1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

why am I always downloading???

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by DEFEATEST, Jun 13, 2009.

1. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, quick question here. When I view my "bandwidth usage" on my isp's website, it shows that I am still downloading like 300- 700mbs a day and on those days I have downloaded nothing. I mean some days I only check email and a couple of sites and thats it and for some reason something is downloading through my modem. A couple of months ago I had some virus that uses my computer to send out spam or something like that. But I did a complete reinstall and use Bitdefender and it has never caught anything. I'm not nuts right? thats way too much stuff being downloaded when I'm just checking email.

I've put a new password on my wireless secured network, but still the same. Any suggestions or progs that I can run to find out whats going on?

thanks!

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Streaming video will do that.

CyberDruid says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try AdAware and SPyBot Search and Destroy. Sophos is world class antivirus. And there is always that site: HiJack this that might be useful. That's all I can think of at the moment. Sounds like you are seeding a torrent or something...that's a lot for no DL activity.

EDIT

Ahhhhh streaming video :D

Yeah.

4. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    What exactly do you guys mean by streaming video. I know what you mean but what do you mean. That my puter is being used to stream video? I'm not watching streaming movies all or any part of the day...........strange.

5. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well there are advertisements, there are some webpages in my browser that constantly update, refreshing pages can download new things, it can add up a lot...but that much in a day without actually downloading anything is quite a bit...I'd say do the spybot/malwarebytes/adaware scanning (I just do the first 2 anymore...tbh). I watch streaming video all the time, I love Hulu and Netflix streaming, amazing stuff...my poor TV's need to be given to someone that will use them lol!

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Ya I certainly don't watch much streaming vid. I mean my little guy can go youtube happy with barney or something like that, but thats maybe once a week. My web browser is never on unless I'm using it. From my calculations it only takes 5kbs to make 400ish mbs in a 24 hour period right?
    And my isp calculates your usage in 24 hour periods. I'll try the scans, although I do use Bitdefender which has been great so far. It picked up my last bug no probs which was very similar to this one, if that is what this is.

7. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well imo there's definately something that's using it, you're not on wireless are you? Is that the only PC on your calculated ISP used connection? Can you view the IP's to where the bits of data are going and coming from?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Throw up a firewall block or disconnect from your service for a day and see if they still show usage. If they do; call 'em on it and let them help find who is screwing with you.

You got wireless? Look out for the guy down the street.:)

9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A one day a week Barney binge will do that. Figure it's around 100mb's per video.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Ya for sure, but I'm getting this every day no matter if I use my puter or not. Something is going on because my modem lights are blinking like every second.

11. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Is it a wireless modem/router?

12. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    wireless router but the modem is wired. My security is up to date and put new password just to be sure. Still the same. I have a 360 and a laptop hooked up to the wireless. I use the 360 a couple times a week and the laptop for just browsing and the occasional youtube for the little guy. I've been turning the laptop off at night and the onboard wireless off when not using it. And the 360 is always off.

13. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    If it is wireless check out in your modem and see if anyone else is using by checking out client list if theres addresses other than yours then theres your culprit.

Edit: Just noticed your post maybe the little ones using it more than you think. =/

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    install netlimiter. the 30 day trial will give you enough time.

The program is better than everything else, in that it measures bandwidth per program - internet and local. every other progra i've tried measures the PC as a total (not per program) and confuses LAN and internet traffic.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    my router is wireless but my modem is not. Is there someting I can check on my router then?
    you can't "check out " your modem can you?

My little guy only uses youtube when we do it for him, he's to small to do it himself. And I dont even count those days. Where this is all coming from is the days I know for certain that all I have done is check email and read the morning news, and I'm still "downloading" 300- 700 mbs in one 24 hour period according to my isp. They are starting to charge now for everything ove 60gb a month. so at these rates I could be losing 15 gig or so to this "leaking"

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thats why i suggest netlimiter. you'll know if its coming from your PC or not, as well as what programs doing it, if its from your machine.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like the router is being highjacked. When I enabled my Router's wireless capability I've had 1 PC/Laptop found within the range guess its one of the neighbor's I couldn't enter it tho it has password protection.

18. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Ya but my router is pwrd protected and I just changed the pword like a week ago and to no avail. I know there is quite a few wireless networks in my neighbor hood, but mine is secure as far as I know.

19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i feel ignored :( netlimitaaaar.

It could be antivirus updates, windows updates, a virus, installed toolbars updating their poopy adblockers, things like that. you need to narrow down what PC is doing it, and then what programs on that PC.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. cool_recep

cool_recep

Thanks Received:
    If you use WEP, it can be cracked in 60 seconds. You gotta use WPA2 with more than 15 chars of pass.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thats true. i'm a retard when it comes to linux, and i managed to crack a friends WEP in about 2 hours on my pentium 3 laptop.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really?:laugh:
    I wanna try...:p

23. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    I am using wpa2 with a long password. I will try netlimitar I guess. Thanks for all your help guys, I will let you know what happens.

24. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    What i meant before was check in your wireless routers stettings and see if anyone else is using ur router if there nis more then one address then that might be the cause. If you go into your router by puting in the number for it 192 something (it will be in the routers documentation) and look for wireless clients or something like that.

And Mussels we cant help but ignore you lol j/k.