• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which to choose?

AMD++

Hello,

I'm new here, and it's the first time I've signed up to a hardware related forum so please excuse me if I come across lost at times!

At the moment I've got no choice but to upgrade my motherboard, I think it's been faulty from the get go because I've had endless problems with PSUs and various other equipment.

At the moment I have the Gigabyte S-Series with the older type of the Nvidia chipset (580a I think?). I'm not an overclocker, however I am interested in doing so once I learn some more about it.

My other equipment is;

AMD Athlon 6400+ X2 Black Edition (3.2Ghz)
Hiper type-R2 680Watt PSU (5th one, this one being less powerful but it works?)
ASUS Nvidia 8800GTX
Reaper Module 8GB DDR2 (1066Mhz)

I've been undecided between two motherboard at the moment, reviews on both are somewhat equal but sometimes reflecting good/bad points about both so it really doesn't help me select which one.

They are 'Foxconn Destroyer' and the 'Asus crosshair 2'. I have wanted the Foxconn for longer however a friend that works as a PC engineer suggested the Asus however I wasn't sure and would like to have some views from other people before I spend quite a large amount of money.

So which is best for me? - I would be thankful any views/thoughts and suggestions.

(edit)I'd better tell you what I generally use my computer for; I'm a game programmer, and web designer. I do a lot of 3D Rendering and photo shopping. I also like to play games such as COD5 and Crysis. Not to mention powerful train simulators that I program for.

Last edited:

TheCrow

Processor Intel i7-930 @ 4.oghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage Gene III Extreme
Cooling Noctua NHU12F
Memory 6GB Kingston HyperX @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX560TI OC
Storage OCZ Agility 3 90GB SSD, 4x Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Acer 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Thermaltake Soprano VB1000BWS
Audio Device(s) Onboard XFI
Power Supply Corsair CX600V2
Software Windows Se7en 64 Extreme Edition
The asus sounds good to me but i thought the crosshair was for crossfire?
Maybe you would be better with a M2N-SLI or something similar?

As for the foxconn i've never had any experience with them sorry.

AMD++

Thanks for your input. I'm not sure but I don't think it's for crossfire at all.

Good thing with the Foxconn is that it also supports AM3 with the BIOS update; no performance increase but it is compatible which is a nice extra for upgrade space.

System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
Do you need 3 pci-e slots? If not there are alot of other boards out there with 1 or 2 slots with the same speed for alot cheaper!!

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
Foxconn is pretty decent. They've made parts for a lot of other companies before and only recently sold them on their own brand.

J-Man

System Name Watercooled beast
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.02GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage Formula X48
Cooling Swiftech Apogee GTZ, Black Ice GTX Xtreme 480, EK 250 Rev 2, EK 4870 X2, MCP655, 1/2" Tygon Tubing
Memory 4GB DDR2 OCZ @ 1066MHz 2.1V
Video Card(s) HIS ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 800 on core, 1000 on memory (overclocked in CCC)
Storage 500GB Maxtor Diamondmax 22 SATA II 32MB Cache
Display(s) Samsung 24" SM245B
Case SilverStone TJ07 black/windowed version
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty + Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Modular
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Retail
I wonder... how well does the 8800 GTX perform in the latest games? I bet it still does well considering when the GeForce 9 series came out, people claimed it still was king.

AMD++

I haven't seen any other graphics cards in action or read up on them infact so I can't really compare but put it this way I'm starting to forget what the phrase 'poor frames rates' actually means.

I can still run games (apart from Crysis/FSX) at full settings without a stutter, and now the PhsX chips has been activated it's even more powerful. I am looking at doubling up the 8800GTX rather than buying the newer versions.

Thanks for the views so far, I'm still leaning towards Foxconn.

TheCrow

Processor Intel i7-930 @ 4.oghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage Gene III Extreme
Cooling Noctua NHU12F
Memory 6GB Kingston HyperX @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX560TI OC
Storage OCZ Agility 3 90GB SSD, 4x Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Acer 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Thermaltake Soprano VB1000BWS
Audio Device(s) Onboard XFI
Power Supply Corsair CX600V2
Software Windows Se7en 64 Extreme Edition
You are right about the asus board. I didn't notice the two!

I think one of those with another 8800gtx for sli would rock!

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
Foxconn has been reliable and unreliable depending on their boards. The Destroyer board has been doing fairly well, their Quantum series boards are usually pretty good. (black-ops and blood rage) And i believe this board is part of that series. Be aware that the Phenom II BIOS update for this board I don't believe its available just yet. Foxconn does seem to have issues with their BIOS, as least from what I have seen.

As for the Asus board, I've only had experience with the Asus A8n-SLI deluxe which is still cranking away as my secondary PC. It run's like a champ, but I've always had problems with BSOD's in trying to OC with this board. The M2N-SLI is the board I put in my fathers machine and that thing is fantastic for a lower end board and for the cost.

Also with onboard graphics you can run the Asus and or Foxconn in Hybrid SLI using the onboard video as a boost, until you get your secondary card.

Edit: Check the Power Phase's on each board, are they 4+1 or 8+2?

Last edited:

AMD++

Thanks - I'm not sure what a power phase is and I dont think it's listed in the descriptions.

Foxconn has been reliable and unreliable depending on their boards. The Destroyer board has been doing fairly well, their Quantum series boards are usually pretty good. (black-ops and blood rage) And i believe this board is part of that series. Be aware that the Phenom II BIOS update for this board I don't believe its available just yet. Foxconn does seem to have issues with their BIOS, as least from what I have seen.

As for the Asus board, I've only had experience with the Asus A8n-SLI deluxe which is still cranking away as my secondary PC. It run's like a champ, but I've always had problems with BSOD's in trying to OC with this board. The M2N-SLI is the board I put in my fathers machine and that thing is fantastic for a lower end board and for the cost.

Also with onboard graphics you can run the Asus and or Foxconn in Hybrid SLI using the onboard video as a boost, until you get your secondary card.

Edit: Check the Power Phase's on each board, are they 4+1 or 8+2?