1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Who the friq are you?

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by 123bob, May 14, 2009.

1. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  2. D.Law

D.Law New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I have been lurking around for quite a while now, never got myself to register and post anything. Find this thread to be a great place to make my introductions.

My name is Damien, 26, from Malaysia. I work for an IT firm here and been highly active in both hardware and gaming industry for the past few years. Been crunching for TPU since 3rd Feb 2010 and I don't have any reason in particular that got me crunching other than that of donating spare CPU cycles for a good cause. Not to mention having my daily dosage of cherry pie doesn't hurt either :D

I still have quite a few rigs that I can bring online but it is being hampered by lack of space, insane power draw and mainly lack of free time. :( My job keeps me busy 6 days out of the week, sometimes 7 if there is an event/roadshow. Anyone interested in co-hosting some of my rigs? :p

I kind of like Chicken Patty's move in helping other members to reach milestones. I think that is a great way of motivating new crunchers. I might just follow suit once I reach a million or 2 (in another month or so I hope).

In the mean time, nice to meet you guys, and CRUNCH ON!!!!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Cruncher #1 - Core i7 965 | #2 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5420 | #3 - Core i7 920 | #4 - Core i7 870 | #5 - Core i7 860 | #6 - Core 2 Quad Q9450 | #7 - Core 2 Quad Q9400 | #8 - Core 2 Quad Q9400 |
    Total Threads - 52
    Total HDD Space - 45TB
    Total Power Draw - INSANE!!!

[​IMG]

3. KieX

Thanks Received:
    It is real good to know who you are at last! Had been wondering for a little while :laugh:. It is a pleasure to have you in the team and bid you my humble welcome :)

That is quite the farm you have, take some pics and post in the farm pics thread, oh pretty please. Quite the sight me thinks.

Thanks for posting, and joining. And enjoy your stay :toast:

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  4. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    About time d.law :p

welcome aboard an we are very pleased to have you here. Since I've reached one million I have helped out 2 different members which doesn't seem like much but I've gave away about 300k BOINC points to other members which to me means a lot!

Crunch on buddy and stick around. You'll have a great time here :toast:

brandonwh64 says thanks.
  5. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the team. Now we can put a number to a name. :) Hope you stick around awhile, great place to hang and do good for humanity. :toast:

brandonwh64 and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  6. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    :toast:Would like to give this post a good bump:toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    :toast:another bump:toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    I know we are missing a lot of member intros so post'em up fellas.

9. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    damn you W1zz !!!!

oh well i try again ahha

im 24, on the 3rd year with my GF, gonna move in together soon i hope, within the next 6 months or so

i crunch because i find it interesting, and i have also lost 3 members of my family to cancer, both grandparents and my mom. so i know how hard that shit hits

and i will never join another team,

this team is awzumtastic, and imho, we have the best El'Capitan out there, yes David, that is you, you are a genuine good guy, and i hope to meet you one day, and some of the other members too aswell:toast:

so thats me, come again you others who lost their posts to w1zz mass murder lol

and crunch on, and do it hard as you can

10. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    That's what she said :laugh:

brandonwh64 and (FIH) The Don say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Another try for me too. W1zz used the "erase" spell today :laugh:

I am a 35 years old with a beautiful wife and 2 great kids, a 6yo girl and a 14yo young man. I have been an escrow officer and title agent for the past decade but this last week have started as a Senior Lease and Title Agent for a top 5 oil and gas company. I have been building computers for the past 15-20 years and have made TPU my home on the web.

Just want to take the opportunity to say thanks to all here for always making me feel welcome and always offering me assistance when it is needed. You guys (and girls) are also always good to make me laugh, and sometimes spew soda on the keyboard with your antics. Keep it up. :toast:

12. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    My name is Gary and i am 30 yrs old... I have a 5yr old boy and a 4yr old girl who are my life and a good woman that supports me! I get to sit in front of the computer all day and thought i should do something productive with my time so i studied up on crunching. I personally lost an aunt and grandfather to cancer so crunching is very important to me. I don't work because i am a disabled vet from the Iraq war. We have an awesome team captain and other behind the scenes players that makes our team the best... i recently won the crunching contest and have another rig up! I have a nice little farm starting i'm up to 4 computers that crunch 24/7. I am VERY proud to be a member of this team!!!

13. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Hello, My name is Brandon and I am 27Yrs old. I was previously in the U.S. Army (tech still am until October 2012). I was a 11C Infantry and did two deployments to IRAQ. I have completed my associates degree in Electronics Engineering Technology and I am currently going for my bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering Technology. I currently work for Alstom Turbo Machines in Chattanooga TN. I have a wife and her name is Jill along with a step daughter. Crunching to me is important because the research we do could save future lives and I want to do as much as I can to help the cause. Many members here at TPU have been so kind in helping people who want to crunch get everything setup!

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Angry and whiny.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Good that you brought this back from the dead, lots of new members that could introduce themselves. :)

16. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    can i contribute to raising the thread, err dead :D

17. twilyth Guest

It seems I never posted in this thread. You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay, but my family, when I talk to them that is, call me Robin. I've had at least 3 different careers, if you don't count driving a bus, so I'll spare you that bit. I got involved with distributed computing when United Devices was pretty much the only company doing grid computing. I think IBM actually pioneered it but it was United Devices and similar companies that actually made it happen.

Eventually they folded. By that time, there were a fair number of grid projects. I wanted to help with medical research and went to Rosetta I think it was - or maybe F@H - but I heard such good things about WCG I ended up going there.

I don't have a personal stake in any of the research, at least not so far and not directly, but I like the idea of contributing. I also give to various charities but this is a little more "real" than just writing a check or seeing a charge on your credit card. Plus I have OCD and this is like crack on steroids (how's that for mixing metaphors) for people like me.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I used to be a spam bot, until w1zz OC'd be until i gained sentience. Now i'm trollbot9000 and i work for w1zz because i'm his roboslave.

ThE_MaD_ShOt and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  19. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Haha Mussels :laugh: Have you ever given a serious intro?

20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    serious? does not compute.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:

:roll:

22. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Hello my name is tom I am an unemployed mixer truck driver married 3 kids 3 grand kids.
    Why do I feel like I am in an AA meeting right now?

ChaoticAtmosphere says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  23. twilyth Guest

The support groups are where you go after you go broke building rigs and paying for electricity.

I'm a friend of Bill W. Need a sponsor? :roll:

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    LOL Yes. :respect:

10 Year Member at TPU