• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What's your backup strategy?

What's your backup strategy?

• No backups

Votes: 1,316 18.0%
  • Manual copy of important files

Votes: 4,170 56.9%
  • Automated local backup

Votes: 1,024 14.0%
  • Automated backup to the cloud

Votes: 816 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Does windows system restore count? that's just one strategy I use atm.
Its the same as ZFS snapshots. Technically not a backup, its main benefit is a get out of jail card for operator error, accidentally wipe a file, edit wrong document or whatever, snapshot gets you out of jail. :)

Different options which have pros and cons, and different levels of cost.

An actual backup is expensive as of course requires new hardware but might be cheaper than mirror redundancy as backups can be compressed and as such consume less space, but also more expensive than parity redundancy. Ideally backups would be off site if possible, but at the very least different physical drive.

RAID, mirror raid is the closest raid mode to a backup as you do actually have two copies of all data you could pull a drive and it would immediately be a backup of your data. The problem is the data is linked so technically is not a backup, problems e.g. could be metadata corruption on filesystem losing access to your data, would affect both sides of mirror, another example operator error would affect both sides. Parity raid is one copy of data but with parity data that can rebuild the data if its lost. Same downsides of mirror, with an additional downside you cant just pull a drive and have an immediate backup.

Snapshots, supported by NTFS, REFS and ZFS, (Windows typically makes a snapshot on any enabled drives when a system restore point is made), its a very nice feature as the performance overhead is practically zilch, and space overhead is only for changed bits of data. Its a useful recovery system for certain situations but again not a backup, also all the snapshots mechanism's I have used all have the snapshots on the same physical storage as the main data as well. Same flaw as RAID if filesystem breaks.

Cheapest proper form of backup is the cheapo consumer cloud services, assuming you dont already have spare storage devices that can be used for local backups.

Processor 5950X
Motherboard Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080 Vision
Storage 980 Pro 500GB, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, Crucial MX500 2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34WQC
Case Cooler Master C700M
Audio Device(s) Bose
Power Supply AX850
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard MSI GK80
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z Single-Thread: 688 Multi-Thread: 11940
We are in a desktop territory here, ie we have accesses to multiple hard drives, therefore it goes without saying that all those important files are stored on the drive(s) that doesn't include the OS.

Processor Intel i9-9900KS @ 5.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 32GB Viper Steel Series DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe + 2TB Intel 960p NVMe + 512GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe + 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) 65" LG C9 OLED
Case Lian Li O11D-XL
Audio Device(s) Audeze Mobius headset, Logitech Z906 speakers
Power Supply Corsair AX1000 Titanium
All my important data is stored on my NAS, which has two mirrored hard drives. My NAS then has automated remote backup to another NAS at a family member's home.

Four drives in two different areas of the country would need to fail simultaneously for me to lose the data.