• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why did we abandon hydrogen cars so quickly?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The more I look at what Toyota has done (and is doing) with a hydrogen powered internal combustion engine even... I just don't get it. I know storage costs of hydrogen are expensive, but if it were scaled up, wouldn't the cost dramatically lower? The Boring Company could dig giant underground storage facilities (its cold as crap if you dig far enough down)... and store the tanks of hydrogen there, and a driver will simply drive down a ramp, get the hydrogen tank replaced, and drive off.

I feel like clean energy with no messy batteries even... is staring us right in the face, why is Toyota taking a risk on it if there is no possible future for it? I don't get it. Someone educate me.

(reason I bring this up is because I was just reading recently how 5% of all electric car batteries are recycled, who knows what happens to rest... not to mention they are not good to begin with...)

If all world governments got on board and were like ok all... we highly miscalculated climate change, things need to change within 5 years... all mass production changed to this hydrogen idea... would it be impossible? Or would it scale?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Just a point, if you dig far enough down, it gets hotter and hotter. We live on the cold bit. But deeper in the crust, it gets super-heated.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Just doing a quick look around I found some definite negatives for using hydrogen as fuel:
  • Investment is Required. ...
  • Cost of Raw Materials. ...
  • Regulatory Issues. ...
  • Overall Cost. ...
  • Hydrogen Storage. ...
  • Infrastructure. ...
  • Highly Flammable.
  • There's virtually no pure hydrogen on Earth because it's so reactive. Most hydrogen is made from methane [natural gas] in a process that produces carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.
The reason we are still using fossil fuels to power our cars is because it's a cheaper and simpler means of energy production. One day when we are running out of cheap fossil fuels that will change. Hopefully at that time Fusion will be cheap enough and simple to use and practical for transportation.

I worked in the gas industry for a few years and hydrogen isn't easy to work with. Obviously it's volatile but the real issue is that you need to store it as a gas at high pressures (2,000 to 10,000 psi). Even when you can design a passenger vehicle with a hydrogen fuel tank that can handle that pressure, you still don't have the same energy density as good old fashioned petrol. That doesn't rule hydrogen out but at least for now it's not quite there in terms of practicality.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Just a point, if you dig far enough down, it gets hotter and hotter. We live on the cold bit. But deeper in the crust, it gets super-heated.

I obviously didn't mean dig that deep... sigh...

Just doing a quick look around I found some definite negatives for using hydrogen as fuel:
  • Investment is Required. ...
  • Cost of Raw Materials. ...
  • Regulatory Issues. ...
  • Overall Cost. ...
  • Hydrogen Storage. ...
  • Infrastructure. ...
  • Highly Flammable.
  • There's virtually no pure hydrogen on Earth because it's so reactive. Most hydrogen is made from methane [natural gas] in a process that produces carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.
The reason we are still using fossil fuels to power our cars is because it's a cheaper and simpler means of energy production. One day when we are running out of cheap fossil fuels that will change. Hopefully at that time Fusion will be cheap enough and simple to use and practical for transportation.

then how has Toyota managed to do it...

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
The largest issue for any alternative fuel (not electric) is infrastructure. There are more gas stations than stars. So building new stations would be troublesome and converting the others a logistical headache (and costly) which means it won't happen until necessary.

Electric cars largely are unaffected by this but suffer from their obviously longer 'refuel' times.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

this answers a lot of questions... but I guess the next question is, how does Toyota do it? and would those costs come down if it were scaled largely... or is there a new way to get hydrogen easier?

also where did this plane get its hydrogen fuel... see lot of questions here not a lot of answers... main thing is would it scale to be cost efficient?

Now I need to know more about this Australian mining company, how did they make the switch to Hydrogen profitable... and is that method scalable.

Maybe we should look at a mix of EV's and Hydrogen's, certain areas that can have that infrastructure of hydrogen get it, and other more dense areas rely on EV's... why can't we all just get along? haha

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I would absolutely support the research on hydro cars. No questions. I have been seeing stuff about them since the early 2000s.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I would absolutely support the research on hydro cars. No questions. I have been seeing stuff about them since the early 2000s.

Toyota is already doing lots of research in it, and Toyota just came out with this recently, a hydrogen combustion engine, no Fuel Cell:

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Toyota is already doing lots of research in it, and Toyota just came out with this recently, a hydrogen combustion engine, no Fuel Cell:

I should say: Support more broad research than and research on how to best implement this shit.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
It's from this series. One of the best sci-fi series ever imo

If you haven't had a chance to watch it then I recommend it.

View attachment 199718

Indubitably

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I just don't get it. I know storage costs of hydrogen are expensive...
Hydrogen is hard to store, it not being easily liquified; electricity is easy to store.

People are working on ways to produce LPG (liquid petroleum gas) which is easy to store.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Hydrogen is hard to store, it not being easily liquified; electricity is easy to store.

Elon Musk's Boring company could make large underground facilites you drive through, changes your hydrogen storage tank, and you drive off, could be instant refueling.

Also, I feel like I am repeating myself... how does Toyota do it... they have active hydrogen fueling stations in California for many years now and expanded it.

Memory 16GB DDR3
changes your hydrogen storage tank
How does that solve the problem? (Hydrogen is hard to store, it not being easily liquified).

And car batteries may be recycled by using them for house electricity storage; what happens is that such batteries lose their power ability, but not so much their energy capacity.

If car batteries are standardized one may also be able to swap one out at the station and drive off.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
How does that solve the problem? (Hydrogen is hard to store, it not being easily liquified).

And car batteries may be recycled by using them for house electricity storage; what happens is that such batteries lose their power ability, but not so much their energy capacity.

If car batteries are standardized one may also be able to swap one out at the station and drive off.

this is what I want to ask Toyota, or that plane maker, or that Australian miner I linked before. how do you do it, and can it scale efficiently in certain geological areas... and are there new methods for creating hydrogen that just aren't advertised as much... where did that plane get it's hydrogen for example... as I said lots of question not many answers, simply interesting to think about. not just dismiss immediately, if Toyota thought it was impossible, hopeless, endless dream - I doubt they would be sinking money into it for this long...

"Currently, globally, it's very hard to get detailed figures for what percentage of lithium-ion batteries are recycled, but the value everyone quotes is about 5%," says Dr Anderson. "In some parts of the world it's considerably less."

So yeah batteries are pretty bad for the environment, EV isn't a savior just yet... not until we figure out this problem which we haven't... not to mention the mining of Nickel and Iron isn't exactly good either...

what if instead of just dismissing hydrogen we keep investing (like toyota, like the Australian mining company, etc)... maybe there is a way to scale up large tank storage underground (underground because its cold, protected from weather, and will require less electricity to keep stored).

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Elon Musk's Boring company could make large underground facilites you drive through, changes your hydrogen storage tank, and you drive off, could be instant refueling.

Also, I feel like I am repeating myself... how does Toyota do it... they have active hydrogen fueling stations in California for many years now and expanded it.

You seem to be extremely hung up on Toyota's alleged "success" on this front.

Toyota hasn't "DONE IT". The Mirai is not a success. Just ask the Mirai early adopters who are now realizing that the car is only half the question (if that), infrastructure is the other half and Toyota hasn't anywhere near the amount of infrastructure needed to properly support hydrogen cars.

The Mirai also isn't evidence that Toyota is betting big on hydrogen. A company as big as Toyota has plans that cannot be easily turned around on a whim; there was news a little while back that they've been flirting with the idea of a partnership with Tesla, but plans take time to come to fruition. In the meantime, the bulk of Toyota's strategy still hedges on hybrids and more efficient gas engines (downsizing larger engines like the 1GR, turbocharging, D-4S dual injection, new platforms that integrate better with hybrid powertrains, etc.). Toyota believed that aggressively pursuing EVs wasn't the right policy (at least, not in the near term), and well, they're living with the consequences.

Yes, their new track car that runs hydrogen in a ICE engine turned a few heads as a technology demonstrator. That doesn't mean anything for the viability of hydrogen as a fuel and hydrogen-powered vehicles. Toyota is a company that plays it safe, but even then there's just not a good reason to invest significantly into this idea of making ICE cars run on hydrogen. They don't run hydrogen out of the box, they're not emissions-free, they're a distraction from EVs and Toyota's own hybrids, and the same problems with creating/storing hydrogen remain.

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
The other big issue with hydrogen other then storage, is the production of it, as currently like 95% comes from the cracking of methane and that makes it just as dirty a fuel as the petrol we use currently.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You seem to be extremely hung up on Toyota's alleged "success" on this front.

Toyota hasn't "DONE IT". The Mirai is not a success. Just ask the Mirai early adopters who are now realizing that the car is only half the question (if that), infrastructure is the other half and Toyota hasn't anywhere near the amount of infrastructure needed to properly support hydrogen cars.

The Mirai also isn't evidence that Toyota is betting big on hydrogen. A company as big as Toyota has plans that cannot be easily turned around on a whim; there was news a little while back that they've been flirting with the idea of a partnership with Tesla, but plans take time to come to fruition. In the meantime, the bulk of Toyota's strategy still hedges on hybrids and more efficient gas engines (downsizing larger engines like the 1GR, turbocharging, D-4S dual injection, new platforms that integrate better with hybrid powertrains, etc.). Toyota believed that aggressively pursuing EVs wasn't the right policy (at least, not in the near term), and well, they're living with the consequences.

Yes, their new track car that runs hydrogen in a ICE engine turned a few heads as a technology demonstrator. That doesn't mean anything for the viability of hydrogen as a fuel and hydrogen-powered vehicles.

I understand your arguments. Now I simply wonder why Toyota bothers with it, or why the UK airplane decided to use hydrogen... perhaps these are simply models in the hopes someday there will be a breakthrough in how to harvest hydrogen easier/cleaner. I am unsure. Maybe these things are an RnD program so to speak, and it's just a waiting game to see if some genius figures out a way to get hydrogen easier.

Memory 16GB DDR3

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
I understand your arguments. Now I simply wonder why Toyota bothers with it, or why the UK airplane decided to use hydrogen... perhaps these are simply models in the hopes someday there will be a breakthrough in how to harvest hydrogen easier/cleaner. I am unsure. Maybe these things are an RnD program so to speak, and it's just a waiting game to see if some genius figures out a way to get hydrogen easier.

I'm not sure I understand why they decided to go down this road either, lol. Toyota is the literal embodiment of "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but it doesn't feel like they were ever very serious about hydrogen. Seeing Toyota falling behind companies like Ford and GM in electrification is just......I hope they do find a way to jumpstart their venture into EVs, whether by the Tesla deal or otherwise.

I do get excited about cool new innovations in cars, but if anything the past 6 years have taught me that an exciting product means precisely 0 until the moment the company makes it a mass-produced commercial success (or at least real and viable to some degree). Merc EQC, Bollinger, Nikola, Rivian as of this moment.........over-promise, under-/don't-deliver. Same goes for the plane. It's cool, but I'll believe it when I see it.

At least Mirai is a real product and not vaporware, and the infrastructure for it certainly seems a little better in Japan. But it currently still falls into the same trap as the above, involving a lot of "promises" and not a lot of "reality"; like, hydrogen COULD be stored easily and widely but it isn't, hydrogen COULD be made in efficient, low-emissions ways but it isn't, etc.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That's my point... car storage... no economies of scale.

? electrolysis

I don't know what you mean by car storage... I'm talking about small tanks that go in the hydrogen car, they would pop out, then back in, as the car drives underground to refuel on an automated conveyor belt you drive on to, no humans needed. (this is just an idea of mine, I doubt it would work) my goal isn't to argue with this thread, it's simply asking a question about physics... is Elon Musk right in his video he made? are the physics clear cut, or is there something else possible. (I'd really love to know what this mining company in Australia is doing switching from traditional mining to making hydrogen, that article in particular I find intriguing, is it something new or what... I have no idea) I figure there has to be a financial incentive for them to switch though... which is where I get confused.

. Same goes for the plane. It's cool, but I'll believe it when I see it.

At least Mirai is a real product and not vaporware, and the infrastructure for it certainly seems a little better in Japan.

I'm not sure what you mean in regards to plane, the hydrogen fueled plane has already flown in the UK. It exists. Lot of questions I have... before I can comment further, but if it is exists it is not vaporware imo.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
There was a guy in Japan years ago that created an engine that literally ran off of water.
Part of the process involved ceramic "Plugs" that were heated to a very high temp and when the water was injected, it contacted the plugs, exploded/burned like gas and the engine ran.

It's a similar effect when you have molten metal and it comes in contact with water - If you are ever in a foundry and water comes in contact with the metal it will cause an explosion, if enough of both comes together you'd better RUN and hope you're fast enough.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
We've barely started with hydrogen cars. I just recently saw some stuff coming in the next few years but there's really been nothing much in production yet.

Memory 16GB DDR3
A steam engine runs on water...

What heated the plugs?

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
I'm not sure what you mean in regards to plane, the hydrogen fueled plane has already flown in the UK. It exists. Lot of questions I have... before I can comment further, but if it is exists it is not vaporware imo.

I know it has, I should have clarified that I was referring to the likes of the Airbus demonstrator plane. Hydrogen can easily power Cessna and Piper Cub sized aircraft, but the vast majority of people don't consider joyrides in a Cessna as making a meaningful impact on air travel as a whole. That would be like if we only had cars like this and hailed it a groundbreaking revolution for the auto industry:

I'm not saying that hydrogen doesn't hold promise. Perhaps a lot more promise in aviation, since electrification is not yet an option, but it's got a very long way to go.