• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Who the friq are you?

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
EDIT: Updated this post since I moved back over to XS. My best to all of you here. You have a great team..:rockout: : END EDIT

I realized, by posting up in a recent thread on my home team at XS, that I have not shared with most of you who I am, what I'm about, and what motivates me to do what I do. Sharing is what builds a strong team. I will try to tell you who I am by sharing some of my XS threads that got me into this thing we call crunching.... Feel free to tell us who you are in this thread. Let's get to really know each other....This provides the base for a strong team. We can help each other out by this....:toast:

The ground rules for posting in this thread....No pretenses, no pretending, tell us who you really are, good or bad....:slap:

For my recent TPU history, I came here with the outage of the XS forum.

W1zz gave us the "Xtreme Refugee" title without the normal 5k post criteria. (So that all of you know, W1zz has been an "XIP" for some time at Xtreme. He has historical latitude there. I would hope folks here realize that the most "Xtreme" of us over at XS, have been welcomed, in his house, here....Thanks again W1zz for hosting us, and putting up with us. :up: (XS, for thumbs up....)

For me in particular, I am a 47 year old Principal Staff Electrical Engineer for Motorola. I have been with the company for 20 years. Before that, I was a USAF member involved in many interesting things.

OK, that's what I do for a living, who else am I? More importantly, like Loonym, who was a pinch hitter here for the team, I am a single parent of a now 13 year old Daughter. She is my light, my delight, my reason for living, and the source of my greatest angst sometimes.....:laugh:

I will post a snapshot from my XS posts of this. There's great nuggets of info here on technical details, but what I want this team to catch is the PASSION the XS folks bring to what we do.

Here's when I decided to commit to the team and crunch a farm. HERE.

Here's what happened when the cooling problem came into place. A pic of me is in here too.....:eek: HERE.

Everyone looks for success. Here's one of that, and why we do this....HERE.

My Sister has cancer, need I say more? HERE?

We also have fun at XS, as you should here....This was a contest to see who had the UGLIEST cruncher....SparkyJJO has won this two years in a row. He folds here, I just ran him over yesterday on that......Sorry Sparky!! I didn't realize you were folding here....I just started folding with 6 260-216s on the "exchange program".......:p "Franky" thread HERE.

I would hope that you folks know me from these. I would ask you, why do you do this? It is an important question, and if you're dedicated, an important answer and commitment.

For me Crunching and now folding is something I will do until I am finally dead. I crunch/fold for my daughter and her kids....and for a few others I will name later...

:toast: to those of you who are serious about this....

Respect and Regards,
Bob

Last edited:
System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
I am a 21 year old working in Air Traffic Management. None of my relatives or no one I know personally has/had cancer or any life threatening desease that cannot be cured.
The reason I fold is because I want to do something good, contributing in something good. And personally, I let my hardware power doing the good rather than donate money (you don't always know where taht money ends up).

Don't know if I'm a pretender in your eyes tho.

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
I am a 21 year old working in Air Traffic Management. None of my relatives or no one I know personally has/had cancer or any life threatening desease that cannot be cured.
The reason I fold is because I want to do something good, contributing in something good. And personally, I let my hardware power doing the good rather than donate money (you don't always know where taht money ends up).

Don't know if I'm a pretender in your eyes tho.

No, you're no pretender...You've got respectable stats... :rockout: (I'd rather have my XS :up: here though...)

Now I know a bit more about you. This is good. Do you need anything to help you go forward? Hardware, software? LMK.

Don't get me wrong on this folks, I look at those who put up numbers for the day. Any amount is good. Zeros don't count in my book. Talking a big story without the numbers doesn't work......MRCL, is the team.....Get it?

We need to realize that the big share of projects are not solved by the big hitters. It is by millions of single machines. Crunch on!!!

Regards,
Bob

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I was a USAF member involved in many interesting things.

does that stand for "if i tell you i have to kill you" ? :laugh:

Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 64bit
Thank you. I let my main machine crunch using 100% CPU during the night and when I'm at work, otherwise 60%. So if BOINC manager isn't crashing or I lose connection somehow, I contribute 24/7.

What I need is a miracle, my P4 rig refuses to connect to internet altho I KNOW its possible and I've done it a million times before. Gotta solve that. Would make another 24/7 rig.

Yeah, many many small numbers add up to a huge amount!

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
Thank you. I let my main machine crunch using 100% CPU during the night and when I'm at work, otherwise 60%. So if BOINC manager isn't crashing or I lose connection somehow, I contribute 24/7.

What I need is a miracle, my P4 rig refuses to connect to internet altho I KNOW its possible and I've done it a million times before. Gotta solve that. Would make another 24/7 rig.

Yeah, many many small numbers add up to a huge amount!

"ipconfig" says what on the p4 rig? DOS window stuff....Let's work this out.

Hehe,,,I have to have my nephew come over here in order to find out why the heck my only XP folder can't file share with the Vista 64 bit farm. It's driving me nuts, and the only reason I'm up now!!

My Vista workbench rig can't find the XP folder rig....It does fine on the crunching side with the boinview port opened.....

I'll say this here, not on the folding team side....Folding is WAY behind us on crunching on the client, GUI, and monitoring side of things....

LMK, if you need some hardware chunks to keep going....:up: (XS for this
)

(@W1zz, please steal this one!!!)

Last edited:
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 64bit
"ipconfig" says what on the p4 rig? DOS window stuff....Let's work this out.

Hehe,,,I have to have my nephew come over here in order to find out why the heck my only XP folder can't file share with the Vista 64 bit farm. It's driving me nuts, and the only reason I'm up now!!

My Vista workbench rig can't find the XP folder rig....It does fine on the crunching side with the boinview port opened.....

I'll say this here, not on the folding team side....Folding is WAY behind us on crunching on the client, GUI, and monitoring side of things....

LMK, if you need some harware chunks to keep going....:up: (XS for this http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/123bob_bucket/680i install pics/thumbsup.gif)

(@W1zz, please steal this one!!!)

It craps on the installation of the WLAN device. Says "connect device" and if I do that, nothing happens. Weird, because installation always worked before.

Actually I'm thinking about getting a PSU and some RAM, then I could use the spare CPU and Motherboard for a cruncher.

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
It craps on the installation of the WLAN device. Says "connect device" and if I do that, nothing happens. Weird, because installation always worked before.

Actually I'm thinking about getting a PSU and some RAM, then I could use the spare CPU and Motherboard for a cruncher.

Is it a situation where you are attempting to install a driver off an old CD with an op sys that doesn't know about it? Downloaded USB stick drivers that are current would take care of this?

Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 64bit
Is it a situation where you are attempting to install a driver off an old CD with an op sys that doesn't know about it? Downloaded USB stick drivers that are current would take care of this?

I had that thing working on that rig under Win2k, XP and even 98. I'm always using the latest drivers, so that is not the problem... (downloaded from internet and transferred to the P4 rig). Need to take care of this when I'm at home again in a couple hours.

RAMMIE

Great thread idea Bob!

My name is Mike.I'm 50 years old.My lovely wife Donna and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary last November 19th.We have two sons.
Ryan is in the US army and is in Kuwait.Goes to Iraq in 5 days.
Neil graduates from HS this Saturday and will be attending Missouri State University this fall.

We live in the St. Louis area. I am a carpenter.My favorite thing to do is fishing.I will fish in any weather or conditions any time.If I could put crunchers on my boat I would.

I don't have a personal stake in crunching except for the hope that it will help my children and future grandchildren and all others have better lives in the future.

Mike

mike047

System Name home/farm
Processor 11quads/1 dual quad/2 dueces
Motherboard Gigabyte/Tyan/Mac
Cooling air
Memory DDR2 800-1066
Video Card(s) 3-260/2-250/2-8800/4-9600/2-9800
Storage yes
Power Supply Cheap Rosewill/Mac
Software 2-XP32/1-XP64/12-Ubuntu/1-Mac
Benchmark Scores No benchies, just a cruncher:)
Great thread idea Bob!

My name is Mike.I'm 50 years old.My lovely wife Donna and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary last November 19th.We have two sons.
Ryan is in the US army and is in Kuwait.Goes to Iraq in 5 days.
Neil graduates from HS this Saturday and will be attending Missouri State University this fall.

We live in the St. Louis area. I am a carpenter.My favorite thing to do is fishing.I will fish in any weather or conditions any time.If I could put crunchers on my boat I would.

I don't have a personal stake in crunching except for the hope that it will help my children and future grandchildren and all others have better lives in the future.

Mike

Bottom line, this what it is all about.

I won't bore this forum with my resume':p

loonym

System Name errrr....
Processor w3520
Motherboard dfi lp-ut x58
Cooling true, panaflo push/pull
Memory 6gb ddr3 12800 gskill
Video Card(s) 2x 9800gt sli
Storage raptor raid0, seagate 750
Display(s) sceptre 24"
Case xclio windtunnel advanced
Audio Device(s) stock dfi
Power Supply xclio truepower 1000w
Software xp64 sp2
I'm not gonna go into a whole lot of detail. Anyone really interested can go and dig around XS for all my dirt. My name's Jon and I live up on the coast of Maine. I'm 47 and a single dad of a beautiful 2yo daughter. Last year I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. It's stage 4, inoperable, and I'm currently undergoing my second round of chemo. Anything I do now is for my little one and her children and her children's children. Cancer will kill and it doesn't discriminate so get busy. :up:

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Well, as you can tell from the handle, I'm Don, and I'm in Kansas.:roll:

I'm 30, a husband, a father to a 4 year old boy and 8 month old little girl, and I work as a dispatcher for a rural county Police/Fire/EMS. I umpire high school, Legion, and Junior College baseball and ref high school basketball. I just finished my Associate's Degree in Computer Information Systems. As you can see, I don't have time to breathe.:p

I've had multiple family members and friends lost to cancer, and know several struggling with it. Crunching is one of those things I've meant to do for a while and kept getting sidetracked. Now that I'm in, you can't get me out.:D

System Name Ultimate Vortex III
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8Gb) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
Video Card(s) Asus RX5700-8G Radeon RX 5700
Storage 2 x WD Blue SN550 1Tb NVMe in RAID 0 Striped Set
Display(s) TUF Gaming VG279QL1A 165 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 ARGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W
Mouse Corsair RGB
Keyboard K70 Rapidfire with Cherry MX Speed
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Wow, what a great idea Bob! I always felt like doing something good with my first major build so when I heard about WCG I jumped right on it and getting to know my fellow team members just adds to the importance!! :)

I'm glad to meet all of you and congrats on your 50th RAMMIE :toast:

Sorry to hear about your cancer loonym...I hope it goes into remission for ya.

My name is Blair. I'm 43 years old and live in London, Canada. I'm a divorced father of a beautiful 14 year old who lives in Calgary with her mother. So I don't get to see her much but I try to keep in contact with her every chance I get.

I was gunning towards my first year of Engineering when my wife filed for divorce which kinda threw me into a downward spiral but now I do Internet support for a living and My rig is my my life and keeps me outta trouble.

I do crunching 24/7 for the benefit of all those I know who have battled or who have had family members who have battled cancer and for the benefit of humanity. I've been crunching for 2 weeks now and finally fine tuned my rig to put out consistent numbers.

I've been a member of TPU since I first sought opinions on my choice of build My first post and felt welcomed from the get go so this is where my home is!! :)

123bob

Xtreme Refugee
Thanks for your replies! :toast: @Everyone else, keep them coming! :D

@Mike047, I've crunched with you before at XS....Don't know if you remember me, but I know you a bit at least...:D I had wondered where the "DC gypsy" went...:toast:

Regards,
Bob

mike047

System Name home/farm
Processor 11quads/1 dual quad/2 dueces
Motherboard Gigabyte/Tyan/Mac
Cooling air
Memory DDR2 800-1066
Video Card(s) 3-260/2-250/2-8800/4-9600/2-9800
Storage yes
Power Supply Cheap Rosewill/Mac
Software 2-XP32/1-XP64/12-Ubuntu/1-Mac
Benchmark Scores No benchies, just a cruncher:)
Thanks for your replies! :toast: @Everyone else, keep them coming! :D

@Mike047, I've crunched with you before at XS....Don't know if you remember me, but I know you a bit at least...:D I had wondered where the "DC gypsy" went...:toast:

Regards,
Bob

Sure I remember you:D

Just been staying at home[ team Zirconia] until I found this place. I'm going to hang for awhile, I have a bunch of GPU cards:D

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Hey guys. Some of you here know me well already. Obviously, my name is Paul. I'm 38 (today in fact). I'm a Vocational Rehab counselor for the State of TN, and I'm currently finishing my Masters degree. I live in Greeneville TN with my wife (the shrink), my two daughters (6 and 8), and my black lab "Shadow". I'm really a misplaced Yankee, born and raised in NY. We've moved to VA, KY and now TN while my wife was finishing her Phd. She is finally done, and just opened her own practice. In addition to my work as a VR Counselor, I'm also a Certified Personal Trainer...though I don't do much of that these days, and I run a small mobile computer repair shop.

I crunch because I want to give back. As I get older I search for more and more of the simple things that I can do to make the world a better place, and I make sure to do those things. One of my oldest and best friends had breast cancer too, so it gives me more motivation to crunch.

I'm dedicated to the cause. Actually, right now I'm feeling guilty that my i7 is down, and all I'm crunching with is a Q6600 and 5000+BE. I'll be making up for it soon though, since my i7 will be up early next week, and hopefully, I'll be adding a QX9650 to the mix.

I'm proud to be part of this team, and truly appreciate all of its members. I hope we all crunch together for years to come. :toast:

System Name Ultimate Vortex III
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8Gb) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
Video Card(s) Asus RX5700-8G Radeon RX 5700
Storage 2 x WD Blue SN550 1Tb NVMe in RAID 0 Striped Set
Display(s) TUF Gaming VG279QL1A 165 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 ARGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W
Mouse Corsair RGB
Keyboard K70 Rapidfire with Cherry MX Speed
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Last edited:
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 64bit
Happy B-day from me too man! :toast:

Your PSUs still working:cool:

:)
Bob,
Mike was my inspiration for a walk about.

I think Mike is the DC gypsy leader he also started me on my travels:D

My name is Robert and I am an addict to crunching that is. :) I am 58, married with two children. My son is 30, and my daughter is 25. I am medically retired from work. my wife and I like to go away on weekends in our touring caravan with friends. We are lucky that none of our family has died from cancer, the reason I crunch is because my wife is a manageress of a sheltered housing complex for the elderly, and we have seen quite a few die from cancer. I started crunching with UD in 2001, and then moved to find a drug, and then to Boinc

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Well I am Stephen, getting close to 37 (six weeks time), married, with no kids.

I worked in the textile industry (Irish Linen) for 14 years as a machine tech, but due to the decline of the linen industry, I now work for well known food manufacturer.

I started running the Folding@home project a couple of years ago on my single core AMD rig's(slow as hell) but now with the advance to GPU folding I thought I had better give those CPU's something better to do...so I joined the WCG team.

Why stress your computers ?? Well...I am a hoarder (I dont throw away old rigs) and I dont like to see things doing nothing...so I thought how best to put my spare/idle computer parts to good use and Folding/Crunching was the solution for me.

Why Folding/Crunching ?? The reasons need no explanation, to help find a cure to the biggest killer out there.
Also having a dear friend lose his father to cancer, at far too early an age.
I just think the world would be a better place with these people still in it...and if we can stop the loss of people like him/others in years to come...then I am all in.

EDIT: Yes this can be expensive in the day to day running of things....but you ain't taking it with you...so make the most of it now.

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
I know this is an old..ish thread but goin to bump it anyway.

Will give new members a chance to introduce themselves and get to know all the rest of us (we are a family after all).

No details needed ...just pop in and say hello!!