• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why did we abandon hydrogen cars so quickly?

infact im even gona waste ur time even more with more bullshit than you can handle
this is your little solar farm looks like. no sun to engergy.
View attachment 287486
this it how it looks like after a heavy storm
View attachment 287487
now whos going to pay for that? where ur going to get power from? dont forget wind turbines burn down. wear down. and can't turn on heavy wind need to be parked..
and all that junk is going to turn up to a landfile....

No government is going to say no to a power source that is effectively limitless, effectively free, and requires zero dependency on other nations.
you said place it in a desert where no one lives. that makes other nations DEPENDENT on OTHER Nations
It will be interesting for the colleague to be hired with a simple hand broom in the desert, sweeping dust and sand all day from the photovoltaics. For a low salary. Would he agree, just to keep his point about how nice it is to be "green" with panels and fins? :)

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
Back to the tpic, here's an article from BMW :
article in French
Quick resume :
In 2022, BMW will release a limited sale of BMW X5 hydrogen based.
The hydrogen strategy will grow in 2025. They will work with Toyota to improve Fuel Cell Motor
cq5dam.resized.img.1680.large.time1631631601096.jpg

Space Lynx

Astronaut
article in French
Quick resume :
The hydrogen strategy will grow in 2025. They will work with Toyota to improve Fuel Cell Motor
View attachment 288369

Interesting, I knew Honda was working with Sony, but didn't know Toyota had teamed up with someone as well.

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Yes, Toyota and BMW are working together on some project, since many years ...
The first Mini (owned by BMW) diesel version had a Toyota motor, the same as the Yaris Diesel.
When the Diesel starts to fade in popularity in EU, and regulation became harder, Toyota didn't introduce new diesel engine. (exept for the Land Cruiser and Hilux)
Instead, they've picked some 2.0 and 1.6 inline 4 from BMW, 112 and 143 hp. You can find them in Avensis, Auris, RAV4 ...
Now, everybody's know that the new Supra is a BMW Z4 clone

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
article in French
Quick resume :
View attachment 288369
This is especially interesting because BMW already has a bunch of electric vehicles on the market. The fact that they're investing in hydrogen anyway says to me that the technology has more meirt than we would believe. :)

This is especially interesting because BMW already has a bunch of electric vehicles on the market. The fact that they're investing in hydrogen anyway says to me that the technology has more meirt than we would believe. :)
Hmmm, I rather suspect that it is about absorbing some unreasonably distributed grant subsidies along the lines of European green policies.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Topic is regarding hydrogen power and its presence or absence in vehicles for the future. If you want to start a thread discussing lithium batteries or anything else unrelated to the OP then go for it.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502

My head is still spinning. Seems like we took a train from London to Paris to get to reach the final destination in Liverpool. just use hydrogen.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

My head is still spinning. Seems like we took a train from London to Paris to get to reach the final destination in Liverpool. just use hydrogen.

I did watch this in full, and i have to say it doesn't make much sense, considering they are making hydrogen at one point of the process... I guess I kind of understand it... maybe if you scaled it up you could make it cheap without needing a whole new car design and living side by side with regular gas. its a neat idea from a strategic perspective, but only if it can be scaled up.

I am kind of with you on this one though, if you are making hydrogen just stop there... already plenty of vehicles use hydrogen including flying planes

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 96GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229

An ex-roomies son is a writer for Donut Media. He really doesn't know much about cars.

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
I think is just a smart move from Porsche, and a way to not loose their customers.
They're saying :
"Don't worry dude, you can still buy new brand 911, and use it in the future, like your old one.
We're working on synthetic fuel, the value of your car won't fall !"

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I think is just a smart move from Porsche, and a way to not loose their customers.
They're saying :
"Don't worry dude, you can still buy new brand 911, and use it in the future, like your old one.
We're working on synthetic fuel, the value of your car won't fall !"

i think that's the problem with most of the car companies, their problem with still needing to sell old tech to survive. Porsche makes a good EV already, they should look into the future, not hold on to the past.
They will never make the final push unless someone forces them to do it.

Just like the with the catalytic converter, as soon as someone puts a barrier in front of them, the "next day" they will solve all these unsolvable problems that stops them from moving away from fossil fuels.
Tesla pushed the EV almost on their own, and we could have hydrogen cars or something else if someone had already forced them to do it.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
i think that's the problem with most of the car companies, their problem with still needing to sell old tech to survive. Porsche makes a good EV already, they should look into the future, not hold on to the past.
They will never make the final push unless someone forces them to do it.

Just like the with the catalytic converter, as soon as someone puts a barrier in front of them, the "next day" they will solve all these unsolvable problems that stops them from moving away from fossil fuels.
Tesla pushed the EV almost on their own, and we could have hydrogen cars or something else if someone had already forced them to do it.

Tesla succeeded in creating a status symbol. The tech was already developed for viable BEVs. One can't as easily say that for hydrogen.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Tesla succeeded in creating a status symbol. The tech was already developed for viable BEVs. One can't as easily say that for hydrogen.

Hydrogen isn't as sexier as ev's, that's the truth. It has problems but so does EV's.
I'm not sure but that big loan Musk got for the US couldn't even be for hydrogen cars, could it? Charging stations is the same, way before Tesla was a thing we already had charging stations for EV's near me, i never seen a hydrogen charging station in the wild myself.

Wasn't the status symbol route the only one to take to be honest? rich educated people with disposable income are more likely to overspend on a new unproven EV. Tesla couldn't compete on low cost, mass market EV's, they didn't have the capacity or even know how to do it. They still struggle with it.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Hydrogen isn't as sexier as ev's, that's the truth. It has problems but so does EV's.
I'm not sure but that big loan Musk got for the US couldn't even be for hydrogen cars, could it? Charging stations is the same, way before Tesla was a thing we already had charging stations for EV's near me, i never seen a hydrogen charging station in the wild myself.

Wasn't the status symbol route the only one to take to be honest? rich educated people with disposable income are more likely to overspend on a new unproven EV. Tesla couldn't compete on low cost, mass market EV's, they didn't have the capacity or even know how to do it. They still struggle with it.
That's the problem with EVs, and that's why alternatives like hydrogen exist and are in development. The masses (myself included) need something that can be manufactured, fueled and serviced cheaply and quickly. I doubt we'll ever be able to say this about battery EVs - good ones, at least. They'll always be a rich kid's toy. In layman's terms: a £35k Tesla that needs a new battery pack every X years will never compete with a £12k Ford Fiesta.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
will never compete with a £12k Ford Fiesta.

this is true, my fiance and I are considering going half in half on a cheap little Kia or Ford that gets about 60 mpg highway (the UK models get about 60 mpg, just fyi for American consumers who eyes might boggle at this number) and they are really cheap to buy. plus we will be able to go everywhere without hindrance or planning charging times, which is a massive bonus. We would never be able to afford going half in half on an EV, and buying new batteries for it in 9 years or so (sooner if its the Nissan Leaf, which I read some batteries needing replaced after 6 years on that)... plus we get limited vacation time... so if we have a 4 day weekend to sight see, we don't want to be wasting any of that time stuck at a charger for 3 hours, when we could fill up for 30 seconds and be on our way.

imo hydrogen is the only way forward. or some kind of universal battery swap system that would take 30 seconds to swap, but I doubt engineers or greedy corporations ever become that innovative in American markets.

Last edited:
System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
this is true, my fiance and I are considering going half in half on a cheap little Kia or Ford that gets about 60 mpg highway (the UK models get about 60 mpg, just fyi for American consumers who eyes might boggle at this number) and they are really cheap to buy. plus we will be able to go everywhere without hindrance or planning charging times, which is a massive bonus. We would never be able to afford going half in half on an EV, and buying new batteries for it in 9 years or so (sooner if its the Nissan Leaf, which I read some batteries needing replaced after 6 years on that)... plus we get limited vacation time... so if we have a 4 day weekend to sight see, we don't want to be wasting any of that time stuck at a charger for 3 hours, when we could fill up for 30 seconds and be on our way.

imo hydrogen is the only way forward. or some kind of universal battery swap system that would take 30 seconds to swap, but I doubt engineers or greedy corporations ever become that innovative in American markets.

This is your thread, but it sounds like you haven't been reading it particularly closely. Hydrogen as an energy source has massive challenges that are non-trivial to overcome, and they all stem from the nature of hydrogen itself: Extremely low density, and extremely high reactivity. We're still on petroleum fuels because they score high where hydrogen scores low: Availability, density and stability.

Availability. While it's getting harder to find and extract as time goes on, petroleum is ultimately just hanging out waiting to be distilled into useful forms, forms it will stay in without much trouble. All H2 is bound to other molecules, and it really doesn't want to let go, and also really wants to hook back up with something as soon as possible (which is of course why FC tech even works). What this means is that we spend a lot more energy per unit of stored energy to produce H2 fuel than petroleum fuel. This is due to the nature of molecular chemistry and, barring a huge shift in our understanding thereof, will not change.

Density. Liquid petroleum fuels have significantly higher recoverable energy per unit mass and volume than H2, even taking combustion losses into account. This could conceivably change with advancement in tech, however.

Stability. Petroleum fuels, while definitely volatile, can be stored and transported easily. You can keep petrol or diesel in a container in your garage at atmospheric pressure. Gaseous fuels like NG require compression for efficient storage, but nowhere near the pressures required to make H2 viable. H2 also wants to bond with everything it touches, so it's not even easy to make a vessel to contain it.

We can hypothetically work around the density and stability problems, but not in an as easy or inexpensive way as you seem to think. It's convenient to blame greed or social inertia (and that's certainly a potential factor), but a guiding principle in my life of late is thus: If a problem hasn't been solved, it's most likely because that problem is really difficult. Hydrogen as a motor vehicle fuel is absolutely one of those problems, if for no other reason than it's devilishly hard to efficiently produce.

Processor AMD R7 1700X @ 4100Mhz
Motherboard MSI B450M MORTAR MAX (MS-7B89)
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory Crucial Technology 16GB DR (DDR4-3600) - C9BLM:045M:E BL16G36C16U4W.M16FE1 X2 @ CL14
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR 8GB @ 1408Mhz (AMD Auto OC)
Storage Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG271 1080p @ 81Hz
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex II 750W 80+ Gold
Keyboard Redragon Devarajas RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Professional 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/mvvj3a
Interesting video I watched a few days ago.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This is your thread, but it sounds like you haven't been reading it particularly closely. Hydrogen as an energy source has massive challenges that are non-trivial to overcome, and they all stem from the nature of hydrogen itself: Extremely low density, and extremely high reactivity. We're still on petroleum fuels because they score high where hydrogen scores low: Availability, density and stability.

Availability. While it's getting harder to find and extract as time goes on, petroleum is ultimately just hanging out waiting to be distilled into useful forms, forms it will stay in without much trouble. All H2 is bound to other molecules, and it really doesn't want to let go, and also really wants to hook back up with something as soon as possible (which is of course why FC tech even works). What this means is that we spend a lot more energy per unit of stored energy to produce H2 fuel than petroleum fuel. This is due to the nature of molecular chemistry and, barring a huge shift in our understanding thereof, will not change.

Density. Liquid petroleum fuels have significantly higher recoverable energy per unit mass and volume than H2, even taking combustion losses into account. This could conceivably change with advancement in tech, however.

Stability. Petroleum fuels, while definitely volatile, can be stored and transported easily. You can keep petrol or diesel in a container in your garage at atmospheric pressure. Gaseous fuels like NG require compression for efficient storage, but nowhere near the pressures required to make H2 viable. H2 also wants to bond with everything it touches, so it's not even easy to make a vessel to contain it.

We can hypothetically work around the density and stability problems, but not in an as easy or inexpensive way as you seem to think. It's convenient to blame greed or social inertia (and that's certainly a potential factor), but a guiding principle in my life of late is thus: If a problem hasn't been solved, it's most likely because that problem is really difficult. Hydrogen as a motor vehicle fuel is absolutely one of those problems, if for no other reason than it's devilishly hard to efficiently produce.

Toyota has already made a vessel to contain, so I don't really understand this. With more and more small nuclear power plants being built, hydrogen will become viable in 10-50 years time, assuming it gets proper funding, which it won't sadly. The energy doesn't matter if we solve the nuclear energy problem, and it does seem like we are getting closer to that.

I am not saying hydrogen tomorrow, but it does seem to be the answer in the end for very long term sustainability.

We're still on petroleum fuels because they score high where hydrogen scores low: Availability, density and stability.

Petroleum is "just" a Hydrocarbon, that is, Carbon + Hydrogen molecule, in various forms.

H2 + CO (Carbon Monoxide), aka SynGas, has been proven to be a stepping stone to a number of synthetic fuels. Of course, any syngas research is dependent upon finding a way to mass produce hydrogen (thereby turning electricity into a fuel).

Its a good tech if we can figure it out... and we _are_ figuring it out right now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_to_liquids#Methanol_to_gasoline_(MTG)_and_methanol_to_olefins

For the most part, the science has been figured out. All of these pathways between Hydrogen, Carbon, and Oxygen, which eventually could lead to
C8H18 (aka: Gasoline), or other fuels. Well... we can actually do this today, but not in a way that's economically viable. So its just engineering + business that needs to be figured out now.

---------

In any case, H2 is the first step that needs to be made. All of these Hydrocarbons require... well... Hydrogen. Carbon can be captured from CO2 (well, once we figure out carbon capture anyway). H2 production must accelerate because its immediately necessary for the creation of Ammonia / aka Fertilizer. So one way or the other, we're running into the Food Crisis and must figure out green H2 synthesis.

Will H2 as a fuel (or fuel-cell / battery thing) be useful? I don't know. But since we're figuring out how to mass produce H2 right now for our crops / fertilizer, we might as well experiment with H2. If it turns out to be a dead end, no biggie. We use H2 + Carbon and proceed to synthetic hydrocarbons / aka Electricity-to-Gasoline kinds of production.

That's really the biggest benefit of H2. Study of Hydrogen is central to all the chemistry of the future anyway, might as well see and experiment with raw H2 and see how far we get.

Software Windows 10 Pro

Sure, hydrogen is difficult, but problems exist so that we can find solutions for them. Hydrogen fuel cell might be one. I haven't read a lot about it, but I've heard it's quite viable with decent range.

Battery EVs on the other hand, will probably never be a mainstream option due to the limitations of battery technology (slow to fuel, expensive to manufacture, has a finite life, etc). For this reason, I'm more optimistic about hydrogen than I am about EVs.

Toyota has already made a vessel to contain, so I don't really understand this. With more and more small nuclear power plants being built, hydrogen will become viable in 10-50 years time, assuming it gets proper funding, which it won't sadly. The energy doesn't matter if we solve the nuclear energy problem, and it does seem like we are getting closer to that.
Even if we solve fusion power, we still need to solve battery technology. Li-ion is not suitable to be used in a car, imo. So again: hydrogen! :)

I am not saying hydrogen tomorrow, but it does seem to be the answer in the end for very long term susustainability.
I agree.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Sure, hydrogen is difficult, but problems exist so that we can find solutions for them. Hydrogen fuel cell might be one. I haven't read a lot about it, but I've heard it's quite viable with decent range.

Battery EVs on the other hand, will probably never be a mainstream option due to the limitations of battery technology (slow to fuel, expensive to manufacture, has a finite life, etc). For this reason, I'm more optimistic about hydrogen than I am about EVs.

Even if we solve fusion power, we still need to solve battery technology. Li-ion is not suitable to be used in a car, imo. So again: hydrogen! :)

I agree.

Hydrogen has more issues than electric storage, current advances in Lithium Iron and fast charge capacitors, plus the whole thermodynamics laws makes hydrogen one step further away from the electrical energy that a battery provides and thus less efficient. Creating hydrogen from electricity, storing it under high pressure and low temperature, fuel cell recreating electricity to then power a vehicle VS Electricity from a stable nuclear base load, solar or wind, direct storage and electricity use. Fewer steps, more efficient.

Hydrogen has more issues than electric storage, current advances in Lithium Iron and fast charge capacitors, plus the whole thermodynamics laws makes hydrogen one step further away from the electrical energy that a battery provides and thus less efficient. Creating hydrogen from electricity, storing it under high pressure and low temperature, fuel cell recreating electricity to then power a vehicle VS Electricity from a stable nuclear base load, solar or wind, direct storage and electricity use. Fewer steps, more efficient.

Hydrogen storage is measured in GW-hrs or even 10s of GW-hrs.

Meanwhile, Li-ion storage is 10x smaller at best. 100MW-hrs, 10MW-hrs, or so. There simply isn't enough Lithium to handle the energy storage costs within a day (+/- 10GW time-delayed over 8 hours or so, for only the state of California. Let alone the rest of the country). Let alone for energy storage costs across a week, or across months.