• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why did we abandon hydrogen cars so quickly?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1

Interesting article here, this makes a lot of sense for hydrogen.
The article says:
Of course, the hydrogen has to come from somewhere, which is why Anglo American will make it on-site using a 3.5 MW electrolyzer, with electricity coming from a 100 MW solar array. When fully operational, it should be capable of producing up to a metric ton of hydrogen a day.
Unless it's being done under high heat and high pressure like those that use waste heat from nuclear plants, it's bound to not be that efficient. This is the way to do it though, using some renewable source to create the H2. Photovoltaic solar is probably better for something like pumped storage though as there fewer losses compared to run of the mill electrolysis. Something like nuclear power is probably the best way to electrolyze water to make H2 because the reactor provides both the electricity to run the electrolyzer, but also the heat to improve efficiency (it also doesn't stop when the sun goes down.) For those that don't know, electrolysis is fairly efficient at really high temperatures and pressures and reduces the amount of power needed to produce H2. This is not anywhere near STP or what you would encounter in nature on Earth though, hence nuclear being a good choice.

With that said though, something like a combo of photovoltaic and thermal solar could have a similar result in theory, but it doesn't sound like that's what this company is planning on doing since parabolic mirrors that move with the sun tend to cost more than stationary panels do. I'm still not sold on the idea that hydrogen is a good way to store energy. Even if we do manage to produce it efficently at scale without breaking the bank, there are a lot of safety considerations with hydrogen considering how volatile and reactive it is.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The article says:

Unless it's being done under high heat and high pressure like those that use waste heat from nuclear plants, it's bound to not be that efficient. This is the way to do it though, using some renewable source to create the H2. Photovoltaic solar is probably better for something like pumped storage though as there fewer losses compared to run of the mill electrolysis. Something like nuclear power is probably the best way to electrolyze water to make H2 because the reactor provides both the electricity to run the electrolyzer, but also the heat to improve efficiency (it also doesn't stop when the sun goes down.) For those that don't know, electrolysis is fairly efficient at really high temperatures and pressures and reduces the amount of power needed to produce H2. This is not anywhere near STP or what you would encounter in nature on Earth though, hence nuclear being a good choice.

With that said though, something like a combo of photovoltaic and thermal solar could have a similar result in theory, but it doesn't sound like that's what this company is planning on doing since parabolic mirrors that move with the sun tend to cost more than stationary panels do. I'm still not sold on the idea that hydrogen is a good way to store energy. Even if we do manage to produce it efficently at scale without breaking the bank, there are a lot of safety considerations with hydrogen considering how volatile and reactive it is.

yeah that is what I mean, it is great for unique type of vehicles in certain work situations. i don't think it will ever be scaled for everyone, but like you know, take the Nevada Lithium locations where the big mines are there for that mineral, Nevada is perfect for another situation like this, some massive solar farms, and some giant ass hydrogen miner trucks

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
yeah that is what I mean, it is great for unique type of vehicles in certain work situations. i don't think it will ever be scaled for everyone, but like you know, take the Nevada Lithium locations where the big mines are there for that mineral, Nevada is perfect for another situation like this, some massive solar farms, and some giant ass hydrogen miner trucks
A hydrogen leak in a confined area like a mine scares the hell out of me. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Regardless of the use case, hydrogen is an extremely dangerous substance that needs to be handled with extreme care.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
A hydrogen leak in a confined area like a mine scares the hell out of me. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Regardless of the use case, hydrogen is an extremely dangerous substance that needs to be handled with extreme care.

When I look at these giant trucks doing giant mining sites, they really don't drive into "cave like" areas, these trucks are too big for that, the ones from the South Africa article I linked anyway.

I am sure they know it is dangerous in South Africa too and take precautions, its massive amounts of money invested, so I am sure they have massive amounts of protocols too... unlike BP offshore oil drilling anyway... :roll:

Processor 3900X 4.425
Motherboard X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Galahad 360 push-pull
Memory 2x16gb Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 3060 Ti OC
Storage Optane 280gb PCI-E
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Mouse Pulsar Xlite wireless white
Keyboard Leopold FC980C 30g white
Software Win 10 Pro
Hydrogen does make more sense towards big rigs than cars (not in for having a huge tank and conversion equipment in car). Though, like when nearly every truck is rocking diesel... and the other bits such as carrying of hydrogen with diesel trucks added in... it still isn't implemented all properly, even in trucks. Nikola was a cool idea but not a lot came out of it in the recent years. To be honest though, hydrogen is nowhere to be as commonly found down the tanks as diesel... so yeah. Maybe in the future, since price of diesel is not exactly cheap.

DOA

I am not sure where the size vehicle will favor hydrogen, maybe trains and bigger?

If it's at all possible to use electricity directly (or batteries) you have about a 40% efficiency advantage. The electricity - hydrogen - electricity cycle just cannot be made very efficient. But hydrogen does store well and scales to larger sizes.

If it's at all possible to use electricity directly (or batteries) you have about a 40% efficiency advantage. The electricity - hydrogen - electricity cycle just cannot be made very efficient. But hydrogen does store well and scales to larger sizes.

Why not? NiMH batteries are literally the electricity - hydrogen - electricity conversion for example and modern NiMH are in excess of 90% efficient charge/discharge.

--------

Now instead of storing Hydrogen in Nickel or other metals, you bulk-store hydrogen in a pressurized canister, so that you can add/remove energy to portable applications. Bam, you have fuel cells.

All of these forms of energy are related to each other. Its just physics and chemistry.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Let us not confuse terminology

Fuel cell - Wikipedia
A fuel cell is an electrochemical cell that converts the chemical energy of a fuel (often hydrogen) and an oxidizing agent (often oxygen[1]) into electricity through a pair of redox reactions.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
hydrogen does store well
No it doesn't. You need to be very careful to make sure the tanks don't become brittle due to the reactive nature of hydrogen. It's not like storing other fuels because not only is it very dangerous if there is a leak, it reacts with a heck of a lot more things than other fuels. So the difficulty of storing it safely is actually a relatively hard problem.

Memory 16GB DDR3
I seem to recall that hydrogen can slowly leak through steel (the hydrogen atom being so small).

Let us not confuse terminology

Fuel cell - Wikipedia
A fuel cell is an electrochemical cell that converts the chemical energy of a fuel (often hydrogen) and an oxidizing agent (often oxygen[1]) into electricity through a pair of redox reactions.

What is there to be confused?

Hydrogen stores chemical energy. Inside of a NiMH battery, the Hydrogen is released on anode, travels to the Cathode where it is stored. And the process is then reversed.

In Fuel Cells, the source of hydrogen is external. In NiMH, the hydrogen is internal and transfers between two different sides. Otherwise, its the same element / molecule that's performing the energy storage.

In life itself, Hydrogen is still the source of energy storage, its just being trapped in the Carbon element (aka: Hydrocarbons). Those hydrocarbons can turn into ethanol or even synthetic gasoline with the right processes. All of this technology is related. The ultimate goal is to try to find a technology that uses Hydrogen's energy-storage potential and wraps it up into an easy-to-use package.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Inside of a NiMH battery, the Hydrogen is released on anode, travels to the Cathode where it is stored.
NiMH does not utilize elemental hydrogen, it's hydroxide ions that are involved in that reaction.

Processor 3900X 4.425
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Software Win 10 Pro
Let's be real here, though... hydrogen tanks are just Shrek in size, lol. Battery technology, on the other hand, is consistently improving. Samsung developed fully charging ones that do themselves in some 15-20 minutes... couple years back. Nowadays with some cars moving towards alternative batteries than Li-On, things will certainly lead towards pure electric. Like no brainer.

Memory 16GB DDR3
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Battery technology, on the other hand, is consistently improving.
What isn't improving is their weight, having to haul around half a ton worth of batteries in a regular sized car is and will always be inefficient. Not to mention that this makes EVs effectively worthless for heavy duty transport when half your payload will have to be batteries alone.

Processor 3900X 4.425
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Power Supply AX1500i
Software Win 10 Pro
What isn't improving is their weight, having to haul around half a ton worth of batteries in a regular sized car is and will always be inefficient. Not to mention that this makes EVs effectively worthless for heavy duty transport when half your payload will have to be batteries alone.

That's because companies are doing the lazy by stacking loads of li-on which is old tech. If you look at the early Mercedes EQC battery configuration, you could see a massive luggage sized, 384-cell li-po or something. It was impressive especially for an SUV.

A lot of Chinese EVs are coming out, and many Tesla's are still floating with a huge rack of li-on underneath. Korean companies like Hyundai are just using li-on as well.

Things will probably change down the years when you get the more advanced batteries with faster chargers.

Memory 16GB DDR3
Is heating the limiting factor for fast charging?

Processor 3900X 4.425
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Power Supply AX1500i
Software Win 10 Pro
It's more of not having the uber fast chargers usually available, that's the issue. Outside of Tesla, in the U.S you're bound to using slower chargers with other electricity companies. It's like that in other regions too, say you live in a 3rd world country, you'll be putting it to some charger down the mall and spending time while it's charged.

DOA

"Why not? NiMH batteries are literally the electricity - hydrogen - electricity conversion for example and modern NiMH are in excess of 90% efficient charge/discharge."

This thinking is so wrong on so many levels. Battery chemistry and storing hydrogen from electrolysis are not really comparable for efficiency. Batteries cannot approach large pumped hydro and hydrogen capacity and suffer vampire drain.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I had no idea how bad lead was.... wow... just finished this new video from Veritasium. Highly recommend it... also, in regards to the graph used in that video correlating crime rates to lead usage, I believe I also read somewhere part of the Roman Empire's fall may have been attributed to lead.

Piston engine airplanes need to go to hydrogen asap (I believe UK already had a successful test flight of one recently)... piston still uses lead fuel... :(

interesting read there.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
vampire drain
self-discharge is the proper term for this and NiMH tends to be worse in this respect than a lot of other types of rechargeable batteries.
Piston engine airplanes need to go to hydrogen asap (I believe UK already had a successful test flight of one recently)... piston still uses lead fuel... :(
At least it's low lead in the sense that it's nowhere near how much was used in the past, but you're right. Ultimately to replace it, you need a more cost effective option that also achieves the same anti-knock characteristics since avgas (100LL,) has an octane rating of 100 RON which is higher than your typical unleaded equivalents. There are formulations that can achieve this, but they tend to cost more and nobody likes paying more than they have to (and avgas is pretty expensive.)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I had no idea how bad lead was.... wow... just finished this new video from Veritasium. Highly recommend it... also, in regards to the graph used in that video correlating crime rates to lead usage, I believe I also read somewhere part of the Roman Empire's fall may have been attributed to lead.

interesting read there.
Egyptian Pharaohs used lead makeup, romans used lead pipes, america used lead in controlled explosions so they could go fast

When it comes to any technology, even one as simple as commonly used metals - it will take generations of human lives to find the slow-acting harmful ones.
Either it kills you instantly, kills you fast, or kills you over decades - very little isn't harmful.

Egyptian Pharaohs used lead makeup, romans used lead pipes, america used lead in controlled explosions so they could go fast

When it comes to any technology, even one as simple as commonly used metals - it will take generations of human lives to find the slow-acting harmful ones.
Either it kills you instantly, kills you fast, or kills you over decades - very little isn't harmful.

Chinese emperor Qin Shi Huang was told that mercury would grant him immortal life. So he ate a few mercury pills.

There's also a few emperors / kings who loved to show up at parties in asbestos robes. The party trick was to throw the robe into a bonfire, and then pick it up later (as Asbestos has incredible fire-resistance).

Ahhhhh... the joy of luxury items being made out of literal poisons...

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
We have already gone over this before in this discussion, the technology isn't the limiting factor.

The biggest inhibitors for hydrogen vehicles are distribution and infrastructure. For cars the infrastructure is too expensive for the return.

Hydrogen as a fuel for commercial aviation makes more sense than regular consumer motor vehicles.

For commercial aviation, this might be more attainable due to the fact that airports are the refueling stations. It's not like a cross-country flight from LAX to JFK randomly stops in Wichita, KS or Des Moines, IA to take on more fuel, use the restroom and buy some snacks.

That said, there would have to be some sort of agreement between major governments to push for the distribution of hydrogen fuel for aircraft. It's not like a brand-new hydrogen-powered jetliner will fly from LAX to CDG or LHR only to find out that those European airports don't have hydrogen refueling available.

Trust me, I'm not blind to the issues with leaded fuel. There's a push to shut down a local general aviation airport (Reid-Hillview in San Jose, CA) due to lead-related pollution and health hazards due to their continued usage of 100LL avgas. It was built in 1937 when most of the surrounding land was farmland. Population growth pushed development right to the airport's fences. Humans have greater awareness of the dangers of lead today but also we have worsened the situation by developing real estate. If the general aviation industry had adopted hydrogen fuel 20-30 years ago, this particular community conflict might have been moot but here we are in 2022.

Last edited: