• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

whats the best monitor : BenQ vs Samung vs Dell

System Name Crash
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Asus strix z270E
Cooling Arctic freezer 360
Memory T force 16gb 3200mhz (8x2)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8gb SE
Storage Samsung 850 evo 500gb
Display(s) Dell se2717h
Case Phanteks luxe tempered glass
Power Supply Corsair RM 650x
Software Windows 10 pro
hey there !

I will buy a new pc monitor and i need some help to decide from these 3 monitors :

-BenQ 23.8 "LED - GW2470HE (https://www.benq.eu/product/monitor/GW2470HE/).
-Dell 27" Monitor: SE2717H (http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-monitor-se2717h/...).
-samsung 24" LC24F390 (https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/led/samsu...).

i will used it mostly for gaming and planning to overclock the monitor to 75hz or whatever.

my specs:

cpu i7 7700k

gpu gtx 1060 6gb

ram 16gb ddr4 3200mhz single channel

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
All three monitors are too different to say which is best.

The BenQ is a flat screen.
The Dell is a 27".
The Samsung is a curved screen.

You need to decide what you are looking for in a monitor first. What size do you want? Do you want curved or flat? How much do you want to spend? Then find the monitors that answer those questions. Then and only then can you pick the one that is best among those fitting that criteria.

Processor Ryzen 7 3700x 8 Core - No All Core OC, just PBO.
Motherboard Asus Prime B450M-A II
Cooling AresGame River 5 Single Tower Air Cooler
Memory 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) PNY Blower 1080TI - Undervolted 800mv 1700mhz effective.
Storage 1TB Silicon Power A60 Boot Drive / 1TB HDD 7200RPM / 256GB Plextor SATA SSD
Display(s) 27'' Sceptre 165Hz 1080p
Case Zalman Z3 ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 600W
Mouse Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 Membrane Keyboard
Software Windows 10

The Dell is a 27".

You need to decide what you are looking for in a monitor first. What size do you want? Do you want curved or flat? How much do you want to spend? Then find the monitors that answer those questions. Then and only then can you pick the one that is best among those fitting that criteria.

Bill here is correct. We need you to answer those questions in order to help you pick out a monitor. Bill gave you a great idea of what the community needs to know before helping you make a choice. Once you answer those questions im sure everyone here will help you make your choice.

Also, welcome to TPU. :toast:

System Name Crash
Processor i7 7700k
Display(s) Dell se2717h
Software Windows 10 pro

The Dell is a 27".

ok i want a flat screen and the size is not matter 24 or 27 is good .
allright the samsung out of the game now we have the BenQ and the Dell .
the Dell is the most expensive but if it is the best I will buy it .
the Dell is 27" IPS and 6ms response time.
the BenQ is 24" AMVA+ and 4ms response time
i want to know ho is better in gaming.

Also, welcome to TPU.
thnx man appreciate that :)

Last edited:
Just looking at the specs I'd go with the BenQ. Better response time, higher contrast ratio, and 24" is big enough for me. Plus a lot of folks are saying AMVA looks better(darker blacks) than IPS. I'm not very well versed on the subject, and definitely don't have any real experience with it, though. So I'm really just guessing which I would prefer. I mean other than the size thing. Which I'd be fine with either way too.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
(AM)VA panels tends to have better contrast ratios.

IPS tends to have better color acuracy and viewing angles.

That's what it comes down to really. I prefer VA panels.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
(AM)VA panels tends to have better contrast ratios.
I agree, but unless you are doing a side-by-side comparison it is highly unlikely you could notice - assuming both monitors are setup properly.
IPS tends to have better color acuracy and viewing angles.
I agree with this too. HOWEVER, color accuracy is really a moot point unless you are a professional photographer dealing with human faces or the like. In games, all the scenery and "characters" are computer generated - basically cartoons. Who's going to know if it should be this red or that red?

Viewing angles is another issue however. That said, I think when it comes to computer monitors, viewing angles matter little because most users sit directly in front of their computer monitors anyway. It is not the same as your living room TV where there may be viewers sitting off to side.

So I think, when it comes to color accuracy, brightness, and contrast, it really just comes down to how you feel the monitor looks to you. Not how it looks in the specs sheet.

1. Advertised specs are useless ... can not be relied upon

2. Panel type is by no means an indicator of quality. For example, while it's fair to say that the best IPS screens has betetr quality than then the best TN, a $250 TN screen is better than a $250 IPS Screen. The best panels available today ate the Acer Predator 27" G-Sync model (XB271HU a steal at $499 ) and Asus version (PG279Q). Both use the AHVA IPS panel M270DAN02.6 from AU Optronic (165 Hz, 10 bit color, ~ 5 ms response ti and and < 3 ms lag. The color depth / contrast and sharpness on these panels is incredible to the extent that after playing for 2 hours on one, everything else looks "washed out"

3. If investing any significant amount of money, you do want to see the monitor in use and in actual conditions if at all possible... not in BestBuy under flourescent lighting for example.

4. The BenQ uses an AU Optronics AMVA 8 bit panel, 92 ppi (close enough to the target 96 minimum), 60 Hz. The Dell uses an 8 bit IPS panel, only 81 ppi (picture will appear grainy to folks with normal vision) , 60 Hz

5. Unfortunately, these models are in a price range which doesn't get much attention from the press; therefore quality reviews are rare. . A similar 27" BenQ model was reviewed by tftcentral
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2760hs.htm

Like the model you specified, BenQ claims a 4ms response time... they also claimed that for the modrel linked above ... but, as I said before, advertised response times are bogus. TFT measured it the average at 10.9 ms ... but more importantly from 4.6 to 33.8 ms. Lag wasn't bad at 8.3 ms. The review concludes..."The response time of the panel was a little slow by modern IPS/PLS/TN Film standards, and this remains one of the weaker areas of this VA technology. It showed improvements over some older generation AMVA panels, but there were still reasonable levels of blurring evident and with a 10.9ms average G2G response time it was perhaps not suitable for higher end gaming. The effort to boost response times even more through the 'Premium' AMA setting proved very problematic and the overshoot and artefacts are definitely to be avoided "

6. I must say that when making recommendations for gaming monitors at 1080p, we recommend a starting price point of $250. The VG248QE has remained the most revered 1080p monitor among gamer's for years now. I just did a quick google search and while I wouldn't rate the PCgamers site as among the elite review sites, they still list it as the best 1080p monitor. It would seem that monitor manufacturers are not investing much in their 108p screens, the cost difference between 1080p and 1440p is not that much so while it makes sense to invest in the 1440p space, this doesn't hold at 1080p. And while, yes, you can buy more modern panel types in the desired price range, the quality is such that educated consumers are avoiding them because of the panel quality. As above, the best IPS panels are better than the best TN panel... but the $250 TN Monitor provides a better gaming experience than the $250 IPS monitor.

7. I have purchased the VG248QE for users in recent years as low as $209... but over the last 6 month, prices have been increasing presumably as demand exceeds supply. In a few weeks, all attention will be on the new HDR panels, and prices will drop on all "old tech"... The impact will be significant in the $500 - $800 price niche, tho I don;t think that the impact in the sub $250 space will be that significant....still it's just a few eels so might be worth waiting for.

8. I understand you are working within a budget bit I can not in good conscience recommend either of those two monitors for gaming given the quality level of your existing componentry.

9. On a side note, you listed your RAM as single channel which Im guessing is meant to indicate a single 16GB stick. Your platform is dual channel, so next time it would be best to go for 2 x 8GB

@Firas64
Monitors are as subjective as headphones or speakers. If you can go in to a store and see with your eyes those monitors it would be ideal. Other than that as said above, tehnical specs are not an indicator of what that monitor looks like.
Try to get a 75Hz one since you game and/or increase that budget to a 144Hz one.

System Name Comet Lake
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-10600K CPU @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Memory CORSAIR LPX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16 B-die
Video Card(s) GeForce® RTX 3060Ti™
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 1TB & Seagate 2TB ST2000DM008-2UB102
Display(s) Dell 24 Gaming Monitor - S2422HG 165 Hz Curved
Case AQIRYS Arcturus
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC1200 Codec | Logitech Z533
Power Supply RMx White Series™ RM750x
Mouse Genesis Krypton 770
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD N/A Skip
Software W10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores XXX
Asus and Aoc also good option

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Not how it looks in the specs sheet.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. Unfortunately being an online recomendation, I have little else to go on. If he can see the monitors in person, he certainly should. A bad VA panel could end up with worse contrast than an IPS or even a (quality) Twisted Nematic panel.

I like to google the manufacturer panel specs to narrow down my model selection to units with high figures, and then go see them in person. That's how I do the final picking. Even this isn't perfect, but it isn't practical to see every monitor on earth, of course.

System Name Crash
Processor i7 7700k
Display(s) Dell se2717h
Software Windows 10 pro
Asus and Aoc also good option
i dont have the money

I understand you are working within a budget bit I can not in good conscience recommend either of those two monitors for gaming given the quality level of your existing componentry.
thnx man for the help but thats right my problem is the money and the VG248QE is double the Dell price.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I agree with that wholeheartedly. Unfortunately being an online recomendation, I have little else to go on.
That's the problem with just about any on-line purchase - unless you already know exactly what you want. It's a real PITA with clothes, for example, for people like me who are between a medium and a large - depending on who made it and on what day they made it! You would think 1 inch here would be exactly 1 inch there, but it clearly isn't. :kookoo:
1. Advertised specs are useless ... can not be relied upon
They are not useless, but they alone cannot be relied on. Published technical specifications are not bogus - at least with the major brands promoting their genuine products. Out and out false advertising is not allowed by most governments and there are too many independent watchdog groups (including review sites) to make sure they are not bogus.

There is a big difference between published "technical specifications" and "advertising fluff" and we, as consumers, must be able to determine the difference.

The problem is we rarely know the basis for any claims - that is, what are the test parameters? We don't know. That's how Ford, Chevy and RAM can all claim to have the best pickup truck - and they do! But best at what? And is that the criteria you need in a truck?

But those technical specs (not the fluff) are very beneficial when comparing two models from the same maker - two Samsung monitors, for example. And in your initial searches, they help you narrow down your choices.

Are there exceptions out there in this tiny world? Of course! But exceptions don't make the rule and should not be used to make a point. So once you make your choice, buy only from a reputable seller who will still be here tomorrow.

Monitors are as subjective as headphones or speakers.
Yes, no, kinda, sorta, but not really - depending on what you do with your monitor. Again, if you are a professional photographer, or in some medical imagery scenarios, color accuracy is critical and is a matter actual measurements - not subjectivity.

So where does that leave us, as consumers? Sadly, guessing most of the time. Then with fingers crossed. Read the professional reviews and see what the professional reviewers found. Do NOT put much faith in "user reviews"! Normal users are not professionals and typically don't have the proper test equipment or skills or demeaner to make objective or unbiased reviews. Happy people don't complain so user reviews tend to be skewed from the start. And most user reviews are completed within a day or two of receipt of the product. Many products are down-rated because the Post Office delivered it a day late, UPS delivered it next door, or the box looked like it fell off the Fed-Ex truck.

So I never pay attention to user reviews unless there are many complaining about the exact same fault with the exact same product.

After all that, you still take your chances. I bought two identical 24 inch monitors at the same time for a multi-monitor setup. They even have sequential serial numbers. Individually, their displays were gorgeous. Side by side and I could see the whites on one had a very slight blue hue compared to the other. It was so subtle, I only noticed it when I positioned an open Word document 1/2 way across both monitors. No amount of adjusting could match them up exactly. But which one was "off"? Without a professional colorimeter, there was no way to tell. But of course, most consumers don't have access to one of those. :(

System Name Crash
Processor i7 7700k
Display(s) Dell se2717h
Software Windows 10 pro
That's the problem with just about any on-line purchase - unless you already know exactly what you want. It's a real PITA with clothes, for example, for people like me who are between a medium and a large - depending on who made it and on what day they made it! You would think 1 inch here would be exactly 1 inch there, but it clearly isn't. :kookoo:
They are not useless, but they alone cannot be relied on. Published technical specifications are not bogus - at least with the major brands promoting their genuine products. Out and out false advertising is not allowed by most governments and there are too many independent watchdog groups (including review sites) to make sure they are not bogus.

There is a big difference between published "technical specifications" and "advertising fluff" and we, as consumers, must be able to determine the difference.

The problem is we rarely know the basis for any claims - that is, what are the test parameters? We don't know. That's how Ford, Chevy and RAM can all claim to have the best pickup truck - and they do! But best at what? And is that the criteria you need in a truck?

But those technical specs (not the fluff) are very beneficial when comparing two models from the same maker - two Samsung monitors, for example. And in your initial searches, they help you narrow down your choices.

Are there exceptions out there in this tiny world? Of course! But exceptions don't make the rule and should not be used to make a point. So once you make your choice, buy only from a reputable seller who will still be here tomorrow.

Yes, no, kinda, sorta, but not really - depending on what you do with your monitor. Again, if you are a professional photographer, or in some medical imagery scenarios, color accuracy is critical and is a matter actual measurements - not subjectivity.

So where does that leave us, as consumers? Sadly, guessing most of the time. Then with fingers crossed. Read the professional reviews and see what the professional reviewers found. Do NOT put much faith in "user reviews"! Normal users are not professionals and typically don't have the proper test equipment or skills or demeaner to make objective or unbiased reviews. Happy people don't complain so user reviews tend to be skewed from the start. And most user reviews are completed within a day or two of receipt of the product. Many products are down-rated because the Post Office delivered it a day late, UPS delivered it next door, or the box looked like it fell off the Fed-Ex truck.

So I never pay attention to user reviews unless there are many complaining about the exact same fault with the exact same product.

After all that, you still take your chances. I bought two identical 24 inch monitors at the same time for a multi-monitor setup. They even have sequential serial numbers. Individually, their displays were gorgeous. Side by side and I could see the whites on one had a very slight blue hue compared to the other. It was so subtle, I only noticed it when I positioned an open Word document 1/2 way across both monitors. No amount of adjusting could match them up exactly. But which one was "off"? Without a professional colorimeter, there was no way to tell. But of course, most consumers don't have access to one of those. :(
you know what Put yourself in my place and choose a monitor .

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I hear you. But I am not a gamer and I don't overclock my monitors. So I am not qualified to say what is best for you.

Frankly, I am waiting 24" OLED monitors to come down to under $300.

Processor Ryzen 7 3700x 8 Core - No All Core OC, just PBO.
Motherboard Asus Prime B450M-A II
Cooling AresGame River 5 Single Tower Air Cooler
Memory 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) PNY Blower 1080TI - Undervolted 800mv 1700mhz effective.
Storage 1TB Silicon Power A60 Boot Drive / 1TB HDD 7200RPM / 256GB Plextor SATA SSD
Display(s) 27'' Sceptre 165Hz 1080p
Case Zalman Z3 ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 600W
Mouse Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 Membrane Keyboard
Software Windows 10
I had no clue there was so much into picking a monitor. Learned a lot from this thread.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It can be real challenging. One thing that always gets me is I want my monitor stands to have height adjustment too. Most don't. :( And that makes no sense to me. Computer desks don't have height adjustments. And most people adjust their chair heights based how it positions their arms over their keyboards. And a phone book or ream of paper doesn't look good under a monitor. Oh well.

Again, if you are a professional photographer, or in some medical imagery scenarios, color accuracy is critical and is a matter actual measurements - not subjectivity.
I agree, but if you are a professional you don't go around forums, asking for monitor advice, having 500$ in your wallet :)
Frankly, I am waiting 24" OLED monitors to come down to under $300.
Wish there were 1080p OLED monitors for that price.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I agree, but if you are a professional you don't go around forums, asking for monitor advice, having 500$ in your wallet
Why not? Forums are not just frequented by know-nothing newbies. Professionals get their information and insights from multiple sources. What are they supposed to do, ask the kid at Best Buy?

1080P is not the problem. It is the price.

Buy and try, there is no other way or go to Eizo and other such manufacturers.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Out of those 3 - the Dell. I had a cheap 60Hz VA before - bad idea for gaming. Pixel transition is sooo slow. 75Hz IPS will feel a lot faster in movement.

How about LG 24MP59G-P though, cheaper than the dell and it's 24", better for 1080p.

Last edited:
System Name Comet Lake
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-10600K CPU @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Memory CORSAIR LPX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16 B-die
Video Card(s) GeForce® RTX 3060Ti™
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 1TB & Seagate 2TB ST2000DM008-2UB102
Display(s) Dell 24 Gaming Monitor - S2422HG 165 Hz Curved
Case AQIRYS Arcturus
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC1200 Codec | Logitech Z533
Power Supply RMx White Series™ RM750x
Mouse Genesis Krypton 770
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD N/A Skip
Software W10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores XXX
i have one great and nice response,freesync bonus,panel ips

System Name Crash
Processor i7 7700k
Display(s) Dell se2717h
Software Windows 10 pro
Out of those 3 - the Dell. I had a cheap 60Hz VA before - bad idea for gaming. Pixel transition is sooo slow. 75Hz IPS will feel a lot faster in movement.

How about LG 24MP59G-P though, cheaper than the dell and it's 24", better for 1080p.
alright the Dell is good choice.
thanks to all :peace:

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I would agree on the choice made. Cheap VA is something you want to avoid. If you see 2500-3000:1 contrast ratio on a VA, alarm bells should be going off and it means: see it, use it, before buying it. Good VA's go higher. As in twice as high, and along with that comes a higher quality across the board.

Cheap IPS is nice because apart from response times, the differences in quality are minimal. You can always do your own (re-) calibration, they all have decent color and viewing angles and a pretty stable G2G across the whole color spectrum. This is another problem area for VA: most of the time, darker hues can have a slower G2G response, causing a smear effect or, much worse, very visible color transitions that lag behind the rest of the image.

darker hues can have a slower G2G response, causing a smear effect or, much worse, very visible color transitions that lag behind the rest of the image.
Yup, had three cheap(er) VA panels BenQ 27", Philips 32" and a AOC 32", first two were 1080p the third was 1440p. Great contrast, good colors out of the box but slow response time coupled with very low input lag. Wich is a shame compared to IPS.
I would try a 1080p VA with 144Hz, but i don't know if i want to go back to 24".

Last edited: