• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which is the best motherboard manufacturer to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master Rev 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360MM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Galax GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Hall of Fame
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW 34" UltraWide QHD 120Hz IPS 1900R Curved G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL Black Steel
Audio Device(s) OnBoard Audio - ESS SABRE HIFI 9118
Power Supply Corsair RM850i 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 LightSpeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Brown Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional
Hello

I asked this same question about GPUS over in the Graphics Cards forum but I need the same question answered for motherboards.
Which manufacturer is best to buy for a Motherboard? If I buy a certain manufacturers GPU, should I try and buy the same manufacturers motherboard or won't it really matter??

There are so many...

MSI
ASUS
Gigabyte
EVGA

etc etc etc

Which one is best with the best after sales support and warranties?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Depends on the socket/chip you'll be running.
Right now for an Intel based setup ASRock and Asus are fine with MSI actually improving, Gigabyte slipping somewhat in the quality dept.

For an AMD it's largely the same except Asus isn't fairing as well, ASRock is good here too and MSI is almost even with Asus, Gigabyte again slipping in the same fashion.

Out of all I'd consider based on things ASRock would be the name I'd checkout first. Asus does have an excellent board for Threadripper, the ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha X399 which is one I'm looking at personally right now as possibly being the one I go with for a build I'm planning, the MSI MEG Creation being right behind it in my case.

I'll be honest, none are really known for being "Great" for service after the sale.

Low quality post by EarthDog
Low quality post by Bones
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Questions, questions..... But it's good to ask.
That's what we're here for.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Called it... you were going to start a thread for each part for your new build... lol..

If that is the case I would strongly recommend just asking for build advice, saves a lot of clicking between topics :D

My vote > AsRock (overall, price/perf, good quality, fantastic high end), MSI (midrange, mostly, feature packed at great price), Asus (not the best price/perf, but better/more polished UEFI and additional software).

Gigabyte, as with GPUs, is readily avoided these days; does not impress in anything yet does offer a range of substandard quality VRM on cheaper boards; in fact only their best boards have decent VRM.

But above all, pick a board based on its featureset, get the best match for you, and then start comparing what each brand has on offer with those features, at what price. When you want to OC, consider VRM quality as well - phases are not everything here. AsRock wins the day in that sense at almost every price point up until the enthusiast (>250 dollar) range.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Questions, questions..... But it's good to ask.
That's what we're here for.
No doubt! But build threads are best, for everyone, if it is one thread. This helps the OP have all the info in one spot AMD all the others helping using the same information so their efforts arent duplicated or wasted . :)

Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW 34" UltraWide QHD 120Hz IPS 1900R Curved G-Sync Gaming Monitor
yh, I wondered if I should open 1 thread or a thread in each section. Being new here I am still finding my way around :)

If that is the case I would strongly recommend just asking for build advice, saves a lot of clicking between topics :D

My vote > AsRock (overall, price/perf, good quality, fantastic high end), MSI (midrange, mostly, feature packed at great price), Asus (not the best price/perf, but better/more polished UEFI and additional software).

Gigabyte, as with GPUs, is readily avoided these days; does not impress in anything yet does offer a range of substandard quality VRM on cheaper boards; in fact only their best boards have decent VRM.

But above all, pick a board based on its featureset, get the best match for you, and then start comparing what each brand has on offer with those features, at what price. When you want to OC, consider VRM quality as well - phases are not everything here. AsRock wins the day in that sense at almost every price point up until the enthusiast (>250 dollar) range.
Thanks for this reply :) very helpful

I've reported the posts and asked the staff to merge... not sure if they don't agree/care, or what... but you seem like you are full of questions so its best to ask them in an all encompassing build thread instead of a dozen others. Its so much easier for everyone involved, honestly. :)

I've reported the posts and asked the staff to merge... not sure if they don't agree/care, or what... but you seem like you are full of questions so its best to ask them in an all encompassing build thread instead of a dozen others. Its so much easier for everyone involved, honestly. :)
I completely agree :) Thanks @EarthDogI should have started a thread in the System Builders Advice section. Apologies

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Hello

I asked this same question about GPUS over in the Graphics Cards forum but I need the same question answered for motherboards.
Which manufacturer is best to buy for a Motherboard? If I buy a certain manufacturers GPU, should I try and buy the same manufacturers motherboard or won't it really matter??

There are so many...

MSI
ASUS
Gigabyte
EVGA

etc etc etc

1 - GPU and mobo manufacturer have nothing to do with one another, you can mix amd match to hearts content
2 - best mobo manufacturer is like asking who is the best car manufacturer, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Ford.,etc., You need to know what you are looking for, sedan, truck, SUV, hatchback, etc., Then narrow it down even further to size, budget, gas mileage, etc., etc.,

There is this thing called the internet and on it companies have web pages that explain things like sales support and warranty...

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
There is this thing called the internet and on it companies have web pages that explain things like sales support and warranty...

Show me where the Gigabyte web page speaks of horrendous RMA and customer service processes, up to and including damaging GPUs and sending them back with a refusal.

For warranty the websites aren't even leading, it is legislation that determines what you're entitled to and it differs per country.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT

Not true,check the z390 vrm tier list,gigabyte's low end and mid range boards slam asrock and msi

1 - GPU and mobo manufacturer have nothing to do with one another, you can mix amd match to hearts content
2 - best mobo manufacturer is like asking who is the best car manufacturer, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Ford.,etc., You need to know what you are looking for, sedan, truck, SUV, hatchback, etc., Then narrow it down even further to size, budget, gas mileage, etc., etc.,
While I found the above reply very helpful, I can't say the same for the sarcastic reply below... sigh...why people feel the need to break others down in their own little way is beyond me.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Not true,check the z390 vrm tier list,gigabyte slams asrock and msi

Then they've learned from the responses to their Z370 line up, nice. Don't expect that to stay the same... Also Z390 is pretty much only for high TDP parts. Can't get away with crappy VRM anymore... Those tier lists are really a great source though @Wolvyreen . Take note.

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Then they've learned from the responses to their Z370 line up, nice. Don't expect that to stay the same... Also Z390 is pretty much only for high TDP parts. Can't get away with crappy VRM anymore...
Msi boards are pretty inadequate for overclocking a 9900k yet they cost more than gigabyte's 10 phase z390 Elite.you can get away with selling mid range boards at enthusiast prices if it has pretty rgb lights.
Z390 carbon is pretty much z390 sli with pretty lights.Now look at the price difference,more than +50%

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Msi boards are pretty inadequate for overclocking a 9900k yet they cost more than gigabyte's 10 phase z390 Elite.you can get away with selling mid range boards at enthusiast prices if it has pretty rgb lights

Sure but when did the subject become a 9900K as thé CPU choice? It is a grossly inefficient and out-of-the-ordinary CPU with a bad price/perf ratio. And TDP wise it doesn't compare to anything else in the Intel- or AMD lineup that consists mostly of 65-95W CPUs. No point having a board that can push 250W when you're only using half.

System Name Parallax 11
Processor Intel i7-13700K @ stock
Motherboard NZXT N7 Z790
Cooling NZXT Kraken Elite 360 + 6x Lian Li UNI Fan AL120s
Memory 64GB (2 x 32GB) Corsair DDR5 Vengeance RGB Black 6400MT/s
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Gaming OC
Storage Samsung 980 500GB / Samsung 980 1TB / Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Display(s) BenQ EX3501R / Dell U2515H 1440p
Case Lian Li O11D EVO
Audio Device(s) NI Komplete Audio 2 / PreSonus Eris E4.5s / PreSonus Eris Sub8
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 MX Speed
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1 / Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro

Depends what country you are in... always check the RMA info, some may be local to you (in country or region) and others might require you to ship the faulty board to another region.

Hexus Forums (if I can mention them here) used to have a good sticky on RMA locations for most manufacturers and level of service, not sure how up to date it is as I've not visited it for some time! The post was geared towards UK users but it listed the RMA countries for the main manufacturers so it should still be valid and you might want to check that out too!

Case fancier than yours
Show me where the Gigabyte web page speaks of horrendous RMA and customer service processes, up to and including damaging GPUs and sending them back with a refusal.

For warranty the websites aren't even leading, it is legislation that determines what you're entitled to and it differs per country.

gigabyte USA warranty page below, sorry you had a bad experience with gigabyte although there are countless forum threads across the internet complaining about xfx, corsair, seasonic, evga, asus, etc., etc., customer service. In my experience corsair and evga put more resources towards customer service and that tends to help. Otherwise you are probably dealing with an under staffed and over worked dept.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Support/Warranty

Last edited:
Low quality post by eidairaman1

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Sure but when did the subject become a 9900K as thé CPU choice? It is a grossly inefficient and out-of-the-ordinary CPU with a bad price/perf ratio. And TDP wise it doesn't compare to anything else in the Intel- or AMD lineup that consists mostly of 65-95W CPUs. No point having a board that can push 250W when you're only using half.
doesn't matter what cpu you use,getting worse components and a fancier look for a higher price is the point.

z39.jpg

Low quality post by EarthDog
Asus for me, look at the fsb i had on the p5b-dlx/e6300 in my sig
Maybe I need some caffeine, but what does an ancient board and CPU result have to do with helping the OP? How does your experience with that old hardware help when the OP is looking to buy new?

System Name 1.21 gigawatts!
Processor Intel Core i7 6700K
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X
Cooling Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim with Arctic MX-4
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3000 MHz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1080 Game Rock
Storage Mushkin Triactor 240GB + Toshiba X300 4TB + Team L3 EVO 480GB
Display(s) Philips 237E7QDSB/00 23" FHD AH-IPS
Case Aerocool Aero-1000 white + 4 Arctic F12 PWM Rev.2 fans
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio Boost 3 with Nahimic Audio Enhancer
Power Supply FSP Hydro G 650W
Mouse Cougar 700M eSports white
Keyboard E-Blue Cobra II
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 948 (stock) / 1044 (4,7 GHz) FarCry 5 1080p Ultra: min 100, avg 116, max 133 FPS
Most people will say Asus just because they have the highest price tag. More expensive doesn't always mean "the best".

According to my experience, I consider Asrock as the best combining very good quality and acceptable price, followed by Gigabyte and MSI. I had bad experience with Asus, but that doesn't mean that they are bad in general. Asus motherboards aren't really any better than Asrock, MSI or Gigabyte, despite always being more expensive.

Gigabyte top-end motherboards are usually cheaper than MSI and Asrock and definitely cheaper than overpriced Asus.

EVGA - I wouldn't buy theirs. One of the biggest stores over here has return rate statistics for product they sell and EVGA's had over 10%.

FCG

Abit is (was?) my fave.
Am I right, fellas?
Who's with me out there?
Fun Fact: DFI entry into the OC market was initially made possible by Abit engineers whom defected.

Last edited:
Low quality post by dirtyferret
Case fancier than yours
Maybe I need some caffeine, but what does an ancient board and CPU result have to do with helping the OP? How does your experience with that old hardware help when the OP is looking to buy new?
cause it justifies my purchase and proves I bought the right part for my pc..damn it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.