• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why bother to crunch??

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Because of this!!! :rockout:

Malignant melanoma is considered to be the most dangerous type of skin cancer. A genetically targeted drug now promises to slow the progress.

Those diagnosed with advanced melanoma usually die within a year. New hope for patients lies on a brand new drug which prevents the mutated B-RAF gene from generating cancerous cell growth. This very fact promises to be a breakthrough in skin cancer therapy.

A study published last week in Nature and the New England Journal of Medicine describes the structure of this experimental new drug PLX 4032 developed by the US biotechnology company Plexxikon based in Berkeley, California.

It is still so new that it does not have a proper name yet. However, a BBC blogger asks already confidently if this might be “cancer’s penicillin moment”.

The number of those tested is small, and the trials of the drug are still in phase one. Nevertheless, 24 out of 32 participants could reduce the size of their tumours by 30 percent. In two people the tumour even disappeared entirely.

This means, a former incurable disease form turns out to be curable thanks to great new insight in gene sequencing which allows to compare healthy and diseased cells.

This new insight in genetics might indeed create “cancer’s penicillin moment” to be used also for other forms of cancer therapy.

Source

:respect:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
But did Crunching have any influence on this breakthrough?

System Name AMD FX
Processor AMD FX 8350 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB Corsair Vegance 1866
Video Card(s) AMD HD7970 Gigabyte
Storage Sandisk Extreme SSD, 500gb SG Sata
Display(s) Samsung 2333sw
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
no drug company would ever admit that.

imagine drug company cures cancer with army of home computers, they couldnt then say its so expensive to buy because of research costs. penicillin would never be cheap if it hadnt been found years ago before big corporations (drug dealers) and then given to the world. a cure for cancer will come in the way of a 5-6 tablet cocktail that needs to be taken for afew years.

i saw on television not long ago a university discovered eating i believe large amounts of crest really helped, when cancer research instantly said no way. even tho the university had proof.