• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why did we abandon hydrogen cars so quickly?

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Because forcing people in a text-based forum to watch a 16-minute video to know what you're talking about is a bit of a hurdle to your argument. If there was something worthwhile to say, I think you'd be able to say it with your own words (or maybe find an article to copy/paste your point from).

I've "omni-slashed" youtube videos before and have provided counter-points with references. But... its really not worth the effort IMO. Switching between text-based and video-based arguments is a massive pain in the ass.

I do appreciate your discussion points on the 2010 Olympics.

Video wasn't my post, but fair point. Basically, lack of H2 stations (really makes me wonder honestly how exactly Toyota thought it was a good idea to push the car in the US before infrastructure reached an acceptable level), cost of filling up with H2, lack of performance, current methods for creating H2, and the success of EVs.

I agree on the idea of PHEVs but they seem to have missed their right time to make a move. If people want simplicity and $ they just keep buying ICE, if they wanna cut down on gas costs they buy a normal hybrid, if they want to make an environmental statement or really hate the gas station (basically me) they go and buy an EV. The PHEV Rav4 costs like $13,000 more compared to the regular Rav4 hybrid that gets better mileage.

But you do get full EV incentive amount on some PHEVs, and that EV sticker so you can take the carpool lane, though - our traffic always sucks. That seems a bit morally questionable to me though, why allow PHEVs to reap the EV benefits outside of promoting adoption? They are only really somewhat cleaner than ICE vehicles in practice, they aren't any cleaner than conventional hybrids, all they offer is a bit more range for that occasional road trip.

But you do get full EV incentive amount on some PHEVs, and that EV sticker so you can take the carpool lane, though - our traffic always sucks. That seems a bit morally questionable to me though, why allow PHEVs to reap the EV benefits outside of promoting adoption? They are only really somewhat cleaner than ICE vehicles in practice, they aren't any cleaner than conventional hybrids, all they offer is a bit more range for that occasional road trip.

A PHEV with 20-miles range would be sufficient at removing over 95% of my gasoline per year. That's 20-miles of range when I leave my house, then 20-miles of range from my workplace (8-hours of charging at a 220V charger), every day. The gasoline usage would still tick up: PHEVs need to run some gasoline every now and then to keep the hybrid-engine lubricated. But we're looking at 500 gallons of fuel (15000 miles @ 30MPG) getting reduced to maybe 50 gallons / year. Over 10 years, I'm probably looking at only using 500 gallons total.

Just some napkin math with round numbers. But we can see that ICE == 5000 gallons used. PHEV == 500 gallons (rest is electric). And Electric is 0-gallons, but 100% electric. Conventional Hybrid has no ability to plug-in to the grid but maybe runs at 40MPG or 50MPG. So your 150000 mile lifetime turns into 3333 gallons used over the lifetime. Better than ICE, but no where close to PHEV.

Is the literal 1-ton battery under a pure-EV really worth saving ~500 gallons of fuel over the lifetime of a car? I doubt it. Those rare-earth metals and the Lithium-Ion battery manufacturing process is extremely dirty.

--------

Conventional Hybrid doesn't have a plug-in capability. While our electric-grids remain coal / natural gas based, there's been a large push towards green sources of energy (Nuclear, Solar, Wind, and Hydro). Therefore, the Hybrid-vehicles will be all gasoline while PHEV will get more-and-more efficient as we electrify our grids.

if batteries don't advance fast enough I could see hydrogen taking over with the growth of nuclear power. though it looks like solid state batteries in development already have some nice specs. still I could see EVs having bad resale value on the used market just because people want to avoid taking out loans to buy batteries.

It was certainly combusted at one point. :p

I mean, re your points, you aren't wrong but in conventional speak that's not enough pressure to be considered "pressurized."
It required pressure above and beyond atmospheric to inflate the gas bladders that held the H gas. The gas bladders themselves became pressurized because they supported the entire weight of the Hindenburg! As Newton once said for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The gas bladders and thus the H gas itself was applying a force greater than gravity to the Hindenburg. The gas bladders must have deformed under that force and pressurized the H gas within.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
if batteries don't advance fast enough I could see hydrogen taking over with the growth of nuclear power. though it looks like solid state batteries in development already have some nice specs. still I could see EVs having bad resale value on the used market just because people want to avoid taking out loans to buy batteries.

yep if Bill Gates ever gets his new ideas for a new nuclear plant implemented, or fusion has more breakthroughs (its had several in last few years)... its very possible electricity usage won't matter anymore, in which case hydrogen fleets make sense for everyone in every sector and the planet is transformed overnight -

big IF on the fusion, bill gates new plant designs actually uses the old nuclear waste as more fuel... so... it does seem promising at least.

problem with renewable energy, wind, solar, etc is they still require large banks of lithium battery for storage. nuclear does not.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
It required pressure above and beyond atmospheric to inflate the gas bladders that held the H gas. The gas bladders themselves became pressurized because they supported the entire weight of the Hindenburg! As Newton once said for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The gas bladders and thus the H gas itself was applying a force greater than gravity to the Hindenburg. The gas bladders must have deformed under that force and pressurized the H gas within.
So I ended up falling back on Wikipedia for this info, but for dirigibles like the Hindenburg, the bladders can't inflate past atmospheric pressure or they'll rupture. They're underfilled at launch to allow for inflation at altitude. Lighter-than-air craft rely on buoyancy, not pressure, to fly. When you add pressure (and by extension density), you reduce effective lift.

Blimps, however, do operate at slightly-higher-than atmospheric pressure to keep the bladders in shape, since there's no rigid skeleton like in a dirigible.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
You need to look at energy return. For example,

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
yep if Bill Gates ever gets his new ideas for a new nuclear plant implemented, or fusion has more breakthroughs (its had several in last few years)... its very possible electricity usage won't matter anymore, in which case hydrogen fleets make sense for everyone in every sector and the planet is transformed overnight -

Nuclear is already prepping for a comeback, right now it's the perception issue that still plagues them as SMR and micro SMR designs are demolishing the second hurdle, the high initial cost to bringing a plant online.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

big IF on the fusion, bill gates new plant designs actually uses the old nuclear waste as more fuel... so... it does seem promising at least.

problem with renewable energy, wind, solar, etc is they still require large banks of lithium battery for storage. nuclear does not.

Nuclear is our only viable option, if we subsidized it as much as we do other forms of energy we would have clean energy that was affordable enough to heat/cool homes with, cook, clean, drive, for 90 percent of the US population.

Hydrogen still requires immense energy input for low output, and has issues with high pressure storage, more dangerous to transport efficiently. If we used electrolyte based water splitting we would still end up with some very dangerous by products, copper chloride from breakdown of the copper and salt.

Hydrogen is a poor fuel choice, figuring out battery tech that is more stable, charges faster, and lasts longer is a better option. Quick charge capacitors with current output limiting circuits.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Keyboard Logitech G410
Nuclear is our only viable option, if we subsidized it as much as we do other forms of energy we would have clean energy that was affordable enough to heat/cool homes with, cook, clean, drive, for 90 percent of the US population.

Hydrogen still requires immense energy input for low output, and has issues with high pressure storage, more dangerous to transport efficiently. If we used electrolyte based water splitting we would still end up with some very dangerous by products, copper chloride from breakdown of the copper and salt.

Hydrogen is a poor fuel choice, figuring out battery tech that is more stable, charges faster, and lasts longer is a better option. Quick charge capacitors with current output limiting circuits.

You're kind of comparing two hypotheticals. Figuring out a better, cleaner battery system is proving just as non-trivial as cleaner H2 production.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
One battery can last 200,000 mi; the pollution of production and disposal is spread over a lot of miles.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
You're kind of comparing two hypotheticals. Figuring out a better, cleaner battery system is proving just as non-trivial as cleaner H2 production.
Except we have the infrastructure for electrical and battery production, but little for hydrogen production, transport or storage.

Hydrogen doesn’t provide a solution to heating and cooling, stable electrical production but instead requires that solution to already exist, and the biggest issue is still that you cannot get more energy out of a system than you put in, so Hydrogen will be a order more inefficient at the very best.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Keyboard Logitech G410
Except we have the infrastructure for electrical and battery production, but little for hydrogen production, transport or storage.

Hydrogen doesn’t provide a solution to heating and cooling, stable electrical production but instead requires that solution to already exist, and the biggest issue is still that you cannot get more energy out of a system than you put in, so Hydrogen will be a order more inefficient at the very best.

This is all true. There's tradeoffs for everything. I'm going to try to summarize the pro/con list as I see it for the three players here.

ICE: Fuel is currently abundant/inexpensive, easy to transport and store, and is extremely well-developed technically and infrastructure-wise. CO2, other pollutants and long-term supply are its primary downsides.

Battery electric: Technology and infrastructure is well-developed, for the most part. Energy density has gotten to an acceptable point. Costs are currently higher than ICE, but not insurmountably so. Negatives: cradle-to-grave battery production is not as environmentally-friendly as we'd like. Supply of important elements is limited, and will only tighten as electric vehicle production expands. Large infrastructure investment required to handle additional grid load.

H2 electric: Assuming electrolysis, fuel is endlessly recyclable: 2(H20) -> 2(H2)+1(O2) -> 2(H2O). Good energy density and powertrain efficiency. Definitely the biggest list of challenges. Production is the most energy-negative, infrastructure basically doesn't exist, all methods of production have troublesome byproducts, tech not as well-developed as others.

As much as it pains me as a motorhead, ICE is an eventual dead-end, whether for practical or political reasons. Maybe not in our lifetime, but it's coming. Truly "eco-friendly" battery electric will depend on expansion of renewables/nuclear plus development of more favorable battery tech. The former is achievable, the latter may not be. It definitely won't be easy. Hydrogen... there's just so much to overcome. A page on the U.S. DoE website (that I forgot to bookmark) notes that H2 infrastructure could resemble that of natural gas, particularly with some storage methods that don't rely on high compression. It wouldn't solve the massive amounts of additional electricity we'd need to generate, but the eventual load on the grid could be lower than with battery electric. A side benefit the same page mentioned that I hadn't thought of was load-balancing: generation could be used for H2 production during low-demand periods, increasing system efficiency. Not much of a mitigation, granted, but everything helps. And in a solar/nuclear future, maybe the extra energy input isn't as big a stumbling block as it seems.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

Space Lynx

Astronaut

welp. apparently I am not the only one who thinks hydrogen is not dead just yet. USA investing in RnD on it, UK and other countries already working heavily on it.

Germany has a hydrogen train up and running already too. wow neat

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Nuclear is fine, just build us some Vaults here and there prior to mass consumerism with it ;) And hire Musk to make sure all the waste ends up on Mars.

Last I heard they wanted to mine crypto with nuclear. That's where excess energy will go, I guess. Nuke em all. That said I do agree with you. I think nuclear should be pushed a lot more especially in development. There are big possibilities there, at least to shift away from fossil.

Renewable I think is still the only way forward, but it comes with a culture shift where you seek efficiency before expansion of capacity and even reduction before both. A big issue with renewables, mostly, is that they take craploads of space. Space we don't have, the world is overcrowded and ecobalance is at odds with solar and wind farms. Public health just as well. The noise from wind turbines can be sickening. But there are only a few places in the world actually where square miles are not at a premium, and those places are usually suboptimal or too remote for transport. An energy demand that keeps rising while the net gain per square mile compared to coal is negligible is not going to cover it either.

Look at us humans, we're better at exponential growth than Covid, except on a somewhat longer time scale. It can't keep going like that, and there is no historical precedent either. Anyone saying its fine, is deluded - other systems in the world are also deteriorating exponentially...

I think the bottom line is, its really irrelevant what powers our driving, we're too many drivers.

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I thought actual hydrogen production was cost and environmental effects deficient ie makes it pointless much like the TCO costs of electric cars.

We need better answers, less misdirection etc.

Public transport doesn't account for much of total emissions, creating products , generating power and global product transportation are where we should be working to limit emissions and also.

The whole thing of building consumer throw away items needs to stop where reasonably possible.

Less moved around a lot before hitting landfill via Amazon warehouse might help more.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
H2 has Good energy density by weight. Terrible energy density by volume. Volume matters, and is the biggest issue with H2.
That makes no sense. Energy density is, by definition, energy per unit volume. Energy per unit of mass is specific energy, not energy density. Also weight != mass.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

Lockheed Martin said about 7 years ago that they would have a fusion reactor within 10 years. I haven't seen anything more on the progress but fusion is definitely the future of electricity generation if they can pull it off.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
because oil companies are richer than the people who want something else.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

welp. apparently I am not the only one who thinks hydrogen is not dead just yet. USA investing in RnD on it, UK and other countries already working heavily on it.

Germany has a hydrogen train up and running already too. wow neat
Hydrogen heated homes under development in the UK.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Hydrogen heated homes under development in the UK.

Hydrogen seems to be the future of the UK, and geographically speaking they are the right size and shape for that kind of distribution network too.

Thanks for sharing that, very interesting. I believe the first hydrogen plane that flew was also in the UK. They seem to be going all in with hydrogen over there.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
There was a guy in Japan years ago that created an engine that literally ran off of water.
Part of the process involved ceramic "Plugs" that were heated to a very high temp and when the water was injected, it contacted the plugs, exploded/burned like gas and the engine ran.

It's a similar effect when you have molten metal and it comes in contact with water - If you are ever in a foundry and water comes in contact with the metal it will cause an explosion, if enough of both comes together you'd better RUN and hope you're fast enough.
Nuclear melt down comes to mind