• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why Did TPU stop making those news videos?

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
It's honestly surprising to me that people still mention the show.

@xkm1948 As cool as that sounds, I don't think they want me back, to be honest. I don't know.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It would be nice if the review creators like @cadaveca @W1zzard @VSG can team up and provide some neat clips about certain things during their review of products and the editors like @zithe and @Raevenlord combine them together into a nice lengthy weekly review recap.

I'm looking into it, and I am sure the others are too. I think you'll see more video clips in the future inside the written reviews but never full-on video reviews, since written reviews make it easy for users to access any of the info in the review without having to "skip" through the content without any guidance, like a specific install picture, screenshot, or benchmark score. Video just isn't as capable of a resource as written reviews give, and not much will ever change that. Video is easily digested by users on their phones, but even then, so many details are lost because of short-ish attention spans of those that look at video reviews.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Yeah, I add in relevant video clips wherever applicable such as keyboard reviews with software driver overviews and backlighting etc, but those are not narrated and used to add to the written content. I think what he's looking for is video first, and independent over written content.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
What I am looking for is to have you guys talking about the product that you are reviewing. Could be anything. Causal talk and all.

Summary: Just wanna see the reviewers in person. :D

cadaveca

My name is Dave
What I am looking for is to have you guys talking about the product that you are reviewing. Could be anything. Causal talk and all.

Summary: Just wanna see the reviewers in person. :D
LOL.

You can find me in Discord on a daily basis, if all you want is a chat. You will find me in all my honesty and full in on the highly-uncensored depravity there. :p

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I don't ever recall seeing news videos created/posted for TPU, but I'm one that strictly avoids videos. I don't care enough about others to waste my time hearing what they have to spew from their mouths. I don't enjoy watching video feeds when I can easily read through a story and find the info that I need faster then waiting to hear what a person has to say.

If I come across a news story that I might find interesting and there is nothing written and it's some stupid video to watch, I skip right past it. I hear enough noise throughout the day at my job, plus having 2 huskies, 2 kids and a wife....the noise continues at home. I really don't want to watch someone talk about the same thing in a video that's already written out.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Just make sure there is more integration between the technical staff and not so technical staff. This will reduce speculation and increase article accuracy.

What is the process for editing? Do all articles get a non-author proofread before publishing? While nobody is perfect, there tend to be errors in grammar or typos in most any article that wasn't straight copied and pasted from a PR.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Yeah, that's not happening :D

Hehe.

What is the process for editing? Do all articles get a non-author proofread before publishing? While nobody is perfect, there tend to be errors in grammar or typos in most any article that wasn't straight copied and pasted from a PR.

When I was there, we only really proofread after the fact, save for reviews. We were setting up a system to proofread prior to posting when I left though, hopefully unrelated to my performance... o_O

Mind you, we were supposed to proofread our own work before pushing "post", ofcourse...

Last edited:
That's... that is a shocking method for such a large site. There should be some form of proofreading at minimum, fact checking and content editing would be even better, and frankly, expected for a site this size. Bt should proof raeven's and vice versa before publishing. Its not a huge deal, but when the aim is to get to the next level, those things can't be forgotten. :)

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I'm sure @R-T-B and I could get some bangin' good video reviews going. Just gotta look online for a frog and dragon suit combo and get some hardware to review.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
That's... that is a shocking method for such a large site. There should be some form of proofreading at minimum, fact checking and content editing would be even better, and frankly, expected for a site this size. Bt should proof raeven's and vice versa before publishing. Its not a huge deal, but when the aim is to get to the next level, those things can't be forgotten. :)

I think it was growing pains mainly. Like I said W1zzard saw the issue and was working actively to fix it. It wasn't a big deal when two highly skilled people posted news, but then us new bloods came in... :laugh:

I'm sure @R-T-B and I could get some bangin' good video reviews going. Just gotta look online for a frog and dragon suit combo and get some hardware to review.

I'm... not sure what kind of audience that would attract.

Last edited:
Awesome!

It appears it hasn't been implemented and you have been gone for a few months now. I know how long change takes at websites at times.. Just so someone gets a 2nd look at an article before it goes live, it would (should) reduce the few grammar errors/assumptions/etc by working with the technical staff and have someone else look over articles before publishing. :)

Hell, I'd do it (until I go internal where I'm at now... :)).

System Name Is rly gud
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Software Windows 10
Just make sure there is more integration between the technical staff and not so technical staff. This will reduce speculation and increase article accuracy.

With the videos at least, @W1zzard would give me feedback upon upload. Sometimes I'd have to go back and fix a few things, or I'd make a silly mistake and need to add annotations.

Once approved, @btarunr would give it a short write up and put it on the front page.

One of them would tell me what topics should be included that week. Eventually I got pretty good at picking that stuff out. (If its amd, intel, or nvidia related, it's usually a popular topic)

Also, sometimes the video was blue. Now I own white balance cards x3

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
@xkm1948 As cool as that sounds, I don't think they want me back, to be honest. I don't know.

I sincerely hope I can someday work in news again but given my last thing I saw in the TPU news-group before being removed from the conversation was "We don't want another RTB" (discussing employees) I may be in the same boat. o_O

So I don't know either. I don't doubt my skills (and you should not either) but sometimes life suckerpunches us, don't take it personally.

It appears it hasn't been implemented and you have been gone for a few months now.

It was in beta phase when I left, albeit optional to use. Are you sure? I'm pretty confident they should have something now.

Now I feel like the neighborhood gossip, lol. Treat me as such.

EDIT: Uh, no, the system is working. Also, @W1zzard, apparently I am still a news editor? I just saw an article up for review.

Since I am unpaid (and not working), maybe we should fix that.

news.png

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I mean ANY TPU based hardware causal talks would be way better than probably 80% of the junks floating around YouTube.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I mean ANY TPU based hardware causal talks would be way better than probably 80% of the junks floating around YouTube.
You are not being ignored on this subject. ;)

Since I am unpaid (and not working), maybe we should fix that.

Last thing I remember, you was running for the door
You had to find the passage back to the place you was before.
"Relax" said the W1zzard, "We are programmed to receive. You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!"

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Last thing I remember, you was running for the door
You had to find the passage back to the place you was before.
"Relax" said the W1zzard, "We are programmed to receive. You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!"

Hey, if you guys are open to it, I'll apply again when life settles... If it settles... lol.

In the meantime, you always have frogman.

(and yes, I got the Hotel California reference...)

Hotel-TPU...

Such a lovely place, such a lovely place...

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I sincerely hope I can someday work in news again but given my last thing I saw in the TPU news-group before being removed from the conversation was "We don't want another RTB" (discussing employees) I may be in the same boat. o_O

So I don't know either. I don't doubt my skills (and you should not either) but sometimes life suckerpunches us, don't take it personally.

lol that "We don't want another RTB" was related to having to find another news guy again, and the channel itself changed to accommodate new blood. Don't worry about that :D

Speaking of which though, notice a new name in the news section? A permanent addition to the news staff is going to happen sooner than later. Doesn't mean you can't still apply whenever you are ready.

Awesome!

It appears it hasn't been implemented and you have been gone for a few months now. I know how long change takes at websites at times.. Just so someone gets a 2nd look at an article before it goes live, it would (should) reduce the few grammar errors/assumptions/etc by working with the technical staff and have someone else look over articles before publishing. :)

Hell, I'd do it (until I go internal where I'm at now... :)).

It does happen more often than not now, but yeah there's still scope for improvement.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Speaking of which though, notice a new name in the news section? A permanent addition to the news staff is going to happen sooner than later. Doesn't mean you can't still apply whenever you are ready.

Oh I know. I don't want to be dishonest though, it'd be very awkward for me to try to work right now.

Some day maybe, we'll see. I'm not going to apply in a half-assed work condition again though.

lol that "We don't want another RTB" was related to having to find another news guy again, and the channel itself changed to accommodate new blood. Don't worry about that :D

I figured as much but you can't help but wonder... lol.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
A podcast would have to have someone like @cadaveca being the host with different guests. I doubt he would be up for it but, I feel it would take someone like him with the knowledge and a personality to make tech talk interesting. Of course I would cameo to give you all more reason to hate me.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
That sounds like a nice idea :)

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
podcasts are so 2005 tho

again ill reiterate tpu is large enough where it should have some kind of youtube presence

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
again ill reiterate tpu is large enough where it should have some kind of youtube presence
1st problem: Find someone who can do it
2nd problem: Make it a success
3rd problem: Ensure successful YT presenter now doesn't walk away from TPU to make his own channel and rake in the $$

System Name Is rly gud
Software Windows 10
The problem is it's easy to burn out, because in the beginning they still have to work their day jobs to get by, but push to get the videos done with the hopes of it someday getting big.

I think TPU definitely has that potential. It needs time to build and find itself though, and maybe to pursue sponsorships and such to help support the person doing it.