• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Who's Curious To See If Sony Unveils The PS4?

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I DO have a PS3 and about 80 games...and I don't care.. Because I already have a PS3. The WiiU's success, with adding another device laying around, having to plug in and charge, etc, doesn't matter to most users. WiiU is still sold out regularly locally.

The WiiU also plays older games.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The WiiU also plays older games.

so did the Wii.

The PS3..doesn't really. PS1 only, PS2 only with launch consoles. To expect backwards compatibility from Sony is expecting too much, especially considering how the new backend all works. I have a PS2 or three still. Not sure why, It's not like I'm gonna go back and play those older games. It's only those that cheaped out and missed out that care.

And actually, I expect the cost of this console to greatly reflect the pricing of those that upgrade their phones yearly. $399. It could be more, but I expect that Sony will take a loss on launch unit as they always have, just to get them in people's living rooms. Phones need big back-end upgrades too, and they charge monthly for it..to the tune of $60 a month or so for most. Oh look..games cost $60...

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
so did the Wii.

The PS3..doesn't really. PS1 only, PS2 only with launch consoles. To expect backwards compatibility from Sony is expecting too much, especially considering how the new backend all works. I have a PS2 or three still. Not sure why, It's not like I'm gonna go back and play those older games. It's only those that cheaped out and missed out that care.

And actually, I expect the cost of this console to greatly reflect the pricing of those that upgrade their phones yearly. $399. It could be more, but I expect that Sony will take a loss on launch unit as they always have, just to get them in people's living rooms. Phones need big back-end upgrades too, and they charge monthly for it..to the tune of $60 a month or so for most. Oh look..games cost $60...

Well I know a few people who like backwards compatibility. Like you said I personally wouldn't care myself BUT I do know there are people out there that do. Hell I know my wife wouldn't let me get a WiiU if it couldn't play all the old games we spent money on........women just don't get it. They are all about budgeting and making sense....NOOBS :laugh:

I might get a PS3 now so I can play some of those exclusives I've always wanted too like Killzone, Ratchet and Clank etc.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
You know what you're talking about right? OpenGL is pretty low level. Any lower and you would be designing hardware, not software or at very least, firmware.

Ah yes, allow me to clarify: they will probably use an x86 API as a base, but because they are addressing a standardised set of hardware its inevitable that some developers will communicate straight to the hardware rather than through an API (at least for some functions).

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
they will probably use an x86 API as a base

x86 is not an API, it is an instruction set and a way of running a CPU. Any CPU has an instruction set.

but because they are addressing a standardised set of hardware its inevitable that some developers will communicate straight to the hardware rather than through an API (at least for some functions).
You don't want to re-invent the wheel every time you want to make a game, that's why these libraries exist. Also if you're working at a low level you're going to be accessing memory directly anyways. Your explanation is vague and confusing. Also your use of certain terms are rather peculiar.

Libraries aren't always to abstract stuff away from the hardware, more often they're made so you don't write the same thing over and over again.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
x86 is not an API, it is an instruction set and a way of running a CPU. Any CPU has an instruction set.

You don't want to re-invent the wheel every time you want to make a game, that's why these libraries exist. Also if you're working at a low level you're going to be accessing memory directly anyways. Your explanation is vague and confusing. Also your use of certain terms are rather peculiar.

Libraries aren't always to abstract stuff away from the hardware, more often they're made so you don't write the same thing over and over again.

My ability to explain something is pretty shit today :eek:

Yes x86 is not an API, what I meant was they are going to use an API as a base (any guess is a good guess for now), but allow direct access towards hardware at times rather than through something like, say, OpenGL. They have done this for Xbox 360 (bypassing the D3D API), but apparently Microsoft wasn't too pleased.

Edit: something like this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-directx-360-performance-blog-entry

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
says the guy with hundreds of games on steam that he never plays :laugh: ;)

lol i am much more selective now. in total truth - i felt really guilty for pirating games when i was poor so i bought all of the ones i pirated plus some more once i finally got a good job. now i can never play them because of that job but hey, it's something.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Sony confirms that the PlayStation 4 won't play PS3 games natively
Legacy compatibility may come in the future through streaming services, however.

Wow if I had a PS3 that would upset me.

Well I'm sorry but those punks will just have to take the hit so We PC Gamers get better console ports. (we've long given up on a dedicated PC game industry) The AMD apu design likely makes backwards compatibility improbable. However that same design will likely make for much better ports with much better graphics.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
The WiiU's success, with adding another device laying around, having to plug in and charge, etc, doesn't matter to most users. WiiU is still sold out regularly locally.

What in heavens name are you talking about? The Wii U is a phenomenal failure thus far. They have almost no exclusives to speak of, and the games in development that were praised have since either been cancelled, or expanded to other platforms (Rayman was a huge one). It has sold less units total than the Playstation Vita, and was outsold in January by the Xbox 360 at a rate of 5 to 1. I'd imagine anywhere that you see it sold out probably just moved them elsewhere to clear up space for products that actually sell, or you happen to live in the one place where people want that hunk of crap.

If the Playstation 4 and Xbox 720 are going to be x86-based, that further screws the Wii U by the way. It means this time next year when all three systems are out, developers are going to sit down and ask if they really want to have a team to build the Wii U version of the PowerPC-based console with (so far) depressingly low sales numbers and software attachment rates (worse than the GC and Wii so far) or if they'd be better off skipping it entirely.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I don't know if this has been talked about, but this paragraph from an Ars Technica article is pretty interesting, and something I have not thought about:

The upshot is that there's a fair amount of CPU performance here—nothing record-breaking, but more than enough to work with. But it does mean that developers who want to take full advantage of the PS4's CPU are going to have to optimize their games to be heavily multithreaded. Sony's development tools will probably help developers do this, and taking advantage of eight x86 cores is still likely to be less difficult than developing for the complicated Cell processor (note that one of Sony's refrains at last night's unveiling was all about ease-of-use for developers). Still, it's an interesting move, given that most games on x86 PCs still benefit more from a few very fast CPU cores rather than many slower cores.

So, could this mean we get better ports? Because that system is basicly a medium/low-range gaming PC with lots of threads.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
I don't know if this has been talked about, but this paragraph from an Ars Technica article is pretty interesting, and something I have not thought about:

So, could this mean we get better ports? Because that system is basicly a medium/low-range gaming PC with lots of threads.

They will make them heavily threaded and they will be coded natively to optimize x86 instruction sets, which means ports will be infinitely better in terms of performance. If the Xbox 720 is in fact using an AMD CPU as well, I expect performance in PC games that are multi-platform to be substantially better.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
What in heavens name are you talking about? The Wii U is a phenomenal failure thus far. They have almost no exclusives to speak of, and the games in development that were praised have since either been cancelled, or expanded to other platforms (Rayman was a huge one). It has sold less units total than the Playstation Vita, and was outsold in January by the Xbox 360 at a rate of 5 to 1. I'd imagine anywhere that you see it sold out probably just moved them elsewhere to clear up space for products that actually sell, or you happen to live in the one place where people want that hunk of crap.

If the Playstation 4 and Xbox 720 are going to be x86-based, that further screws the Wii U by the way. It means this time next year when all three systems are out, developers are going to sit down and ask if they really want to have a team to build the Wii U version of the PowerPC-based console with (so far) depressingly low sales numbers and software attachment rates (worse than the GC and Wii so far) or if they'd be better off skipping it entirely.

lack of advertising likely to blame for poor january sales in the US. Nice try with the selective numbers tho. The wiiU sold 890,000 units over the holidays in the US alone. Its sold over 3 million units in less than 3 months. It's not at the original Wii sales, but its not tanking either.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
lack of advertising likely to blame for poor january sales in the US. Nice try with the selective numbers tho. The wiiU sold 890,000 units over the holidays in the US alone. Its sold over 3 million units in less than 3 months. It's not at the original Wii sales, but its not tanking either.

The console launched 4 months ago, and most of the sales were in the holiday season--January is the first non-holiday month of sale, and it posted horribly poor numbers. basically it sold just under 3m over 2 months, and has stagnated. According to VGChartz the PS Vita by comparison has sold 4.1m units to date--which Nintendo is on the path to--and is widely considered a huge failure.

There's also the problem of Software Attachment, check out the Software Sales numbers for the Wii U. Notice anything? Nobody is buying games. Lets check out how they are selling as of last week tracked (actually two weeks ago). A whole two games in the top 100. For a system that came out 3 months ago. That is terrible.

I'm not cherry picking the numbers, the system is really doing that badly.

I live in Canada, and we make up just a small part of those numbers, so the situation here is not accurately reflected by numbers like those.

It's probably a supply issue, Nintendo is huge on artificially limiting supply to make it look as though their system is in crazy demand. They probably tried funneling shipments into areas where the system actually sold well and cutting off low sales zones. I find it hard to believe that anywhere people are stilling fighting to find Wii U's since I have seen a dozen or so in every major retailer around here since the new year.