• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

When to buy?

Vertrucio

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS M4A79 Deluxe
Cooling Air
Memory 8GB DDR2 (forgot the Hz)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB (1000mhz/1250mhz)
Storage 120GB Corsair SSD, 1TB Seagate HD
Display(s) 2x Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" LCD (1920x1200)
Case Corsair C70
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi Xtrememusic
Power Supply Antex Basiq 550W
Software Windows 7 64bit
So, with the holidays I managed to get enough extra cash that I can buy whatever the new hardware is that's coming out.

Sadly, I don't know when it's coming out. I've never had a top of the line card near release, and right now, there's games I'm playing that I really want to see maxed out at 1920x1200 at a stable, high FPS.

Anyone know when ATI plans to release it's next card? Also, what should I expect?

We know there's a new console generation coming in 2013, and that both ATI and NVidia are involved in making the new chipsets, which makes me wonder how much of that tech will make it into this next generation.

If it's too far, anyone know a good time to buy one of the current generation? Basically when you think the next major price drop is?

I've got Company of Heroes 2, Planetside 2, Mechwarrior, Hawken and more to play

Also, this upcoming generation seems to have an emphasis on GP Computing as an open standard, which makes me hopeful that programs I use like Zbrush, Max, Maya will make use of it.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
a AMD 7950 would be perfect for that resolution. if you got more money and would like more grunt under the hood then a 7970 would be the next step up.

A few questions.

1) What card are you running now?
2) Why include the consoles?

To the first. The 6xxx series competes well with the 7xxx series. It is generally not worth buying a new card of the same class (67xx to 77xx isn't worth the cost). How does the 8xxx series stack up, who knows. AMD has suggested (I don't remember the source, sorry) that 8xxx will be amazing. Initial reports suggested performance that should rival Nvidea's offerings, based on the gains that are generally experienced in a generation.

No concrete evidence. All of this is speculation.

As to the consoles, nothing. Consoles take years to design, so they won't have the equivalent of the 7xxx series graphics, let alone a 8xxx series chip.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Generally speaking with basically ALL product's, before a "next generation" launch is the time when previous generation's are @ their lowest price. But MANY retailer's have good deals on Current generation hardware. e.g. newegg , microcenter, In My experience, it helps to look @ each dealer that is in your area(or internet), and find out what they Regularly sell @ lower prices than others do, for example. I live in Mass, and I go to Microcenter for CPU'S , and some other thing's , however their GPU prices, and certain other thing's are NOT the best prices. Just take your time,and keep your eye's open for any deal's. In my experience , aside from the building , the Hunt is one of the Best parts of Building a PC.

Quarter 1-2 for new AMD/Nvidia stuff I'm sure, at least by then You'll definitely know when they'll be out.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
honestly, my advice is to step up to one of the 1440p monitors for gaming if you are serious about how games look.