• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Who are the competitors to ARM?

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
I haven't been following the mobile market much and I'm pretty much in the dark regarding who the competitors are in that market. I know there's ARM and Qualcomm (which might just be a manufacturer of the ARM architecture or a competitor.... I don't know) and NVIDIA's Tegra, but are these chips "interchangeable" in that they'll all run certain versions of Linux, Android, etc.? I know I can look this up but for once, I'd like that take the chance to sit back and get knowledged up by the folks here at TPU that are in the know. I'm dumb regarding this subject and that doesn't quite sit well with me.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
arm has the momentum of a developed ecosystem in that space, much like x86 in desktops/laptops.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Intel of Course !!!

Their competitive Product o_O:laugh: The Atom chip line up ( but look at their resources they could bring to the Table )

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I haven't been following the mobile market much and I'm pretty much in the dark regarding who the competitors are in that market. I know there's ARM and Qualcomm (which might just be a manufacturer of the ARM architecture or a competitor.... I don't know) and NVIDIA's Tegra, but are these chips "interchangeable" in that they'll all run certain versions of Linux, Android, etc.? I know I can look this up but for once, I'd like that take the chance to sit back and get knowledged up by the folks here at TPU that are in the know. I'm dumb regarding this subject and that doesn't quite sit well with me.

ARM has a few direct competitors, such as MIPS (now a part of Imagination Technologies), ARC (owned by Synopsys), SuperH (by Renesas), Tensilica and others. The common thread here being that these companies (with the exception of Renesas) only creates the IP and not actual chips based on their IP.

Qualcomm, Broadcom, TI, MediaTek, Apple, Nvidia, etc. license IP from ARM and then design their chips around it.

Processors based on the same IP are "interchangeable" to a certain degree, but you can generally not swap say a Qualcomm chip for an Nvidia chip without extensive software customisation, as the OS for most of these types of devices are not general purpose in the same way that Windows works on x86 hardware.

Admittedly Microsoft has to do a fair bit of work on Windows to make it work with all the hardware that it supports, but at the same time, Intel and AMD are seemingly doing a lot more work in terms of drivers etc. than you see from many of the smaller ARM licensees, especially many of the Chinese ones like RockChip, AllWinner etc. which often have poor software support, whereas companies like Qualcomm, Broadcom and TI offer quite good support.

Was there a specific question you had in mind?

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Personally I think arm arch is highly overrated, it's a mess now.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
ARM has a few direct competitors, such as MIPS (now a part of Imagination Technologies), ARC (owned by Synopsys), SuperH (by Renesas), Tensilica and others. The common thread here being that these companies (with the exception of Renesas) only creates the IP and not actual chips based on their IP.

Qualcomm, Broadcom, TI, MediaTek, Apple, Nvidia, etc. license IP from ARM and then design their chips around it.

Processors based on the same IP are "interchangeable" to a certain degree, but you can generally not swap say a Qualcomm chip for an Nvidia chip without extensive software customisation, as the OS for most of these types of devices are not general purpose in the same way that Windows works on x86 hardware.

Admittedly Microsoft has to do a fair bit of work on Windows to make it work with all the hardware that it supports, but at the same time, Intel and AMD are seemingly doing a lot more work in terms of drivers etc. than you see from many of the smaller ARM licensees, especially many of the Chinese ones like RockChip, AllWinner etc. which often have poor software support, whereas companies like Qualcomm, Broadcom and TI offer quite good support.

Was there a specific question you had in mind?

You only forgot PowerPC arch that is still used broadly in some high end routers... and other expensive toys like F35(cough)...

MIPS is still alive too and very powerful.

ARM is not a mess... companies like screwed nvidia adding their tegra part that is closed source causes fragmentation, same goes for many other devices too. The arch itself is mature enough. Accelerated X86 emulation module should appear soon, shame Intel bought Transmeta and killed it... they nailed it first.

Last edited:
System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
So Overrated that i expect your phone has one :)

Yeah but have you ever tried to deal with arm ltd, or design one from the ground up.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Yeah but have you ever tried to deal with arm ltd, or design one from the ground up.

So your complaint is licensing? If so, I don't know, I picture using anyones intellectual property is going to be a pain and cost money.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Personally I think arm arch is highly overrated, it's a mess now.
ARM cannot be a mess. It's like a LEGO set, which "licensees" use to build CPUs and SoCs with tools provided by ARM.
Some make cool castles and RC cars, and some make rainbow-colored bricks of ugliness...:banghead:

companies like screwed nvidia adding their tegra part that is closed source causes fragmentation, same goes for many other devices too.
For me the worst example - is Allwinner. This company makes broad and loud claims about OpenSource support and contribution, yet even older SoCs still don't have proper Linux drivers or all the info needed to develop one, only random binary blobs and some vague tech reference materials.
NVidia is #2, but they have a completely different workflow and auditory. NV makes their own consumer devices, and provides all necessary tools for developers. My cousin worked on a project, which involved Drive CX, and at least from his perspective it was more comfortable to work with, than a previous project which was tested on Freescale iMX6 dev kit.

Last edited: