• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Ubuntu with Compiz + windows 8 build

Hi everyone, I'm wanting to set up a new computer very soon, combining windows 8 with Ubuntu. My focus is to use the machine primarily as a music (midi) computer and a gaming system. On the linux side I would primarily be using it for data rescue (utilizing ddrescue), but also want to be able to enable Compiz and style the heck out of the gui.

Ultimately, I'm wondering what build of Ubuntu I should install to maximize my compatability with Compiz...as I'm hearing it hasn't been updated to support newer builds...is this true?

Also, should I be going Nvidia or ATI with the card for the best results, I'm considering either an ATI 7870 card (gigabyte most likely), or the nvidia rough equivalent...

Thanks for any tips/guides/advice.

- Brett

System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
I think that modern Ubuntu flavours don't use Metacity/Compiz anymore and moved on to the Mutter Window Manager (after all, the Unity shell is based on the GNOME 3 desktop which uses Mutter). I do not know whether Mutter can effectively be replaced with Compiz though.

Thank you for the response and information.

Does anybody else have any other information or advice on this?

Also any tips or guidance to a link, etc to help me configure for dual boot this PC with win8 and Ubuntu, like, which do I install first? I was thinking of using an intel 313 cache drive combined with a single raptor hard drive, Or is there any major advantages to installing operating systems on two different hard drives? Is that even possible? I haven't done with much dual OS configurations as you can tell....

Last edited:
System Name windows 10 pro 64bit
Processor i5 6600k 4.4ghz 1.25v
Motherboard asus maximus viii gene
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock pro
Memory 2x8(16)GB 2860mhz
Video Card(s) gtx 1070 EVGA
Storage ssd x2 128gb raid0/ ssd480gb
Display(s) AOC 1440p 75hz
Case Aerocool DS Cube
Audio Device(s) asus motherboard intergrated
Power Supply be Quiet pure power L8 600w
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw wireles
Keyboard Logitec G213
Software my favorite World of Tanks :) is that a software?? :)
what i allways do is install windows first then when i try to install ubuntu or any other linux i install it alongside windows... u can not mis it!!maybe someone do it diferently..,but i do it like this and it work fine for me..even now i have dual bot for gaming using windows and everything else i use mint with cinnamon enviroment!!

System Name Waterfall | xe
Processor Core i3-12100F | i5-1240P
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M-DS3H | HP laptop
Cooling Custom Watercooling | Stock laptop
Memory 2*16GB | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) RX 5700 with WC blocks | Iris Xe
Storage Intel 660 1TB + Crucial BX100 500GB | 1TB SSD
Display(s) U24E850R+U2515H | Internal 16"
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 | Laptop
Audio Device(s) Audio 2 DJ + Xenyx Q802USB | Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W | 65W USB-C Power brick
Mouse Logitech M330
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Laptop
Software Gentoo + Windows 10 Pro | Gentoo
Would just point out that Unity is based on Compiz.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Yes, just install the latest Ubuntu and to decrease headaches use an Nvidia card. You should only have to install some window manager tools to tweak the UI and make it fancy.

System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
So should I just use unity then with the latest Ubuntu and not worry about it? Is it just as flashy?

Ubuntu uses Unity as its "Desktop Environment", with (according to agent00skid) Compiz as its Window Manager. The latter will only be responsible for drawing the windows the applications appear in and the visual effects (and thus complements the other components of the desktop, among which Unity).

BTW, most likely most of the effects are off by default to prevent driving people crazy (all enabled means the matter going far beyound the Aero effects of Windows), but the default settings will be flashy enough. Unity will be a pain in the ass, initially, though because it is quite different than conventional desktops. You may get used to it within a few days though.

Yes, just install the latest Ubuntu and to decrease headaches use an Nvidia card. You should only have to install some window manager tools to tweak the UI and make it fancy.

Why nVidia? Are their Linux drivers better than AMD's? The official drivers that is, not the open-source counterparts (Nouveau is very much a WIP; "Radeon" does so too but is much more mature.
At OP: whatever graphics brand you choose, install the official drivers. Ubuntu should ask you about this after installation (once booted into the desktop).

Processor Core i7-950 Bloomfield
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Venomous X
Memory 6GB G-Skill Ripjaws
Video Card(s) EVGA nVidia GTX480
Storage OCZ RevoDrive PCI SSD, 2 WD-1002FAEX in BTRFS RAID
Display(s) NEC Multisync 2490WUXi
Case Corsair Graphite 600T
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889 8-channel HDA
Power Supply Corsair HX-850
Software aptosid Linux, Win 7 on VMWare Player 4
Concur with the Nvidia card -- their proprietary Linux driver is consistently better and more reliable than AMD drivers.

If you really want to play with the UI configuration and fancy desktop effects, you might want to give Kubuntu a spin. KDE is considerably more re-configurable than Gnome/Unity, and you can skip the compiz thing.

Two cents worth ... :)