1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Who Else Wants To Tweak Windows XP For A Faster PC

Discussion in 'General Software' started by bytekiller, Feb 26, 2007.

1. bytekiller New Member

Feb 17, 2007
    3 (0.00/day)
    Thanks Received:
  2. hat

hat Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2006
    17,880 (4.93/day)
    Thanks Received:
    I dont see how removing any files from your pc will speed it up any. Also the desktop background thing seems pretty bogus too..
  3. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    2,648 (0.74/day)
    Thanks Received:
  4. Alec§taar New Member

May 15, 2006
    4,677 (1.22/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    There IS a 'little something' to that, I use it myself... here is why:

Since the outermost tracks of a drive are the fastest due to them having a greater diameter/circumference (same idea as why a car with tinier tires doesn't get as good of speed or mileage, given the same engines etc.)?

Having less files on a drive makes the files get moved MORE to that outer area during defrags, &/or Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, + Windows VISTA boot-time optimizations of files, typically.

I even move my downloads to different drives as well as data I generate during programming, as well as browser caches, temporary operations files, & logs from both the OS + applications too.

This all also helps lessen diskdrive head movements (because I put other stuff on other disks) & lessens interference in the disk loading programs & OS files as well.

(Which is also why you will hear folks doing something called "short-stroking" a drive during benchmarks, is typically viewed as CHEATING on the tests)...

Short-stroked disks = partitioning it in 2 parts, & only using the first partition created (this IS done on the outermost tracks mind you as partition #1, for performance purposes by the OS) as active & formatted.

* This is also a LARGE part of why I put OS & Programs ONLY on my booting drive, & even remove logging from the OS & apps on it & my browsers webcaches & cookies too!

(Placing them onto my solidstate disk, per my signature below, here which is faster to begin with, but takes I/O loads off of my main disk & allows defraggers to place the OS & Program executables & files they need up nearer to the outermost fastest platters of the disk)

P.S.=> I.E.? Pure PHYSICS... & every little bit helps... on THAT account.

On the desktop background? Using wallpapers eats more RAM, than using a cascaded desktop background color (or patterns)!

(but I am not even SURE if new Windows has that, the old models did, been so long since I looked period regarding using patterns)!

... & depending on the image size you use as a wallpaper?? This CAN be quite a lot...

Believe-it-or-not, loading a lot of FONTS, ones you may never use, can also be a memory eater as well... apk
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU