signal passes through the video card yet is not processed till it gets to the AVR.
would it not stand to reason that there is some kind of video sound passing through the card if so then there has to be some sorta time taken for this.
Like with 1080p it can not do 4k so you have to upgrade right?

So what is going on in the digital sound world and the video world?

Yeah I am at $2,500.00 maybe a bit more. But I am extremely happy with this setup just looking to improve whatever I can I am getting really Anal and all OCD on this Audiophile system.

There's no degradation, as the data is sent again if there's a problem with it originally. There's no attenuation or degradation of the signal, like there is with analog signals.

That's right, there's no need for a sound card these days, unless you want to hook up some headphones or something without an HDMI input.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
There's no degradation, as the data is sent again if there's a problem with it originally. There's no attenuation or degredation of the signal, like there is with analog signals.

That's right, there's no need for a sound card these days, unless you want to hook up some headphones or something without an HDMI input.
But there is no signal processing on card so what or where is that digital signal coming from?

The HDMI signal is both video and audio? And the AVR is the "decoder" so the video card has nothing to do with the sound, Yet the sound comes from the video HDMI port as a digital signal that passes through to my AVR and it takes that (Probably 2 Chanel signal ) and Produces the DTX and Atmos sound I hear? So that leaves no need at for any sound card or DAC unit because the HDMI signal is 4K so the sound sound be HD as well.
To be precise, HDMI devices are only required to support the baseline audio standard, which is pretty low (2-channel stereo, 16 bit 32khz PCM). The HDMI standard allows for much better audio resolution such as 8-channel DTS-HD, but individual HDMI devices may not support it. So, while in theory, digital signals roam the entire known multiverse unchanged and undegraded, but whenever they cross a boundary that requires format conversion, they may lose something in translation.

Why the frowny face? Remember the old Buggles hit and sing to the tune: "HDMI killed the audio card...."

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Why the frowny face? Remember the old Buggles hit and sing to the tune: "HDMI killed the audio card...."
Yes LOL.
These pages have some useful info. Using Google-Fu ;)

Yeah I found that first one too and well by the looks of it they do have a sound format so yeah I need a better video card if I want better sound digitally.
So the video card does have to have a sound interface or digital place for sound processing.
And this is just what I am talking about. There is NO way in hell that signal was coming in as DTX or DD or Atmos. If so my AVR system would tell me. All I get is PCM THAT IS FING NOT DD DTX DTXS OR ATMOS! I have played every fing Youtube BS Atmos 4k bullshit video and my system says ONE FING THING! PCM ! That gives me Multichannel Dolby surround Some other stuff that also makes no sense like virtual-x and some other crap. NOTHING at all says that signal is ATMOS or DTS or DDS at all! or my AVR would show it.
So there is that.

There is literally no way Youtube would be able to send a DDS or DTX or even Atmos signal through over the internet NO WAY IN HELL that signal is ever coming through, MY AVR would CHANGE automatically to that signal! I know it does it automatically! And as of yet not ONE fucking thing from the internet has come across full atmos NOT EVER!

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Yeah windows will show what your setup is capable of, take no notice of the Toshiba TV for some reason it displays that and not the AV some do and some don't like the Marantz i had showed the AV.

You set it up though the sound options like how many speakers you have and all that and if windows apply's it's own crap.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Sound cards are antiquated technology and have been for years. Having a sound chips in a case is goin to introduce electronic interference. It only makes sense to move the digital signal to an external source. Optical is good but has limitation to the bandwidth.

As far as the digital vs analog. Well if you like analog then use all analog, clicks and pops can add something so music. But a true analog system has no PC at all. I have a guitar with a tube amp, my system cannot reproduce the sound I get from it. Not even close

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Where do you think the chips are that provide HDMI support?

There's not enough interference in there to change a 0 to a 1 or the PC would not function.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Yes LOL.

Yeah I found that first one too and well by the looks of it they do have a sound format so yeah I need a better video card if I want better sound digitally.
So the video card does have to have a sound interface or digital place for sound processing.
And this is just what I am talking about. There is NO way in hell that signal was coming in as DTX or DD or Atmos. If so my AVR system would tell me. All I get is PCM THAT IS FING NOT DD DTX DTXS OR ATMOS! I have played every fing Youtube BS Atmos 4k bullshit video and my system says ONE FING THING! PCM ! That gives me Multichannel Dolby surround Some other stuff that also makes no sense like virtual-x and some other crap. NOTHING at all says that signal is ATMOS or DTS or DDS at all! or my AVR would show it.
So there is that.

There is literally no way Youtube would be able to send a DDS or DTX or even Atmos signal through over the internet NO WAY IN HELL that signal is ever coming through, MY AVR would CHANGE automatically to that signal! I know it does it automatically! And as of yet not ONE fucking thing from the internet has come across full atmos NOT EVER!
You realize you have a gtx1050 (according to system specs), and that pascal based gpu has everything you need, right...? Look at the chart again, bud.

AFAIK, YT only outputs stereo...makes sense you aren't seeing anything above that. Ask Google if YT supports atmos...read the responses.

Why not run spdif from PC to AVR? Wouldn't that pass any signals through and let the AVR decode w/e it is?

Are you using the hdmi for video as well or just audio?

Last edited:
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Where do you think the chips are that provide HDMI support?

HDMI has no analog processing on the card. The digital signal is not effected by electrical noise

There are some sound cards and motherboard that attempt to provide shielding against it, and work fairly well. Most of the high end sound cards come with shielding

Last edited:
There's not enough interference in there to change a 0 to a 1 or the PC would not function.
That's a function of the signal being digital rather than analog, not because the audio processing is integrated into HDMI. The statement to which I replied claimed that a discrete sound card would always suffer from interference, which is incorrect.

The statement to which I replied claimed that a discrete sound card would always suffer from interference, which is incorrect.
Now your back tracking, not what I said. I said "Having a sound chips in a case is goin to introduce electronic interference" I also clarified later in the reply that some cards have shielding.
I get that some are still using sounds cards. I did for years and I have a few in the closet, maybe there not completely done but rather there are better options now.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Memory 32 GB 3600 MT/s CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage 2x 500 GB SSD, 2x 3 TB HDD
Case Phanteks P300A
Software Manjaro Linux, W10 if I have to
HDMI is digital. So is the audio part of it.
But digital is not as good as analog :)

ps
in an hdmi interface there are only a few pins dedicated for audio. So it is pointless to have a sound card with HDMI (unless it is a weird one that also sends some video and stuff).
Digital is not as good? Then I hope you're not using computers anywhere in your audio system, because they only deal in digital. Vinyl and cassette tapes are great but they only go so far lol.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
All I can say is this.
If the signal that is coming through my system to the AVR is True Dolby surround sound or Atmos or DTS My AVR would show that signal coming through as such. But there has yet to be one digital signal that comes from the internet that is true digital Dolby surround sound.
Yeah you can sure get that 4K and 8K look from the viewing platform but from the sound area it sucks ass.
Show me ONE of them BS videos on Youtube that is true Atmos or even true digital surround sound even.
There is only one way so far that I have seen the DTX and Dolby logos on my AVR and that is when I play a Blue-ray disk. So something some where is fucked and it aint on my END!

All I can say is this.
If the signal that is coming through my system to the AVR is True Dolby surround sound or Atmos or DTS My AVR would show that signal coming through as such. But there has yet to be one digital signal that comes from the internet that is true digital Dolby surround sound.
Yeah you can sure get that 4K and 8K look from the viewing platform but from the sound area it sucks ass.
Show me ONE of them BS videos on Youtube that is true Atmos or even true digital surround sound even.
There is only one way so far that I have seen the DTX and Dolby logos on my AVR and that is when I play a Blue-ray disk. So something some where is fucked and it aint on my END!
I just posted (and you thanked it)/told you that YT only presents in stereo...what's fucked on your end is understanding that you aren't getting more than stereo from YT in the first place. :p

There's this for streaming - https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-stream-dolby-atmos-from-netflix-itunes-vudu-and-amazon/#:~:text=If you want to get,of four Atmos streaming sources.

Google... fookn amazing!

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I just posted (and you thanked it)/told you that YT only presents in stereo...what's fucked on your end is understanding that you aren't getting more than stereo from YT in the first place. :p

There's this for streaming - https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-stream-dolby-atmos-from-netflix-itunes-vudu-and-amazon/#:~:text=If you want to get,of four Atmos streaming sources.

Google... fookn amazing!
Okay so in order to get Dolby atmos or DTS you need a signal right? Then You need a source to decode it (the AVR) Now if there is NO streaming signal for my computer to pick up like DTS or Dolby the AVR can reproduces the Dolby surround but it is NOT the same.
Show me ONE youtube video that had TRUE Dolby! It is NEVER going to happen! They will NOT stream or can not stream it. Yeah they got all that video shit but boy are they lacking on the sound stuff.
But what I see is more crap that I need to hook up so I might get it streamed from the inter net. Like some Apple box? Oh man this is getting too messed up.

Okay so in order to get Dolby atmos or DTS you need a signal right? Then You need a source to decode it (the AVR) Now if there is NO streaming signal for my computer to pick up like DTS or Dolby the AVR can reproduces the Dolby surround but it is NOT the same.
Correct. You need a signal with Atmos/DTS encoding in it for your AVR to read. Since the YT signal is only stereo, you'd have to use one of the 'fake' modes as you're alluding to.
Show me ONE youtube video that had TRUE Dolby! It is NEVER going to happen! They will NOT stream or can not stream it. Yeah they got all that video shit but boy are they lacking on the sound stuff.
For the third time, you won't get anything but stereo from YouTube. Capeesh? :)

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Correct. You need a signal with Atmos/DTS encoding in it for your AVR to read. Since the YT signal is only stereo, you'd have to use one of the 'fake' modes as you're alluding to.
For the third time, you won't get anything but stereo from YouTube. Capeesh? :)
Now that is exactly what I am saying.
So in Fact YouTube and the rest (Literally everything from the Internet) can NOT give a signal other than stereo. See now I am clear.
Since there is NO way that the Internet can stream anything other than stereo then I do not need a new video card or sound card ( WONT do shit) I need to get a bunch of new movies as my blue ray player is the only thing that can do this.
Well so much for using a computer as a movie theater. Guess I am back to the blueray player. well that will free up 2TB's of space.
So there are also NO games that can or even that use any surround sound since well you can NOT stream any audio other than 2 Chanel?
YouTube and others need to stop there false advertising. They suck!
So a computer has everything but HDMI true audio. This is what I am hearing.
It's all 2 channel stereo that is some how taken and broken up into diffident "areas" to give the allusion of surround. I can tell from the real and the fake this is what I am saying. It does NOT sound real and that is what I am looking for.

I am an Audiophile chasing that dragon!

Last edited:
See now I am clear.
Awesome! Third time was a charm, I guess!

Again, I believe if you use the SPDIF output on your PC and send that to the AVR, if anything has the right coding your receiver should then show it's working in whatever mode.
Well so much for using a computer as a movie theater. Guess I am back to the blueray player. well that will free up 2TB's of space.
So there are also NO games that can or even that use any surround sound since well you can NOT stream any audio other than 2 Chanel?
Why not get a BR player for the PC and use SPDIF?

If games are encoded with surround and you are using SPDIF to the AVR, it should decode surround.

It's all 2 channel stereo that is some how taken and broken up into diffident "areas" to give the allusion of surround.
illusion.

Yes, your AVR takes the 2ch signal and can make fake surround modes out of it, correct.