• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What will Future optical media storage should be?

This kept me thinking what will end the age of bluray? Horogram disk, hard disks or platter removable, more layers on a disk/blu ray?
If a game content such as game's in 5 years are going to have 2-5 times the texture resolution, should they be selling multiple disks. I think Somewhere in the future there will be Hard-Disk Platter in place of Disks and become a standard like what floppy were. (mass produced 1TB platters disks, how nice).

If in the future, anyhow average file size does get larger (lets say an power-point of 50 megs with other associated 100 megs files); im sure bluray's speed is not up for that job. Today's top storage speed are SSD, harddisk, USB3 storage devices.

Right now we getting more layers into optical disk; now that is just adding the size not the speed. After blu-ray , will there be a holographic disks inplace of blu-ray?
When are we going to satisfied with the hassel of changing disk formats ...
I think that if read-only USB media would better last even longer (if one does exists high density ROM chips).

Price wise, disk are cheap but new generation read and writer are pricy vs removable storage that read itself which cost the price of disk player or half.

Feel free to predict the future here..
(This is not general non-sense, at least it will become serious topic :rolleyes:)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I firmly believe that optical media will be dead. It's already dying.

I firmly believe that optical media will be dead. It's already dying.

well. If each Disks do get any cheaper, say half of today's. I believe some manufacture might use cheaper materials. Bluray and multi layers dvd's will probably be the cheapest way to archive just about anything. I believe Disk will live somewhere like 80gb tape were, but just hell lot cheaper.
If optical media will to be invented, it better be removable hard disk platters; while paying for one reader/writers just pay the platters. This would be ideal for both being internal and external, and clone your partition for backup ofcourse - plugs old one back in you're back in time.
For movie and games disks, I think they should stick with where they are today (price wise).
I would want a Read-Writer drive that does CD/DVD/Blu ray/holo-disks/hd platters and both main drive and external, well that would count having 2 ofcourse.

I believe you could fit a HDD header in one of dvd drives; provided that each platter is sized to a CD.
When a Platter is laminated it should be much a problem when you wipe it clean of dusts, or any other way to avoid fingerprints, hair, dust, smoke particles, etc removal mechanism would be great for this kind technology (anti- dust coating etc)

Last edited:
System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
Digital distribution is going to play main role in optical media disappearance.
I think it's not going to go away completely though.

Still, it's good for keeping backups, bootable installs, etc.
Also, some people really like to 'collect' albums/games/movies in optical(physical) form. They'll become "freaks" in some time, but still.

shevanel

I'm guessing the Solid state disk technology could possibly be an option..I can't see blu rays being extinct within 5 years and I surely don't see DVDs/Cd's becoming so either.

SO this leads me to ask... what if the day comes when a 32gb SSD has a consumer cost of around $10? or less.. Surely thats enough space for media right?

Imagine that instead of bay drives we had the device required to read these miniature SSD's and all we had to do was plug it in like we do our flashdrives. It would probably be some sort of pcie connection? I'm just throwing this out there and I truly have no knowledge about this I am just really inquiring about the use of them really..

According to this chart

in 2004 a 256mb flash memory card was $68 then roughly 5 years later 64GB of flash memory would set you back about the cost of 640mb of flash in 2004...

In 2007 16GB of usb 2.0 flash would cost $125 but 2 years later it would only cost $25...

I guess I have to ask, would optical media be put to death simply because of the lack of transfer rates they allow and consumers and the like will want/need faster media?

What would suck, and this is just left field thinking, is that if gaming/music/movie companies came up with a method of copyright protection that required you to buy a SSD or simlar device from them to use inside your "universal SSD memory reader device" which on the SSD stick there would be encyption installed and purchasing a movie/album/game became 100% digital only and you couldn't buy it in any stores and in order for your SSD to operate you had to have the software installed on the SSD run your Credit card info and user profile constantly to verify your legitimacy and it became impossible for pirates to crack because there was no way to pull the code from the SSD without your device being scanned for authenticity and since were in the year 2016 we all have download averages of around 3.6GB/s and each time we play our game the authentication server deletes/restores the game info on your drive so fast and it doesnt allow permanent storage at all because all the content is on a stream-to-device per usage scenario and no one truly ever gets to actually own their media tangibly.

LOL.. completely hypothetical.