• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Where Art Thou, Denuvo? Shadow of War DRM Cracked in Two Days

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
and could sale even more with right protection.

btw 10 million copies is include consoles, where cracks not exist and most income come from them (AAA titles).

Total War: Warhammer had Denuvo and had record sales in the franchisee.

The only thing goes very well on PC, is shittly half priced / free online games.
You have no basis for your ridiculous claims.

Consoles are cracked quite frequently in asian countries. The 360 and Ps3 had serious issues with it, and it is pretty easy to figure the current crop will be no better.

Over 4 million of those sales for witcher 3 were PC sales. CD projektRED has already stated that sales of the DRMed copies of the witcher 1 were much lower then the DRM free variety. Hence why they started GOG.com and stopped using DRM, they found that people were far more willing to buy the DRM free variety on PC. You have no basis for stating that DRMed witcher 3 would have sold better (and there was a DRMed version, the steam version)

Denuvo does not guarantee sales. JC3 had denuvo and didnt sell very hot on PC for example.

It's like you have an agenda against PCs or something, based on your comment.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Well, thanks for giving readers, that weren't aware, a reason to go pirate the game.

No change. Those who pirate did and will do it. Those who buy will do it further either.

System Name PC ?
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 64gb of G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 / CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XTX NITRO+
Storage C:/ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB - D:/7TB of Storage (WD-Bx2) - X:/Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 57"
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio CXA60 + Klipsch RP-160M
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000TR
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G Pro Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro (64bit)
You have no basis for your ridiculous claims.

Consoles are cracked quite frequently in asian countries. The 360 and Ps3 had serious issues with it, and it is pretty easy to figure the current crop will be no better.

Over 4 million of those sales for witcher 3 were PC sales. CD projektRED has already stated that sales of the DRMed copies of the witcher 1 were much lower then the DRM free variety. Hence why they started GOG.com and stopped using DRM, they found that people were far more willing to buy the DRM free variety on PC. You have no basis for stating that DRMed witcher 3 would have sold better (and there was a DRMed version, the steam version)

Denuvo does not guarantee sales. JC3 had denuvo and didnt sell very hot on PC for example.

It's like you have an agenda against PCs or something, based on your comment.

4 million copies, how much time has been passed, over 2 years ? for one of best games in recent years.

While PUGB did 16million only in Steam.

Denuvo does not guarantee sales. yes if game comes broken and bad.

but Denuvo guarantee higher sales, if game well made and uncrackable.

We have bigger problems like online only games, without single player for same price as The Witcher 3 or loot boxes and P2W that is much worse than software that does nothing to ur PC.

If you are crying about some protection software and how it's breaking ur privacy, you should first disconnect ur self from the Internet and live in the Cave.

Last edited:
System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus Prime z490-A
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
I miss the days you pop the CD/DVD into the computer, install the game

With how big games are nowadays the CDs and DVD media are way to small to hold the data. Hell, patches themselves are 700mb+ :(

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
No change. Those who pirate did and will do it. Those who buy will do it further either.

I think you're right. This is more about people's character (or lack thereof).

But I won't blame companies for trying.

System Name Princess
Processor e5540
Motherboard gigabyte ex58 ud3r rev1
Cooling air
Memory 4x2gb corsair 1600mhz xmp
Video Card(s) GTX 780
Storage 1x1tb WD 1x2tb WD
Display(s) 2
Case Coolermaster
Audio Device(s) Azal
Power Supply Corsair 620wtt
Mouse junk
Keyboard Dell
Software Win 10x2 dual boot
Benchmark Scores XxX
No link?

With how big games are nowadays the CDs and DVD media are way to small to hold the data. Hell, patches themselves are 700mb+ :(
A single BD could manage every game out at the moment unless some monster over 100GB has surfaced. A 2X drive is comparable (slightly faster) than the average US home connection according to SpeedTest.

Too bad publishers are unlikely to ever go back to physical when digital offers them more control for less money.

Brings me to a morality question, "Is it bad to wait a year or 2 for a game to be on sale for 3.99-7.99?" I am still paying something but not full price. At least not as bad as Piracy, since they get something.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
I personally think piracy is to blame for the current trend of PC games following consoles as ports. The large majority of console gamers can't crack/torrent/pirate, so they make close to 100% sales on those (minus the very few that may be able to pirate on consoles, plus resale market). Whether they're right or wrong, game makers blame piracy, and as a result go for mediums that they can be more assured that they'll make sales. That's why we have (or rather had, it seems like maybe it's getting less and less prevalent) a rash of console to PC ports, and consoles are often the primary dev platform for a lot of AAA games.

I'm not saying that DRM helps sales. Quite the opposite. Just saying that that IS the way they see it, whether right or wrong. It is true that DRM free AAA titles from companies like CDP can still sell millions without DRM just by making a good product. On the other hand, the whole "If they make good games, they won't get pirated and people will pay for good games" argument is silly... Why would people pirate garbage games and not good games? A pirate is going to pirate software that he wants whether it's good or bad. If anything, bad software gets pirated LESS, because nobody wants it. Best case scenario, piracy has no effect on sales. But it's just naive to say that "If you make a good game, people will pay for it and not pirate." That's basically saying that pirates only pirate crappy games. And that just isn't the case. It doesn't even make sense.

Brings me to a morality question, "Is it bad to wait a year or 2 for a game to be on sale for 3.99-7.99?" I am still paying something but not full price. At least not as bad as Piracy, since they get something.

Of course it isn't immoral to wait for a sale. You didn't make them drop the price. They agreed to sell it to you at a discounted rate because it's older. You didn't do anything wrong.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro

I don't see why that's bad. It's legal and the price they themselves set.

And they wouldn't drop the price if they knew they could sell it at full price. Like GTA5 was full price for a long time. There's just less demand for those other games. And demand determines real worth. Not the initial price.

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
Game developers survived the old days and made profits. They focused on releasing games with optimisations, no major bugs and enjoyable contents.

These days developers divert substantial amount of resources to anti-piracy (DRM) yet still can't stop those seasoned pirates. The downsides for doing that are less creative, poorly optimised and bug ridden games. Why can't they understand that if they focused more on the actual games instead of spending hours on implementing some intrusive, performance/experience degrading DRMs, they would get more support from their players?

I personally think piracy is to blame for the current trend of PC games following consoles as ports. The large majority of console gamers can't crack/torrent/pirate, so they make close to 100% sales on those (minus the very few that may be able to pirate on consoles, plus resale market). Whether they're right or wrong, game makers blame piracy, and as a result go for mediums that they can be more assured that they'll make sales. That's why we have (or rather had, it seems like maybe it's getting less and less prevalent) a rash of console to PC ports, and consoles are often the primary dev platform for a lot of AAA games.

I'm not saying that DRM helps sales. Quite the opposite. Just saying that that IS the way they see it, whether right or wrong. It is true that DRM free AAA titles from companies like CDP can still sell millions without DRM just by making a good product. On the other hand, the whole "If they make good games, they won't get pirated and people will pay for good games" argument is silly... Why would people pirate garbage games and not good games? A pirate is going to pirate software that he wants whether it's good or bad. If anything, bad software gets pirated LESS, because nobody wants it. Best case scenario, piracy has no effect on sales. But it's just naive to say that "If you make a good game, people will pay for it and not pirate." That's basically saying that pirates only pirate crappy games. And that just isn't the case. It doesn't even make sense.

Of course it isn't immoral to wait for a sale. You didn't make them drop the price. They agreed to sell it to you at a discounted rate because it's older. You didn't do anything wrong.
Consoles are cheaper and easier to use than computers (generally speaking) and the user base is bigger as a result. Console only users also tend to be forgiving of games that look and run poorly. Better to release on the bigger, easier going, platform first don't you think?

If piracy were a real problem the industry would've died instead of growing substantially. Real piracy doesn't seem to be much of an issue these days outside the odd incident of fraudulently purchased keys popping up time to time.

Game developers survived the old days and made profits. They focused on releasing games with optimisations, no major bugs and enjoyable contents.

These days developers divert substantial amount of resources to anti-piracy (DRM) yet still can't stop those seasoned pirates. The downsides for doing that are less creative, poorly optimised and bug ridden games. Why can't they understand that if they focused more on the actual games instead of spending hours on implementing some intrusive, performance/experience degrading DRMs, they would get more support from their players?
Absorbing and gutting seasoned developers also doesn't help things either. Publishers don't want to stop chasing easy money or lose their classic scapegoat though.

Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ (2X16GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GTX1080ti Super JetStream 11GB
Storage Trandscend 370s 256GB / WD Caviar Black 2+1TB
Display(s) Acer XB270HU 144hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Eclipse P600S White
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X 1000W 80 Plus Gold
This game has both microtransaction AND Denuvo? Someone is trying too hard.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Wait, this garbage game costs 100$ ?????

I used to buy Deluxe editions to games, for half that price, that were at least 100x time better games, that include also collectibles, soundtrack CDs, nice printed manual book, lather maps, etc.
Ex:
Diablo, Diablo II, Curse of Monkey Island, GTA, etc, etc...

Nowadays, "deluxe" or "gold editions" means, some crappy useless DLCs and....that's it?????

Last edited:
There have been a number of issues around this particular DRM technology
You left the "D" out of DRM...
DRM is garbage.
Here, we agree.
What I'd prefer as anti-piracy measure if there has to be one is making game unbearably hard if it's a pirated copy. Something like that invincible scorpion in Serious Sam 3. But not that obvious. I'm talking about difficulty level so hard it's not directly obvious, but impossible to complete the game. No matter what difficulty you select when starting the game. This way you can spot idiots bitching around how impossibly hard it is and you can laugh at them knowing they have a pirated game for sure.
Here, I disagree most strongly. DRM does NOT stop piracy! Piracy of games from GOG is so minimal that it is difficult to tally. Why? Because people have no reason to pirate them. The prices are great and people know that when they buy their games there, THEY own them for life and the games will rarely refuse to run. Piracy of titles on Steam? Solidly measurable. Piracy of other platforms, measurable. Most people pirate games not because they're unwilling to pay, but because they want to avoid needlessly restrictive DRM schemes. Is DRM working? It does succeed in pissing us off! I now buy my games ONLY in DRM free form. If it's not DRM free, I don't play it. And a large portion of the gaming world is either in the same camp or moving toward it. DRM DOES NOT WORK! Hackers and crackers prove this with every game released. When the devs and publishers get that simple concept through their greedy heads they will realize that they've been shooting themselves in the foot and denying themselves serious revenue.
but Denuvo guarantee higher sales, if game well made and uncrackable.
That statement is complete twaddle! Denuvo, and DRM in general, actually does the opposite, it guarantees fewer sales. And it does NOT guarantee no piracy. It is a self-defeating effort.

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Respect your audience, and they will give you their heart.

For more information, talk to CDPR.

Well a lot of company's remove the DRM after a while as it's mainly put there on release of the game.

I heard that this DRM has been cracked in some cases in less than 12 hours.

As for this game i don't give a flying fck with it's BS loot boxes which you have to do a terrible grind for the true ending or pay for it.

Question is how long does it need to hold up before being cracked, company may have some kind of agreement on how many hours\days which is expected.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Question is how long does it need to hold up before being cracked, company may have some kind of agreement on how many hours\days which is expected.

In most cases, it's meant to hold up until people actually play the game and figure out it's just another run of the mill rehash with a new skin slapped on. And a forgettable story to go with it.
Back in the day, Wolfenstein (and probably many others) became a hit months after its release. Because people played it, found it awesome and the word spread. These days, it's the other way around: PR makes a title appear awesome and dupe people into buying before they know what they get.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro

I used to buy Deluxe editions to games, for half that price, that were at least 100x time better games, that include also collectibles, soundtrack CDs, nice printed manual book, lather maps, etc.
Ex:

Nowadays, "deluxe" or "gold editions" means, some crappy useless DLCs and....that's it?????

Some still do that. I think the last I paid almost that much was a DAI CE. It had some extras, like maps and stuff.

Too bad the game itself sucked.

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64

Ex:

Not always, there are some great collectors/limited editions. The last one I bought that really made me cry with joy was Dishonored 2, which for $100 came with an awesome Corvo mask replica. Best bang for buck in LimitedEditions I've seen in a long time. But yeah, most "Gold" or whatever editions barely add anything to the package.