• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Should You Buy: Xbox One or PlayStation 4?

Get Xbone or PS4?

• Total voters
Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
I think the console generation disappointment has to do with the lack of a major technological leap. When the DC/PS2/XB/GC era started, we were still using 480i and/or 576i CRT TVs. Then 720p LCD TVs came along, which the PS3 and X360 took better advantage of; some games for earlier consoles had support, but they were more of a bonus feature. With computer display technology now tied to television display technology, the latter has slowed advancement since TV and movies progress in sudden leaps rather than gradual ascension. Remember that when we were playing Halo, Tales of Symphonia, and Soul Calibur 2 on our TVs at 640 x 480 and/or 768 x 576, we were also playing F.E.A.R. and Neverwinter Nights on monitors that displayed at a resolution of ranging from 1024 x 768 all the way up to 2048 x 1536.

The current generation doesn't have that big technological leap; 4K has arrived, but it still needs time before it becomes widespread. Even high-end PCs right now barely handle it. The new consoles seem to be more of a refinement. In the past, the power of new consoles were quite apparent even if the developers were still learning the ropes. Given some time, developers will be able to optimize games to handle 1080p@60fps and even fancier graphics. Take a look at the current final PS2 game, Pro Evolution Soccer 14, which came out in September 2013. Like much of the sports games that constitute most of the PS2's last games, it looks really, really pretty. Comparing it with entries from the early days of the PS2 (13 years of difference!), you can see the power of optimization. But the current generation of consoles don't have such a huge leap of power over the previous generation. We're still going to get prettier pictures, just not as soon and the difference won't be as great since it'll depend more on optimization than raw power.

You can also argue about the lack of quality games, but that's less a hardware issue and more a developer issue. Nostalgia notwithstanding, I guess that's one of the reasons why we have so many re-releases (Age of Empires 2 and Doom 3... "HD Edition" my butt, more like your sequels are becoming blatantly stagnant and you don't know how to break out of it) and throwbacks (old-school dungeon crawlers, DRPGs, are a pretty big trend in Japan right now).

As for the PS4's lead over the XB1 here in the poll, I think that has to do with the consoles' respective strong points. PS4 is likely to get most of the JRPGs whereas XB1 is likely to be getting more FPS games. JRPGs tend to be made primarily for the Japanese market, where PC gaming isn't as big as consoles, and are less likely to get PC ports. FPS games are extremely popular in the North American market, where PC gaming competes quite well with consoles, and are likely to get PC ports. Thus, the XB1's genre strong point, including its "exclusives", will likely show up on the PC as well (remember how it was for the original Xbox?) weakening its appeal on a PC-centric forum.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
I do think price has a lot to do with it. Even if people did not know the PS4 was faster, it is still $100 cheaper. I see One's in store, even at the entrance stacked up at Best Buy. No PS4s. Maybe Microsoft supplied considerably more units?

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
I would get a PS4. There will be several titles that I want later on down the road plus I get the best of both worlds when it comes to exclusives

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
I do think price has a lot to do with it. Even if people did not know the PS4 was faster, it is still $100 cheaper. I see One's in store, even at the entrance stacked up at Best Buy. No PS4s. Maybe Microsoft supplied considerably more units?
Hard to tell without sales numbers. It's true that PS4 is harder to find in stores. But we don't really know if it's due to supply or demand. Both Microsoft and Sony are releasing their consoles in multiple countries with a smaller time frame between them than their previous consoles, but Sony is casting a wider net (fun fact: Japan is no longer at the forefront of release dates and is now at the rear for all three consoles). It could also be that XB1 never fully recovered from the pre-launch PR disaster. It might be the price difference. It could also be more Sony fanboys than Microsoft fanboys.

My personal guess is that it's a combination of both supply and demand. Sony likely chose to focus more PS4 stock for Europe, South America, Middle East, and Asia Pacific rather than in North America. This is understandable since the PS3 was a somewhat distant third place in sales in North America whereas in most other regions it was second place in sales. And between the price and specs difference between the XB1 and PS4, coupled with the XB1 PR disaster, Sony likely has more demand for its console in the North American market than it expected.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Just bought the Xbox One couple days ago... Gotta say it's a pretty nifty console so far... It has it's pro's & it's cons but most of the cons are all nit picking really... I only bought one game with it & that's Forza 5 which I gotta say is a great racing game... I haven't enjoyed a racing games for awhile now but this one has gotten me back into them. The game does look beautiful & runs at a nice 1080p 60fps & racing online is quite fun....

The main OS/menu of the console I like but some things I dislike... For eg... There is too many pointless tiles scattered all over the dashboard which just boggles & confuses the user, cannot check how much Hard drive space you have left.. Things like that, but I gotta say the turning the console on & the dashboard loading up is super quick, probably because the console is always in standby mode, the snap feature is a nice feature as well... No more laggy loading screen to check a message.

The console itself is quite huge and has some weight to it.... It does look a bit basic, looks like a modern VCR/cable box but I don't mind it & I can't say anything on the Kinect as I don't care for it as I left it in the actual box...

I will be picking up Dead Rising 3 & maybe Ryse : Son Of Rome eventually....

Originally I wanted a PS4 first but they're out of stock everywhere I look and only certain way to get one is to preorder it (-_-)....