1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which is better?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by swistak92, Dec 4, 2010.

1. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My hdd is full :(

I got a WD Green 1TB HDD and its full.. im also not so happy with its performance so I would like to make it simply a storage hdd and maybe get a WD 500GB black series for boot

Two nice drives I found:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_344&products_id=15934

and

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_344&products_id=11863

So.. my question is what is the diffrence between those 2 drives... as they seem nearly the same to me.. and which is better ? :D

also once I do get the 500 gb hdd how should I configure them raid wise ? :)

Thanks a bunch guys

2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The WD Blue you linked is 6.0Gb/s (which your mobo supports) but only has a 16MB cache.

The WD Black that you linked (the fastest of the 'color' series) is only 3.0Gb/s but has a 32MB cache (also 5 year warranty).

My guess is the WD Blue is going to be faster despite the smaller cache, but I dunno. I haven't seen any tests that would confirm or deny my assumption.

This guide might help:
    HDD Help Guide

swistak92 says thanks.
  3. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    bigger cache is better coz the hdd doesnt need or write too often when its on, some data that needed on the fly runs on cache so it makes the performance better than small cache

swistak92 says thanks.
  4. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks to both of you for very useful information
    from reading that guide it seems like the black one should me somewhat faster
    Looking back now.. it seems like i screwed up big time when building the rig.. slowest hdd, made 3 partitions ... fail
    so Black it is?

5. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd like someone with more knowledge in this area to weigh-in before I can say I'm sure. However I can say for sure that the Black isn't going to be a bad choice :).

Having the larger cache is a huge aid in average performance but sata 6Gb/s should make copying large files and loading game maps faster because that data likely won't be contained in cache (making throughput more important)*. In other words, there may be trade-offs either way; Hence my apprehension.

*Conjectural; HDDs aren't my best subject.

6. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ahh thanks once again :)
    ye its a bit of dilemma for me..
    now I'm thinking to get black for OS and maybe blue for storage/games?

7. swistak92 New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually I think ill go with 500gb black for os now.. and later when i run out of space again ill get a blue 1TB for storage

streetfighter 2 says thanks.