• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

When Will Programs move Away from Windows 7?

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
They made direct X integrated like how internet explorer was and received a class action suit by the EU for ie integration.

Comparing an application to an API is a slippery slope, imo...

And honestly, the IE drama (and that N-variant mess) is one thing I couldn't agree with the EU on, at least, from my viewpoint of how a computer should run. And I did so more after Windows 10 was released. Compared to many features 10 has; One Drive, Cortana, Marketplace, etc, the features the EU moaned about back then, IE and the media player, those were completely disable-able by the end user. [/nag]

Well HA If they made it where the DirectX Version was Upgradeable then there'd be no Windows but XP

Windows 7 overtook XP long before D3d11 adoption reached a figure worth mentioning. And even after that, it took a long time before D3d10/11 exclusives started to pop up in abundance. Those days were the days of 7th gen consoles, i.e. console ports that didn't bother going above 9c. Poor D3d 10 couldn't get much spotlight.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Comparing an application to an API is a slippery slope, imo...

And honestly, the IE drama (and that N-variant mess) is one thing I couldn't agree with the EU on, at least, from my viewpoint of how a computer should run. And I did so more after Windows 10 was released. Compared to many features 10 has; One Drive, Cortana, Marketplace, etc, the features the EU moaned about back then, IE and the media player, those were completely disable-able by the end user. [/nag]

Windows 7 overtook XP long before D3d11 adoption reached a figure worth mentioning. And even after that, it took a long time before D3d10/11 exclusives started to pop up in abundance. Those days were the days of 7th gen consoles, i.e. console ports that didn't bother going above 9c. Poor D3d 10 couldn't get much spotlight.

Game makers got lazy too.

If and when I go to 10 it will be LTSB version only, I have no need for Cortana or these major build updates that break the OS.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
If and when I go to 10 it will be LTSB version only, I have no need for Cortana or these major build updates that break the OS.
I'm with you on Cortana though I admit I have not given it a fair chance. I resist to even try simply because of the big push for "voice" interaction which I see as a HUGE invasion of privacy in the same way I see the Amazon Alexa and Google Home "personal assistants" devices as MUCH BIGGER threats to our privacy than Windows 10 itself can ever be, simply because they are always listening to everything going on within earshot.

But I totally disagree with your comment about major build updates breaking the OS. Does it happen? Of course! But those are extremely rare exceptions to the norm when you look at the big picture and real numbers. The real numbers are way less than 1%. If the problem were as big as some would have us believe, forums like TPU would be inundated with user complaining of broken machines. But typically the number can be counted on one hand.

The problem is with 600 million Windows 10 users out there, even if just 1/10th of 1% fail, that is still 600,000 upset users and 600,000 upset users can make a lot of noise - especially when amplified by the IT press seeking headlines and bashers parroting haters.

FTR, I have 6 computers here running W10. There have been 4 major build updates since W10 came out and countless other updates. None "broke" Windows. One machine appeared broken after a major update but a simple reboot fixed that. The worse problem was an intermittent problem where my secondary monitor on this computer was blank after the update. There were reports some other users had the same problem. But that was soon cleared by another update.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I'm with you on Cortana though I admit I have not given it a fair chance. I resist to even try simply because of the big push for "voice" interaction which I see as a HUGE invasion of privacy in the same way I see the Amazon Alexa and Google Home "personal assistants" devices as MUCH BIGGER threats to our privacy than Windows 10 itself can ever be, simply because they are always listening to everything going on within earshot.

But I totally disagree with your comment about major build updates breaking the OS. Does it happen? Of course! But those are extremely rare exceptions to the norm when you look at the big picture and real numbers. The real numbers are way less than 1%. If the problem were as big as some would have us believe, forums like TPU would be inundated with user complaining of broken machines. But typically the number can be counted on one hand.

The problem is with 600 million Windows 10 users out there, even if just 1/10th of 1% fail, that is still 600,000 upset users and 600,000 upset users can make a lot of noise - especially when amplified by the IT press seeking headlines and bashers parroting haters.

FTR, I have 6 computers here running W10. There have been 4 major build updates since W10 came out and countless other updates. None "broke" Windows. One machine appeared broken after a major update but a simple reboot fixed that. The worse problem was an intermittent problem where my secondary monitor on this computer was blank after the update. There were reports some other users had the same problem. But that was soon cleared by another update.

I dont use S Voice either, the only thing I need to figure out is how to train speech to text for my dialect.

@Bill_Bright
I think what he was referring to was that Microsoft makes change frequently that break compatibility with other software. Example; starting somewhere inbetween 1607 and 1703, the Start Menu replacement "Classic Shell" stopped working. The dev for same decided to end the project and opened the source. This is not an isolated example. Microsoft seems to be either reckless or deliberately doing these kinds of things. Thus the problems many are having.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I think what he was referring to was that Microsoft makes change frequently that break compatibility with other software.
He said updates that "break the OS". That is much different from small 3rd party apps no longer working.

Microsoft seems to be either reckless or deliberately doing these kinds of things.
:( It seems it is always just too easy for some to blame Microsoft for everything. I don't get it (and I am not pointing fingers at you or anyone specific).

I really like the grill on the new Chevy Silverado trucks. But they don't fit on my Ford F150. Chevy is just being reckless and deliberately trying to pi$$ me off. :kookoo: I am not trying to be argumentative. I am being sarcastic to illustrate a point. We are not talking about productivity or application software, or games or other programs that run under Windows. If the new Chevy truck could no longer tow my boat because they changed tow hitches or electrical hook ups to something proprietary, that would be reckless and deliberate and worthy of wrath and criticism.

Classic Shell is designed to "modify" or even totally replace the Windows user interface. That is a big difference from running an application. Yes, it would be nice if Microsoft made the Windows10 UI that easy to modify or totally change out. But I think that is asking too much to "expect".

If Chrome, FF, Pale Moon, OpenOffice, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Call of Duty, GTA, and other "mainstream" programs broke every 6 months after a major Windows Update, then your point would be 100% valid - that would be totally "reckless" (perhaps even criminal!). But that is not happening.

And if it was "deliberate", why aren't these updates breaking Start10 and StartIsBack too?

Let's not forget, none of these big updates are suddenly dropped on users or 3rd party program developers out of the blue. Anybody (developers or you and me) can enroll in the Windows Insider program to learn of (and play with) upcoming changes BEFORE they are released to mainstream consumers.

No, the ClassicShell developer made it clear why he is no longer maintaining Classic Shell. He is moving on to other interests. I suspect if ClassicShell were not free, he would have more incentive to keep it going - or hire someone to keep it going for him.

This is not an isolated example
Then what other (preferably popular/mainstream) programs are regularly breaking - for all users! - when Microsoft pushes out a new update?

Steve Ballmer reported several years ago that there were approximately 4 million programs out there supported by Windows 7.

4 million! :eek:

Assume he exaggerated and blew that WAY out proportion and it is really 1 million. Or even just 100,000. Is it really reasonable to expect Microsoft must deliberately ensure each and every one (remember, these are programs Microsoft has no control over!) will remain compatible through each and every Windows update?

How do you expect them to do that? What kind of resources do you expect them to put into testing 100s of 1000s of programs before releasing every Windows Update to ensure none will break??? What would you expect that will do to the cost of a new Windows license?