1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Z270 mb?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Whitestar, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Whitestar

Thanks Received:
    Right, so I haven't really made up my mind about whether I'm going for Kaby Lake or Ryzen this time. I'll probably be asking this same question about the AMD mobos when they arrive. But right now Kaby Lake is available so I'll ask about these mobos first, specifically Asus's mobos.

I'm planning to get a 7700K (if I go Intel). I have narrowed it down to Maximus IX Hero or a Strix board. What I'm really wondering about is this: Would you say it's necessary with a Hero (or above) to be able to achieve a stable overclock? Or can I get away with a cheaper board, such as one of the Strix? From what I gather those capasitors around the CPU on the Hero will help with power stability/delivery, but exactly how essential are they?

Opinions are welcome. :)

Edit: Thread title changed, so as not to limit the discussion to only Asus boards.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Hero or less is fine. It's not an AMD octo where you need a very robust power delivery...where you will be taking it (read: ambient cooling), you dont need more than a $150-200 board.

Whitestar says thanks.
  3. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    No. Asus Hero, Maximus and similar motherboards are very good, but seriously overpriced. As a matter of fact, Asus MOBO's in general are overpriced considering some equally good and cheaper competition.
    The real question is does it really have to be Asus? Pretty much any decent motherboard from Z270 range will allow a good overclock, unless you aim for 6+ GHz on liquid nitrogen... If you don't receive a bad sample of i7 CPU, I think that vast majority of Z270 motherboards will allow you to OC to 4,9 or even 5,0 GHz.

Whitestar says thanks.
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Just Overclock the 2700K for the time being.

There is no advantage of the 7700K over the 6700K.

Whitestar says thanks.
  5. Whitestar

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, you're probably right. It's just that my current mobo has been the core of the most stable system I have ever had. But of course it can't take all the credit for that. And other boards will probably do just as good a job. Bias works in strange ways. :) And I totally agree that it's overpriced.

Yeah I know. And I would. It's just that my system has started acting up a little lately, especially in Windows 10. I'm wondering if it's because of lack of chipset drivers for W10. Anyway, I want to switch to W10 now because of certain games, so I it seems I need a new system. Besides, 35 % more performance (from Sandy Bridge to Kaby/Skylake) is good enough. Not great by any means, but good enough. But maybe I'll wait and see what Ryzen brings to the table.

Edit: Just to clarify, when I say "acting up" I mean that in W10 I suddenly got memory errors when booting. The only thing I can guess is wrong is that this particular board (P8P67 Deluxe) doesn't have dedicated W10 chipset drivers. But that didn't really make sense to me either, because I thought BIOS was sort of "separated" from W10, so that the drivers would not "kick in" until W10 started. But what do I know. All I know is that this doesn't happen when I have W7 installed. I got rid of the boot error by fiddling with the motherboard (can't remember exactly how), but it happened again after a while, so I just uninstalled W10 and reinstalled W7. So now I'm in a position where I feel I have to upgrade my system in order to use W10. Otherwise I would just continue to overclock my 2700, like you said.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  6. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Just Clockspeeds And Overclocking potential. ;)

7. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget a better looking lid on 7700K. Just that offers 0,2% better performance - enough for a new generation of Intel's CPU's. :)

8. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Z68/77 drivers are same as p67 http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z77A/HelpDesk_Download/
    Create a system restore point and try these for both 32 and 64bit.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/Intel_Chipset_Win10_V10117.zip

Memory Errors, what Kind? A BSOD with 0x codes? I seriously doubt Memory issues are pertaining to the chipset when you could be having ram troubles

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Whitestar says thanks.
  9. Whitestar

Thanks Received:
    Aha, thanks! I will try those and report back (might take a while though).

No, the problem was a boot error with a boot code. Sorry, can't remember what it was and how I solved it. It started when I upgraded from 8 to 16GB. I made sure the new memory was on the board's QVL list. Shortly after I booted in W10 with it, I started to get that boot error code. But it happens with my old memory too.

Now, I did do a mistake when inserting the new memory modules. The power was obviously off, but I had forgotten to disconnect the power cable and switch off the PSU. As I was kicking myself over this stupid mistake I got relieved when seemingly everything was fine anyway, the first time booting up. But maybe that mistake could have lead to some sort of damage on the mobo, and thus the issues I had later on? But there's a hole in that theory as well, and that is that everything works fine now in W7 (with the new mem modules inserted). Can't really get my head around it.

Anyway, if there are more problems after I try a new W10 install with those drivers you linked to, I will open a new thread in an appropriate subforum and refer back here.

Edit: Updated my system specs, as they were outdated.

10. eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    If 7 is working for you but 10 isnt just use 7.

11. Whitestar

Thanks Received:
    Yep, but like I said there are some games I would like to play, first and foremost Forza Horizon 3. And that's only available on W10 apparently.

12. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    For self I would choose Code, he is more expensive than Hero but it's beautifull and worth 60-70 more.
    Anything more expensive only for Extreme chipset not for Z.

If Maximus IX Code with 290-300$ is to much than Hero for arround 230$ is not overpriced.
    For i7-7700K anything cheaper only if money is problem.

Maximus IX Code

Maximus IX Hero

There is one great option for smaller case

ASUS Strix Z270G

My choice would be Code or Strix mATX.
    For me 300$ is limit for mainstream motherboards because fast replacement with new chipset.
    Looks like ASUS replaced ROG package, I mean box. I liked their red hard box for premium ROG motherboards Extreme series with handle. I think last few years only Formula and Extreme arrive in that kind of box.

13. Whitestar

Thanks Received:
    Thread title changed, so as not to limit the discussion to only Asus boards.

14. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    I don't see better board than Hero for 230$ and mATX Strix for 200$.
    That's best option for i7-7700K except CODE.

Do you like mATX Form factor?
    You can install 2 graphic cards, dedicate sound card and M.2.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  15. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    This is a good board and by all the reviews there is really no benefit or (very little benefit) of going 270 over the 170 chipset. It is $219.00 after a rebate and was over $300.00 at one time. You just have to flash the bios. However from what I'm told you can do that prior to installing the CPU. It got a fantastic review here on TPU. I did see you wanted a 270 board, but I thought you might want to explore all options. The second listed board is another alternative to the Asus board which are also good, and it has a 270 chipset.

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813130937

Here would be another very good 270 option. It has very good reviews

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130969&ignorebbr=1

Key difference in the chipsets

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z270-vs-Z170-What-is-the-Difference-877/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Consider if you want to use sli/cfx, you will want the more lanes that are offered in the z270 chipset. Assuming you want to use pcie 4x m.2 drive. There is also optane memory when it comes around...and whatever, if any, benefits that has.

If you don't need those features, you can save a few dollars and go z170. That said, I wouldn't bother for the pittance difference. Get z270. As I said, nearly any will do I that $200 range. It's just a matter of your requirements feature wise, the look you want, and price. There are VERY few differences between boards.