• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why did we abandon hydrogen cars so quickly?

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
It's a bit offtopic, but yes it's insane how easy it easy to make some promesses and get billions on the market, stock or private investors, without selling a single car, without making a single car.

Tesla is way overvalued, the last customer satisfaction numbers put them at the end of the pack. Rivian barely made a sale and is already worth millions. Lucian i think not a single sale. Insane

Ford is doing things right and no one seems to care

They are far, far ahead in terms of platform, motor, and packaging and lessons learned from ICE tech don't really apply. That and they are building the dedicated factories in the EU and China.

What? Like brakes and suspension?

Once we leave the drive-train, all of a sudden Tesla is in a disadvantage. All the other car makers know how to make the dumb stuff more cheaply and effectively than Tesla does.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502

Once we leave the drive-train, all of a sudden Tesla is in a disadvantage. All the other car makers know how to make the dumb stuff more cheaply and effectively than Tesla does.

i don't follow you on that, Tesla doesn't actually have to do much, there are hundreds of companies that work for the auto industry that do 90% of the car, you just have to make the body, framework, paint. Build a jit model and decide out to get the car to the client and service it.
True that Tesla doesn't even do that right with all the panel misalignment problems. But that is easily fixed.

i don't follow you on that, Tesla doesn't actually have to do much, there are hundred companies that work for the auto industry that do 90% of the car, you just have to make the body, framework, paint. Build a jit model and decide out to get the car to the client and service it.
True that Tesla doesn't even do that right with all the panel misalignment problems. But that is easily fixed.

These are simple brakes and suspension issues that other car makers have largely figured out. Tesla is running into issues despite making fewer than 300,000 cars/year. This is the easy part, Tesla haven't even scaled up yet and are already running into quality-control issues.

Spoiler alert: Suspensions are very difficult systems to model, test, design and deploy. So are braking systems. And finally, its hard to mass produce these systems with high quality. Having a VIP-customer like Mena Massoud have his freaking wheel fall off the suspension is NOT a good look for the company.

"Wompy Wheels" turns into a huge amount of news reports, demonstrating that Mr. Massoud is far from alone on this problem.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
These are simple brakes and suspension issues that other car makers have largely figured out. Tesla is running into issues despite making fewer than 300,000 cars/year. This is the easy part, Tesla haven't even scaled up yet and are already running into quality-control issues.

Spoiler alert: Suspensions are very difficult systems to model, test, design and deploy. So are braking systems. And finally, its hard to mass produce these systems with high quality. Having a VIP-customer like Mena Massoud have his freaking wheel fall off the suspension is NOT a good look for the company.

"Wompy Wheels" turns into a huge amount of news reports, demonstrating that Mr. Massoud is far from alone on this problem.

This is offtopic, but you're mixing up everything. Every car manufacturer runs into issues and recalls, quiet a lot actually. But i do agree they are not the best at their job. Still those are the easiest things to overcome, i'm not saying they aren't major flaws, just that they can easily overcome that, it's not technological challenges. They already done the hard part, building the jit, managed to get the cars to the clients in a way no one could before, etc...

Once you remove the engine block, everyone can make a decent car. Like i said 90% (maybe an exageration i don't have the exact number but it isn't far off) of the car is not made by whoever puts the badge on it.

Last edited:

No, the motor, battery management, cooling, that is all significant factors in a EV and thats where they are miles ahead. They are also making huge strides in the structure of the vehicle itself that nobody else till now has attempted on a large scale, Tesla's Switch to Giga Press Die Castings for Model 3 Eliminates 370 Parts. That puts them at a huge advantage over all the legacy OEMs in terms of designing and packing an EV druvetrain as you can't just catch up overnight. Combine that with all the inherent structural, weight, cost, time advantages with their casting technology and they have a pretty big lead over everyone.

The big OEMs have had decades to get that process right, Tesla is still going through growing pains of scaling. That and Tesla is constantly iterating changes during production so yeah, you aren't exactly producing a consistent product. The only Tesla that I'd ever consider because of that is the Model 3 or Y but that has nothing to do with Tesla's technology, manufacturing techniques, and outlook as company.

Last edited:
They are also making huge strides in the structure of the vehicle itself that nobody else till now has attempted on a large scale, Tesla's Switch to Giga Press Die Castings for Model 3 Eliminates 370 Parts

That machine needs to stop catching on fire first if you actually expect it to do any work.

------

More seriously: we can look at vehicles as Tesla sells them. There's no "unibody" models being sold anywhere. The entire die-casting machine is a marketing stunt. Pure and simple. It doesn't matter that it catches on fire often because its not really doing any real work.

The fact that the machine there is built outside the factory is proof of that. No one seriously expects consistently in die-stamping to be done in an uncontrolled, outdoor environment full of dust, pollen, the elements and uncontrolled humidity / temperatures.

System Name C30 w.2x E2650L v2; T5500 w.2x X5670;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
Weight is a BIG issue for planes, less so for boats and trains
Thinking of keeping hydrogen in sealed steel cages. That is so 20 century!

Future is somewhere, more intelligent in a management way.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Impreza is a compact Sedan though. It seats 5 but your rear passengers will feel bunched up.

Honda Clarity is +4 inches wider and +20 inches longer. Cars of this size normally cost in the $22,000ish range. So $25,000ish for PHEV (After the $7500 credit is factored in) is a bit of a premium, but the gasoline savings will almost certainly win over in the long run.

That's why I liked Honda Clarity PHEV and GM Volt PHEVs. They actually were cost-effective at their jobs.

E85 is too expensive in the USA. I have a flex-fuel vehicle, so I can use both E85 and E15 gasoline. E85 gives me ~220 miles of range, while E15 gives me 330 miles of range.

So I lose well over 30% of my range, meaning E85 needs to be 30% cheaper before I seriously consider it as a daily fuel source. Unfortunately, E85 is maybe 10% cheaper at best than regular gasoline.

Damn here they went and upped the ethanol in normal fuel to ~9%. This explains why i have been getting poorer mileage in my vehicle than before :(

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Damn here they went and upped the ethanol in normal fuel to ~9%. This explains why i have been getting poorer mileage in my vehicle than before :(

yep everyone in the world has moved to 9-10% ethanol in gas. and yes it does give lower gas mileage, not to mention we only have about 60 years of good topsoil left for crops, so wasting any of that nutrient rich soil on corn... is probably a huge mistake.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Interstellar. Great film.

But seriously, it is known that industrial scale farming is having a negative effect on topsoil quality.

Don't know about specific metrics for quality deprivation or timescales. But historically, farmers knew to rotate crops and let the land recover (in Scotland in old times we had the runrig system). Modern commercial farming is very nutrient intensive.

Edit: It's like most resources, modern humans tend to take a lot from the earth without considering the geological and lengthy processes that put them there.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
There is artificial ways to enrich the soil, or we would never get the same crop year after year from the same soil. In large scale farming no one rotates crops or leaves fields to rest one season, that's something from the last century.
It sure isn't ideal, brings lots of other problems, but it isn't exactly that big a problem that in 60 years no one could farm or anything like that.

System Name C30 w.2x E2650L v2; T5500 w.2x X5670;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
& you can get ethanol from any kind of sugar reach plant or source...so ethanol is not only "plant based", but can be also got from other sources.

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro
also where did this plane get its hydrogen fuel... see lot of questions here not a lot of answers... main thing is would it scale to be cost efficient?
They built their own infrastructure as did the Australian's you mentioned. To build an on-site infrastructure compared to scaling it nationally is astronomical.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Impreza is a compact Sedan though. It seats 5 but your rear passengers will feel bunched up.

Honda Clarity is +4 inches wider and +20 inches longer. Cars of this size normally cost in the $22,000ish range. So $25,000ish for PHEV (After the $7500 credit is factored in) is a bit of a premium, but the gasoline savings will almost certainly win over in the long run.

That's why I liked Honda Clarity PHEV and GM Volt PHEVs. They actually were cost-effective at their jobs.

E85 is too expensive in the USA. I have a flex-fuel vehicle, so I can use both E85 and E15 gasoline. E85 gives me ~220 miles of range, while E15 gives me 330 miles of range.

So I lose well over 30% of my range, meaning E85 needs to be 30% cheaper before I seriously consider it as a daily fuel source. Unfortunately, E85 is maybe 10% cheaper at best than regular gasoline.
That “credit” isn’t free, we are all paying taxes to pay for it.

Electric or hybrid make sense only with a nuclear base load, right now we are burning more natural gas to offset the difference from “renewable” than they will ever save.

Interstellar. Great film.

But seriously, it is known that industrial scale farming is having a negative effect on topsoil quality.

Don't know about specific metrics for quality deprivation or timescales. But historically, farmers knew to rotate crops and let the land recover (in Scotland in old times we had the runrig system). Modern commercial farming is very nutrient intensive.

Edit: It's like most resources, modern humans tend to take a lot from the earth without considering the geological and lengthy processes that put them there.
I can chime in on this, the issue is the removal of organic matter, already in most of the arid parts of the world where cereal crops are grown a “fallow” year is common. Removing the straw and lack of nutrient management is the issue, but most farmers fail when they engage in shitty farming, subsidies exist for advanced farming to encourage better practices and most are from companies they sell to, not for tax payers. Example, Molson Coors pays more for barley that can be traced to its source and for using the correct amount of fertilizer at the right time, with the correct hybrid of seed, and better farming practices.

Interstellar was a great film, however the autonomy was wrong for machines (20 plus years in the field(s)).

they also don’t harvest green corn with a combine like that.

Last edited:
Electric or hybrid make sense only with a nuclear base load, right now we are burning more natural gas to offset the difference from “renewable” than they will ever save.

Electric engines are much more efficient though, and Natural Gas turbines are also much more efficient due to size.

ICE engines are maybe 30% efficient (taking 30% of the power in gasoline and using it for motion, and then turning 70% of the power into heat). You can notice this by just feeling the hot exhaust on your car.

There are 50%+ efficient natural gas turbines (https://www.ipieca.org/resources/en...-heat-generation/combined-cycle-gas-turbines/). Electric engines are 80% efficient, and maybe you have 10% transmission loss, but when all is said and done, you are still using far less carbon-emissions from electric than you are from gasoline / ICE.

So even if you've got natural gas powered electricity, you've still got a net-benefit from gasoline. Heck, the consistent torque / RPM curves on PHEV vehicles also take advantage of this and start reaching absurdly efficient ICE-designs thanks to hybrid technology.

-------

As for me personally, I'm solar powered thanks to community solar. You can rent out solar panels these days on some field somewhere, and use the grid to transfer those panels to your house without ever building solar panels on your house now.

Its like all the benefits of solar power, with none of the hassle of actually building it myself, dealing with contractors, or worrying about the quality of the roof / storms / etc. etc.

Current FCEV tanks are made from carbon fiber. They are lighter and insanely tough.

The future though would be some sort of low pressure solid state storage.

And yet they still only get 15 years of lifetime before you drop 10k per-tank to replace it; the Fuel Cells also have to get replaced around the same time.

Solid-state storage is like trying to get an overly-excited dog to sit - nearly impossible, as there are not too many materials that can hold energetic H2. And currently (20 years into research) they're nowhere near high PSI tank storage!

And, I'm sure that (like everything H2 touches), these things will still need to be replaced just-as-often as a BEV's battery, at much higher cost!

Even Toyota has all-but abandoned the Mirai

Last edited:
And yet they still only get 15 years of lifetime before you drop 10k per-tank to replace it; the Fuel Cells also have to get replaced around the same time.

Hyundai XCIENT just beat the Tesla-semi to market dude. But in any case, Li-ion traditionally only had 2-years of useful life. (See any decent cell-phone battery). I'm not convinced that its safe for Li-ion to be on the roads for so long actually.

There seems to be benefits to H2 on the larger vehicles. Mirai might have just been too small to be practical. I dunno.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Even Toyota has all-but abandoned the Mirai

True that Toyota abandoned the Mirai but not hydrogen, they are actually betting more on it then before. But also doing EV's.

Hyundai XCIENT just beat the Tesla-semi to market dude. But in any case, Li-ion traditionally only had 2-years of useful life. (See any decent cell-phone battery). I'm not convinced that its safe for Li-ion to be on the roads for so long actually.

There seems to be benefits to H2 on the larger vehicles. Mirai might have just been too small to be practical. I dunno.

And? Being first in modern times to field a BEV didn' win any points for GMC

Just because you're first doesn't mean you will automatically be profitable; you need to sell tens of thousands of fuel cells a year before the build costs of these plastic sandwiches falls below 10k,

Oh, and, Bomby569, you obviously bought the Bull, with a hydrogen-powered concept car that will never again be sold here in the US (that gives it a very small market , with just a few places outside US West Coast and Japan have enough H2 infrastructure to support it)

Face it dude, H2 is dead in cars, and this Yaris concept one will be Japan-only!

Last edited:
Just because you're first doesn't mean you will automatically be profitable.

Except we're seeing Japan, Korea, and China all bet on H2 in substantial levels.

Sure, USA is making a different bet, but... its not like those countries are bad an engineering either. There comes a point where its important to reflect upon what others are doing, and wonder if they're onto something.

Look, I don't know the future. I don't know if H2 will work or not. But there are some smart people in smart companies who think H2 will work. I wouldn't count it out yet.

------

If we look at the math and costs behind H2, there seem to be some substantial advantages to fuel cells, electrolysis, and other such technologies behind H2. USA has a lot of engineering talent, money, and entrepreneurs. I'm more than willing to support an experimental H2 group to try things out domestically. If it works out, great. If not, we probably learned a lot from it.

I'm not seeing why H2 is destined to failure yet. There's significant weight advantages, as well as storage / distribution advantages, to the methodology.

If we look at the math and costs behind H2, there seem to be some substantial advantages to fuel cells, electrolysis, and other such technologies behind H2. USA has a lot of engineering talent, money, and entrepreneurs. I'm more than willing to support an experimental H2 group to try things out domestically. If it works out, great. If not, we probably learned a lot from it.

Because the best-case efficiency of H20 to H2 is 70% (using expensive catalysts), plus the efficiency of that Fuel Cell is only 50%. Add in the losses to transport H2 from a big electrolysis factory to your local gas station (15% higher losses than just sending it over power lines), and you get a final efficiency of around 30%

I'm not seeing why H2 is destined to failure yet. There's significant weight advantages, as well as storage / distribution advantages, to the methodology.

Cause you choose to disbelieve reality. Over-and--over again!

!. There is no weight advantage, because the steel carbon-fiber reinforced fuel tanks weigh as much as Lithium ION battery packs.
2. There is no distribution advantage, because there is no real H2-rated gaspipelines infrastructure already built in the US - we already have a proven efficient electric grid.

Last edited: