• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why aren't there any AGP cards ?

RCpilot

Hi all.

I just had to order a new motherboard with my newly ordered Connect3D GTO.

What pi**es me off is, I was quite happy with my ASUS P4P800 AGP board.

I have really tried to find an AGP GTO card, but the ones listed are more expensive and not in stock.:banghead:

The 423 ATI core on the Connect3D is, I believe, an AGP part. So why the XXX aren't there an AGP version for all us with AGP? After all, there is a very large installed base of AGP motherboards. But no, let's put on a bridge chip and make people buy new motherboards.

Has anyone a sensible explanation to the absence of AGP ATI cards?

Cheers
Erik

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
RCpilot said:
But no, let's put on a bridge chip and make people buy new motherboards.

Your answer is right there... it's a money grab if you ask me. There is nothing wrong with 8X AGP. A 16X PCI-E offers no performance advantage of 8X unless you do some very heavy professional video editing.

See, by making all the new cards PCI-E, people have to switch over their motherboard, and sometimes even their CPU, very convent if you ask me. SLI and Crossfire use PCI-E, and they are becoming more popular, and there is more supported cards coming out for them. So they make them in PCI-E.

It is the new standard now though, and we will all have to switch eventually. Another thing is too, most AGP motherboards are starting to get out dated, and it's very rare that a new AGP board is made. Last one I seen was the DFI lanparty NF3 Ultra-D that I have. All new baords are now PCI-E, so AGP will soon be phased out completly.

-Dan

djbbenn said:
Your answer is right there... it's a money grab if you ask me. There is nothing wrong with 8X AGP. A 16X PCI-E offers no performance advantage of 8X unless you do some very heavy professional video editing.
PCI-E is 2X the speed of AGP
The Series 7 cards wouldn't be able to work full potential on a AGP board due to the bottle neck of its AGP and cpu limits

¿?

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
There are very few boards yet that run 16X in a SLI configuration, yet the cards do not suffer from lack of bandwidth running at a 8X configuation. Its the CPU limitation, also the fact that you can't get the 7800 series on AGP, beacuse Nvidia said they wouldn't produce it. I'm sure that the extra lanes in the PCI-E will help though.

-Dan

peta01

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (OC 2500 MHz)
Motherboard Abit AN8 Ultra - passive northbridge cooling via heatpipe
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 48 (almost 1 kg of copper :) )
Memory 1GB RAM (2x512 DDR, CL2, running at 137 MHz)
Video Card(s) Sapphire X800GTO2 (510/585, 16p) AC ATI Silencer
Storage 320 GB Seagate, 200 GB Western Digital, 120 GB Seagate
Display(s) LG 22" LCD Panel
Case Chieftec blue bigtower with additional cooling
Audio Device(s) AC97 raiser card on mainboard
Power Supply Chieftec 360W
Software WinXP SP2, sometimes Vista Ultimate x64
ssnke said:
PCI-E is 2X the speed of AGP
The Series 7 cards wouldn't be able to work full potential on a AGP board due to the bottle neck of its AGP and cpu limits

¿?

This is not true. Even APG 4x is absolutelty enough for the new cards.