• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why Bulldozer's spotty performance is good news.

Here's an interesting post from Overclock.net. It gives some perspective.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/1141188-asus-crosshair-v-formula-board-may-11.html#post15299874

Thanks I edifyied that post. Since Gigabyte counts parallel processing even for VRMs. ASUs' 8+2 = gigabyte 16+4. . :)

I recently reviewed the 990FX UD5 and the intersil chip it uses for VRM distribution is only a 6 phase parallel processing unit. (IE high end)

Funny the Chinese site calls it a 10 phase, but its not its 6 phases parallel. Providing 5*2 phases for cpu and 1*2 pahses for nb.

I get where they are wrong, the nomenclature is close, but intersil does not make a 10 phase VRM

Last edited:
System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
Why? You quoted some random guy with no idea as a reliable source...

I'm scratching my head here.
I quoted someone who put up an interesting perspective on the situation. I made no claim about his veracity or expertise. I quoted a comment...
You on the other hand are looking for an argument with someone, preferably someone who will take the exact opposite viewpoint to you.
Unfortunately, I can't give that you, because I agree with you, in general, about BD.
I'm sorry, but who cares how Opterons have done in the past, AMD does not have a large share of the server and workstation markets... I point you back to your statement regarding AMD vs Intel resources. I don't even need to reference anything to know I'm right, and no one else here needs those references either.
AMD wants server market share, yes. Will they get much more of it? Maybe, if Interlagos turns out to be something special. A whole lot more of it? Doubtful.

Anything an executive says, to media, or even much of what they say to shareholders, is marketing bull@#$@. No point being bitter about that kind of stuff. That's the way things are.

I think you missed out on the fanboy rage exchanges. You should have been here a couple of weeks ago, you would have enjoyed yourself with them.

Let's see fanboy accusation list, what have people accused me of?
Intel fanboy? check.
AMD fanboy? check.
Next on the list NV and Radeon fanboy badges, then I think I'll try for mobo company fan badges...
This could be fun...

J

John Doe

All in all it seems to me that AMD remains the cheaper, less yet still quite fast performance option. And hell, you can still overclock any AMD chip... I expect to see lots of us here at TPU buying lower class BD chips and making them fly faster than the fastest stock BD chip... and the fastest stock Intel chip. That's still crazy performance.

They don't unlock now, do they? :D The Phenom X4 gave solid performance, especially in games considering it's price. Once AMD matures their chips, yeah. Until then, I doubt those on the higher-end side would pick BD over SB. Unless they're a fanboy of course... :laugh:

I agree that AMD rocks, but guys lets stop the animosity. (wow did I just say that?) I am having a hard time reading the facts from the love/hate relationship.

Here is my animosity:

You know what I think is stupid? SLI on AMD. F*bomb on nVidia and their crappy ass products that cant even game on one screen and play HD video on another. like my 6850 can. Its why my 580GTX sits idle until I need to bench or revie wsomething. Why? Cuz that is ALL nVidia is good for.

There you go, hate message for you that is gauranteed to drop some bombs. It happens to be fact too. But nVidia fans will argue that no gamer would have an HD video playing on a second monitor. (I RTS/RPG slow type games ;) )

DX11 breaks on both cards BTW... not sure why yet. Still 6870 in my gamer 580 sits on shelf. (both 580s)

EDIT: only reason I upgrade from 6850 to 6870 was the heatpiped heatsink, 6850 is getting reused dont you fret :)

EDIT EDIT: Sorry, got so caught up in this stuff.

J

John Doe

You know what I think is stupid? SLI on AMD.

Uhm, yeah. That's why I had a pair of 480's on a Crosshair 2 yet it kicked S775 ass. Both the 780a and 980a (which is a rebadged 780) were good chips without the issues of S775 SLi systems. They were rare and made a good combo.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I would, because it would be cheaper and still hellishly fast, even at stock, but we can overclock any BD chip. The current 6 core BD model is $190, a bit cheaper than the $220 Intel wants for the 2500k, with two more cores to spare... making it a bit less helpless in heavily multithreaded apps, although it would still lag behind in most things. Then you can overclock the 6 core BD beyond stock 2500k performance... of course then you could clock the 2500k to outclass the overclocked BD, but even though the 2500k is faster, the BD is still pretty damn fast, and cheaper, factoring overall system cost in.

The point I'm making is AMD is slower and cheaper, although slower doesn't really matter because even the slower performance is still pretty fast. In short, nothing really changed... I pretty much expected BD to turn out like this.

I wonder why AMD hasn't put a similar feature to Intel's turbo boost in BD, though. This makes me wonder about the overclockability of BD...

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
exactly!! even i dont know why but intels dont feel as fast in everyday application.

What the eternal heck are you guys on? This makes no sense, and it is not true.

J

John Doe

My point was nvidia sucked and you just named another reason. 780 to 980 chipsets.

thanks.

I was actually only referring to nVidia GFX and their inability to multimon well but that is a great point, they sucked at chipsets too for the most part (NF4 rocked) oh and NF200 snicker snicker

So that makes them "suck"? I had HD 4870 CrossFire and it was garbage. Such a driver nightmare. Before 2010, there was no application profiles so CrossFire was a PITA. It usually didn't work, even when it did, you had to force it by changing the application name, which kicked you out of Steam servers. Ever since X1950 cards, ATi (AMD) either lacked on GPU power or drivers.

I would, because it would be cheaper and still hellishly fast, even at stock, but we can overclock any BD chip. The current 6 core BD model is $190, a bit cheaper than the $220 Intel wants for the 2500k, with two more cores to spare... making it a bit less helpless in heavily multithreaded apps, although it would still lag behind in most things. Then you can overclock the 6 core BD beyond stock 2500k performance... of course then you could clock the 2500k to outclass the overclocked BD, but even though the 2500k is faster, the BD is still pretty damn fast, and cheaper, factoring overall system cost in.

The point I'm making is AMD is slower and cheaper, although slower doesn't really matter because even the slower performance is still pretty fast. In short, nothing really changed... I pretty much expected BD to turn out like this.

I wonder why AMD hasn't put a similar feature to Intel's turbo boost in BD, though. This makes me wonder about the overclockability of BD...

Um AMD did put turbo boost in.

Also 6 core BD = 3 core phenom 2 with hyperthreading, but a better version of hyperthreading.

I do agree with the "slower" does not matter with more cores. Or slower overall if BD has hte same desktop feel phenthub and zosma had.

(have not actually used zosma just guesstimating)

BD requires to much power and has a lower IPC than thub/zos extensions are great, Intel lives on them, but generally not supported on AMD , lets face it., Where is hte AMD multicore optimizer download?

EDIT: Why talk about the 6 (lol) core Bulldozer when the 8 (lol) core only meets the 2500k intel processor?

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
When I see on Newegg's spec list Multi-Core: Six-Core, I'm led to believe it actually has 6 cores... not that it's a 3 core with hyperthreading. Either someone's spewing bullshit about BD, or AMD's being really misleading with their spec sheets. Where can I read in detail about this supposed hyperthreading that's going on here? I don't see anything about any kind of turbo boost anything on Newegg's spec page for the BD chips either... you'd think whoever's in charge of that would be making damn sure that they're blowing their marketing horn about having that feature.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
So that makes them "suck"? I had HD 4870 CrossFire and it was garbage. Such a driver nightmare. Before 2010, there was no application profiles so CrossFire was a PITA. It usually didn't work, even when it did, you had to force it by changing the application name, which kicked you out of Steam servers. Ever since X1950 cards, ATi (AMD) either lacked on GPU power or drivers.

They only time they lacked in power was probably the HD2xxx series. Drivers I can agree with though. I'm willing to put up with it though as they has always offered the best price/performance ratio and that's what I'm after.

System Name SolarwindMobile
Processor AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Memory 2 x 8GB SK Hynix/HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
Video Card(s) ATI/AMD Radeon R7 Series (Bristol Ridge FP4) [ACER]
Storage TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB + KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3128GG2 128 GB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2401 SERIES
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC255
Power Supply PANASONIC AS16A5K
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 3
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1607, Build 14393.969)

Opinions?

I LOL'ed hard when I saw this okay

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
amd make a mistake by launching this chip too soon as almost no soft is capable to use all cores and the new added instruction;this chip will become obsolete till we'll have majority of daily used programs/new games, will be able to use dozer at full capacity so i think is a good product but arrived in the wrong market and time;they should focus on quads and improve them or create something what the market demand;now they just show "we can do it we launched the 1st 8 core desktop CPU" and... so what? not average joe buyer will ask himself :can i use it fully? nope;when can i use it? ...after 3-5 years...;than why to invest in it? just to have it?

someone at amd has taken a v.bad marketing decision by forcing this chip and this will affect them

scooper22

Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX (uv, oc)
Motherboard 90-MXGIP0-A0UAYZ
Cooling VENOMOUS-X + TR-FDB-12-600 + PLPS
Memory F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2
Video Card(s) 21188-00-40R + DCACO-V3400-BLA01 (uv, unlock)
Storage WD10EALS-00Z8A0 + 4044951000029
Display(s) VM633AT
Case FT02B-W
Audio Device(s) SB0090, ALC892
Power Supply BN162
When I see on Newegg's spec list Multi-Core: Six-Core, I'm led to believe it actually has 6 cores... not that it's a 3 core with hyperthreading. Either someone's spewing bullshit about BD, or AMD's being really misleading with their spec sheets. Where can I read in detail about this supposed hyperthreading that's going on here? I don't see anything about any kind of turbo boost anything on Newegg's spec page for the BD chips either... you'd think whoever's in charge of that would be making damn sure that they're blowing their marketing horn about having that feature.

BD FX-6xxx is:
- a 6-core integer/fp128
- a 3-core fp256
at the same time.

as long fp256-ops are somewhat sparse and integer/fp128 are the majority of all ops I think it is fully legitime to call it a six-core as six fully independent threads can be processed. So 6 threads run in parallel (6T) on six cores (6C).

4C/8T Hyper-Threading (Intel only) is a FOUR-core where every core can hold two threads. These are however not processed at the same time. Therefore it's a four-core (4C) with eight threads (8T) where half of them is stalled at all times. This is a true 4-core.

Schematics of one BD-module (FX-6xxx has three of these, FX-8xxxx four):

Last edited:
J

John Doe

Opinions?

I LOL'ed hard when I saw this okay

lol. That's PassMark, right? IIRC, they use some sort of browser tests and stuff to come up with that score... it's nonsense, not a real benchmark at all.

System Name Gamers PC
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.80 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
Cooling Corsair H50 Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA300 w/64MB Buffer (RAID 0)
Display(s) Samsung 2494SW 1080p 24" WS LCD HD
Case CM HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI TITANIUM -PCIE x 1
Power Supply Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX (650W)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
amd make a mistake by launching this chip too soon as almost no soft is capable to use all cores and the new added instruction;this chip will become obsolete till we'll have majority of daily used programs/new games, will be able to use dozer at full capacity so i think is a good product but arrived in the wrong market and time;they should focus on quads and improve them or create something what the market demand;now they just show "we can do it we launched the 1st 8 core desktop CPU" and... so what? not average joe buyer will ask himself :can i use it fully? nope;when can i use it? ...after 3-5 years...;than why to invest in it? just to have it?

someone at amd has taken a v.bad marketing decision by forcing this chip and this will affect them
AMD had no choice but to launch. It was the massive rumours that made Bulldozer seem like a killer CPU.

I don't see why people don't put aside its performance right now and look at the design as Pure Innovation on AMD part. They did something unique and completely different, and hopefully in time this will pay dividends.

With enough tweaking, cache latency timing fixes and the like, the upcoming Piledriver should look and feel like a monster in performance. Mark my words, Piledriver won't be no slouch. Hopefully by then MS will patch Win 7.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Interesting, though it does feel like beating a dead horse over and over again. :nutkick: :D :)
Hopefully Piledriver will be tweaked and fixed in time for an aggressive Q1 2012 release on the Socket AM3+ platform. I expect at least a 35% to 50% performance boost in Multi-Threading performance and a 10% to 15% performance boost in Single Threaded Performance.

Bulldozer currently suffers from various issues including but not limited to Branch Prediction, Pipeline Flushing, Cache Trashing, Decode unit not wide enough and so on. If and when AMD fixes this, Bulldozer should have the ability to Bulldoze aas it was meant to do.

That said, most of those review sites which rated Bulldozer low did not perform proper testing. What I mean is they did not perform proper Format of the Harddrive, did not Install a fresh copy of Win 7 x64, did not have the right motherboard bios update etc.

In order to determine the proper speed and performace of a new CPU especially Bulldozer being completely build from the ground up, all above factors should have been meet and they were not.

Check out Bulldozer's Benchmarks via Rage3D, Hardware Heaven, Hardocp and Overclockers.com where they followed the proper practice for testing hardware. Bulldozer performed quite well, though it could have been better, it stood its ground.

That said, I give AMD 5*****'s for Pure Innovation, now FIX the Bulldozer issues and release Piledriver Thank YOu.......

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Not at all true.

The rumor mill, based on a BIOS paper for motherboard makers shows a B3 revision, and the site assumes they "(if the do)" fix the scheduling issues. The B3 could be lower power parts due to fixed leakage, they could be lower speed actual die cut 3 module X6 parts, they could be a birthday cake in a box.

Somehow you magically read "it will be fixed"?

What do you smoke so I can get some?

The flaw is in the design, AMD apparently never spent any good time on branch prediction, so they made up for it with a huge cache, that huge cache slowed down the whole chip in speed and sucked up power, that drove the clocks even further down and forced AMD to put a thermal limit on the chips.

It was and has been a horrible event of one failure leading to another failure in design, implementation, and finish. If they started with a known good CPU and asked the simple "what works, and why, what doesn't and why" and came up with the best 10 things they would have a monster, but they didn't. They have a netburst clone.

K8, with higher IPC and die shrinks, microcode updates and even having to run large in place calculations as 2 or 4 clock procedures would be faster for most users.

Look at what Intel did for core. Back to the P III design with the improvements they learned on P4 and branch prediction improvement. If AMD had done this instead of "real men use real cores" we would be looking at this from a whole different angle. Unfortunately AMD got lost somewhere before they bought ATI and haven't been the same since.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Not at all true.

The rumor mill, based on a BIOS paper for motherboard makers shows a B3 revision, and the site assumes they "(if the do)" fix the scheduling issues. The B3 could be lower power parts due to fixed leakage, they could be lower speed actual die cut 3 module X6 parts, they could be a birthday cake in a box.

Somehow you magically read "it will be fixed"?

What do you smoke so I can get some?

The flaw is in the design, AMD apparently never spent any good time on branch prediction, so they made up for it with a huge cache, that huge cache slowed down the whole chip in speed and sucked up power, that drove the clocks even further down and forced AMD to put a thermal limit on the chips.

It was and has been a horrible event of one failure leading to another failure in design, implementation, and finish. If they started with a known good CPU and asked the simple "what works, and why, what doesn't and why" and came up with the best 10 things they would have a monster, but they didn't. They have a netburst clone.

K8, with higher IPC and die shrinks, microcode updates and even having to run large in place calculations as 2 or 4 clock procedures would be faster for most users.

Look at what Intel did for core. Back to the P III design with the improvements they learned on P4 and branch prediction improvement. If AMD had done this instead of "real men use real cores" we would be looking at this from a whole different angle. Unfortunately AMD got lost somewhere before they bought ATI and haven't been the same since.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I was merely posting the fact that a B3 revision will be coming out and the article states that they hope it will provide better performance hence the "fix", fixed being a lose term in where I personally don't define what gets fixed but surly the revision fixes something else why the revision?. Both I and the article remain optimistic in the B3 revision as it is still too soon to same with certainty anything regarding it.

And no I can not provide you with illegal narcotics, sorry.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
^
This B3 stepping stuff is starting to seem more credible.

After many were left disappointed by the performance of AMD's FX-Series processors based on the Bulldozer architecture, the chip maker is now working on a new revision of its CPUs that will carry the B3 stepping.

This information was uncovered by Hardcore-Hardware in a public AMD document entitled “BIOS and Kernel’s Developers Guide (BKDG) for AMD Family 15h Models 00h-0Fh Processors.”

The document included a table that mentioned the current stepping of AMD's Bulldozer processors, but also a new revision of the architecture that was referred to as B3.

Sadly, the report doesn't detail the changes that AMD wants to bring to its chips with the introduction of this new stepping, but users should expect the usual tweaks that deliver slightly improved performance and better energy-efficiency.

This is not the first time that AMD is having troubles with a new processors architecture.

Shortly after the company launched it first quad-core CPUs from the Phenom line, it has been discovered that the chips suffered from a TLB (translation lookaside buffer) flaw which incurred a performance penalty of at least 10%.

These design problems required AMD to build a new chip stepping, known as B3, which arrived about four months after the initial Phenom release.

AMD launched the first FX-Series processors based on the Bulldozer architecture the last week, on October 12, but despite being eagerly awaited by many PC enthusiasts the performance of the chips has disappointed.

In most tests that were run by reviewers, AMD's flagship CPU from the FX-Series lineup, the FX-8150, lagged behind the Intel's Core i5-2500K, a few tests even showing it coming behind a last-gen Phenom II X6 1100T processor.

Right now, no information regarding the release date of the B3 stepping is available, but considering AMD's current position in the CPU market it makes sense for this revision to be placed on top of the company's priority list.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Bulldozer-B3-Revision-Is-in-the-Works-228347.shtml

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
You guys want to buy a AMD Extreme Edition FX? Yeah it still performs slower than the Intel chip running hundreds of Mhz per core slower, but it EXTREME!!!!!

The flaw is the design, the chip, the whole thing.

Our only hope is the learn something from it and perhaps move the best parts to a design that more reflects their K8 designs, with a good fat fast interconnect between cores.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
You guys want to buy a AMD Extreme Edition FX? Yeah it still performs slower than the Intel chip running hundreds of Mhz per core slower, but it EXTREME!!!!!

When you say "you guys" whom is it directed at specifically?

The flaw is the design, the chip, the whole thing.

Our only hope is the learn something from it and perhaps move the best parts to a design that more reflects their K8 designs, with a good fat fast interconnect between cores.

Or software developers can stop being lazy and start writing code to utilise multi core processors in general.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
When you say "you guys" whom is it directed at specifically?

Or software developers can stop being lazy and start writing code to utilise multi core processors in general.
The issue here is some people can't credit where credit is due. Bulldozer may have not been what people expected, but it's in no way a bad design. I've said this once, and I will say it again, AMD has Balls of Iron for creating something completely new and innovative. Now they need to learn from it and make Piledriver better.

It would also help if Developers would start writing code or Multi-Cores that would benefit both AMD and Intel.