• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which options for a minimal ShadowPlay install?

Bucketsmith

Hey man, thanks for the tool.
First time using, I am unsure which options I exactly need to enable to have ShadowPlay working.
When I select the top three options (driver, physx, hdaudio) and ShadowPlay, the program tells me I should also enable other items and offers to do that for me.
When done and I click next, it tells me again that I should install more components.
This works a bit confusing to me, since I can interpret it in two ways.
1) the first check is all I need for just ShadowPlay's local recording and the second check is just telling me I need stuff for extended usage of some parts, that I don't actually need
or
2) to get it to work properly, I will also need to include whatever the second check tells me to get

I was hoping you could provide a precise answer, thank you.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
to get it to work properly, I will also need to include whatever the second check tells me to get
Correct

The idea behind the repeated steps is that with this approach you'll be able to tell the individual requirements.

I can see how that might be confusing, any ideas how I could reword the popup?

nested (indented) dependencies?

ie, when you select a component that has other prerequisites for it to work properly, it'll automatically select those as well

EDIT: See attachment for an example (totally didnt take me 10 minutes of searching to find one xd)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 204

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
nested (indented) dependencies?

ie, when you select a component that has other prerequisites for it to work properly, it'll automatically select those as well

EDIT: See attachment for an example (totally didnt take me 10 minutes of searching to find one xd)
not possible with the way the component list works in nvcleanstall, test it, play with it, you'll understand

hm?
I just clicked around a bit, and unless im missing some weird dependency triangle or something they all seem to be hierarchical, just some seem to have like, multiple tiers of dependencies?
You would just have to uhm, do multiple tiers?

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I guess theres components that have multiple dependencies (ie GeForce Experience requires both NV Container and Telemetry), and apparently GeForce Experience and NodeJS are like, interdependant? Wouldn't it make more sense to just group them or something?
I mean, would make the tree less obvious, but could still do some kind of a logical hierarchy to lessen the confusion?

EDIT2: Like, something like this? (See the attachment) (Yes, the Virtual Audio part is kinda ass-backwards, but logically speaking you would only want it if you want ShadowPlay, and should be auto-checked when you select ShadowPlay; or you could inverse it, ie make the Virtual Audio the parent of ShadowPlay instead)

EDIT3: Okay, I see what you mean now. Lol. The part about Shield Streaming and ShadowPlay sure is confusing, so there'd be like 15 ways to do it but yeah

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Correct

The idea behind the repeated steps is that with this approach you'll be able to tell the individual requirements.

I can see how that might be confusing, any ideas how I could reword the popup?

@TheLostSwede @R-T-B please give W1zz some ideas here. because I also have found that confusing. sometimes I even have questioned myself if I am even using the NVClean Install properly... dyslexia sucks :roll:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Okay, I see what you mean now. Lol
:love:

I have an idea .. I could change the "do you want to install the dependencies" window to show some sort of tree structure that shows the dependencies more visually. All items are checked by default, but you may uncheck components and it will not bug you should you do so

Space Lynx

Astronaut

I have an idea .. I could change the "do you want to install the dependencies" window to show some sort of tree structure that shows the dependencies more visually. All items are checked by default, but you may uncheck components and it will not bug you should you do so

I don't know how hard it would be (and if it is, please dismiss it entirely) but if I could just get a little ok box that pops up after the NVCleanInstall is done and says "NVCleanInstall finished without error"

I don't know why, but I always hesistate like 2 minutes before I finally close the last NVCleanInstall box, even though I KNOW its done installing, I am like afraid too, cause there is no confirmation other than the Nvidia install box goes away.

this might be more of a me problem though, not a you need to fix this problem... in fact I think it may be, so nm lol

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
@W1zzard the reminder box isn't consistent either. If you intentionally leave out one or two "necessary" dependencies, it'll take you back to remind you again but tick different boxes the second time around than the first, even if you haven't changed anything.

The expandable tree would fix a lot of these issues, since some "needed" components are needed more than others.

Example:
> I only tick Shadowplay
> First reminder, click ok
> Program auto ticks some dependencies but leaves out Telemetry and some others (even though stated to be necessary for GFE)
> I don't do anything, or only untick Shield Streaming Service and try again
> Second reminder, click ok
> Program auto ticks Telemetry this time

Been messing with it dozens of times this week to see exactly what is needed, because I want to get back into Shadowplay and also new War Thunder update is buggy mess.

So far the only ones I can confidently say can be left out without problems are Shield Streaming Service (if you don't use it), and Telemetry I think. Probably more can be omitted but not a lot more.

Can't remember if it was NodeJS or Container whose absence would cause GFE to crash immediately.

Last edited:

good idea
i still believe that you could do some kind of (crude-ish?) tree structure for the main panel, but i'd agree that theres like, no good consensus option as to how to deal w/ all the different possible interdependencies since they're fairly complicated

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
That's the whole dependency tree for ShadowPlay. Yes these are circular dependencies

<package id="ShadowPlay">
<dependencies>
<dependency>GFExperience</dependency>
<dependency>NvVAD</dependency>
<dependency>NvModuleTracker</dependency>
</dependencies>
</package>

<package id="NvModuleTracker">
<dependencies>
<dependency>GFExperience.NvStreamSrv</dependency>
</dependencies>
<description>
</package>

<package id="GFExperience.NvStreamSrv">
<dependencies>
</dependencies>
</package>

<package id="GFExperience">
<dependencies>
<dependency>NvContainer</dependency>
<dependency>NvTelemetry</dependency>
<dependency>NvBackend</dependency>
<dependency>nodejs</dependency>
</dependencies>
</package>

<package id="NvBackend">
<dependencies>
</dependencies>
</package>

<package id="nodejs">
<dependencies>
</dependencies>
</package>

Bucketsmith

Maybe something that just tells you that dependencies also have dependencies and they all need to be installed, when the check is run?
Or when the check is run, also make it run with the suggested to-be-installed-components so that it generates a single action for the user.