• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Where Are The Numeric Scores

Am I dreaming or the numeric scores disappeared from all reviews on TPU's database? :confused:
I know there's a poll (where keep the scores wins) but I didn't hear a decision had been made, let alone something as dramatic as this.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Am I dreaming or the numeric scores disappeared from all reviews on TPU's database? :confused:
I know there's a poll (where keep the scores wins) but I didn't hear a decision had been made, let alone something as dramatic as this.

Pretty sure there is a post where W1zzard said he was leaning to their removal.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Removed, you're the first to ask, so seems all good

All is not good.
1 You didn't announce the decision, your readers deserve a satisfaction particularly when you went against their opinion (the poll).
2 By altering the whole database you altered the site's history, changed its face. A web page should be available as it was created at the time, either rightly or wrongly, and not only in Wayback Machine. A site's past doesn't belong exclusively to its legal owner; we have enough Stalinist crap from the likes of Google.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
All is not good.
1 You didn't announce the decision, your readers deserve a satisfaction particularly when you went against their opinion (the poll).
2 By altering the whole database you altered the site's history, changed its face. A web page should be available as it was created at the time, either rightly or wrongly, and not only in Wayback Machine. A site's past doesn't belong exclusively to its legal owner; we have enough Stalinist crap from the likes of Google.

He didn't announce it but he made a thread about it and it was debated with the rest of the forum members with the general consensus being "just do it"

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
A site's past doesn't belong exclusively to its legal owner; we have enough Stalinist crap from the likes of Google.
Stalinist? :roll: This is pure capitalism, bud. And guess who the sole owner of the site and all materials stored from the past? W1zzard, who you just demanded to do something.

He makes money from the site and doesn’t charge you anything to participate here and demand things like the self-entitled tend to do these days.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

I actually kinda agree with this, at least for the content (design can and should change).

Keeping the score for the old reviews and simply not using them going forward would have been better IMO.
Stalinist? :roll: This is pure capitalism, bud. And guess who the sole owner of the site and all materials stored from the past? W1zzard, who you just demanded to do something.

Technically this is obviously correct, but the nature of the internet should make it a perfect cache of history (I really don't know how to put it). Put something on the web and it's there for all to see, deed's done, no takebacks and so on. In a way this is a revisionists move, like the people who say/do something dumb and then try to erase all traces of it, but way less serious of course. Editing the past just feels fundamentally wrong.

I really don't see how it would have made things worse by making an announcement and include a link to that announcement in the Conclusion page in future reviews.

In the end I don't care though; the scores were crazy arbitrary and getting rid of them was a good idea I think.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Removed, you're the first to ask, so seems all good
I'd noticed as well and I must say I prefer it with the number ratings, as I previously explained in the thread you started about this.

There could be a lot of people noticing it and not liking it. Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it can be assumed to be ok.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@Frick you might have a partial point there. I didn’t realize all the old reviews also had the numbers removed. I thought it was just the one I saw the other day as the first one.

I still say tho that W1z doesn’t owe us to do it the way we voted. It’s his site.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
The history of scores was taken away???

I voted/suggested getting rid of score in the thread (and been barking about it on/off for years). Never would I have thought that the previous scores would be gone with them though. I'm glad the arbitrary value (because let's be honest, that is what it is) has been discontinued but to remove them off past reviews as well as seemingly not sharing with the readers the decision is disappointing. Sure, I get forums are not a democracy, but sharing the decision with the readers I think would have been beneficial.

D

Deleted member 178884

Well I don't mind, It's up to W1zzard after all.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The history of scores was taken away???

I voted/suggested getting rid of score in the thread (and been barking about it on/off for years). Never would I have thought that the previous scores would be gone with them though. I'm glad the arbitrary value (because let's be honest, that is what it is) has been discontinued but to remove them off past reviews as well as seemingly not sharing with the readers the decision is disappointing. Sure, I get forums are not a democracy, but sharing the decision with the readers I think would have been beneficial.
It's more about it being appropriate and respectful to your members, especially as he'd started a thread on it.
Judging from his comment, I think he kept it quiet to judge the backlash, but that still doesn't justify it in my opinion.