1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why do I have missing shaders/stream processors??

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by MrCoffee, Aug 17, 2013.

1. MrCoffee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all. thank for taking the time to look at my post.
    I have two(2) XFX HD 7770 .. one is a black ed. and the other one is a 1gz ed. With the DD cooler on the two.

So my problem is that the 1gz model has missing stream processors. only 512 and not 640.also it only has 32 TMUs and not 40.. I do run them in crossfire and it a hit or a miss.sometimes it will crash on starting a game or hr's latter. sometimes games look like they are on fast forword and then I get a black screen. But when i run each card on there own they run just fine.. so Im not sure whats going on. Its a 7770 the PCB looks just like a reference card "1-DVI 1-HDMI 2xMINI display" even tho the rear I/O only has a hole cut for one of the mini display there is really 2 you just cant see it.. Its just odd that a 7770 would have 7750 numbers.

The PCB model stick says ( FX-777A-ZDF4 ) so it would be this one. http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b1687/xfx-double-d-hd-7770.html

but that one has 2xDVI 1-HDMI 1-Display port. But the bios says ( 015.013.000.002.000000 ) that would be for a core or a black. I will post some pics.

Attached Files:

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like you got a dodgy card, they cut back on shaders to up the clocks.

MrCoffee says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. MrCoffee New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was hoping to find a fix .. maybe a bios flash. but ive been looking into this for over a week now. and so far cant find any kinda answer.. I did find this screenshot . so I guess Im not the only one ..
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/uzvdw/

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's an overclocked 7750. It should be returned to XFX as they seem to have put the wrong sticker on the card.

Zubasa, tigger, MrCoffee and 1 other person say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. MrCoffee New Member

Thanks Received:
    I forgot to say its used. bought it off my cousins friend. He wanted to sale me the hole PC but I just got the video card .. and he did not register the card so I think im S.O.L on getting a new one. But i did message XFX facebook after i tried calling them and got no one. have not yet got a replay.

6. MrCoffee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Forgot to add that when i used sapphire trixx to look at the VDDC ..the 7770 1gz was at 2.00 and the black was at 1.75 I think.

7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Just get the receipt ready ( if possible from ya friend ) explain he never registered it and see if they will still honor it after all what is there to lose lol.

Calling them is a pain as of late, i normally have to call about 16:00 est time to get a tech.

MrCoffee says thanks.
  8. MrCoffee New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK ill keep trying. I really hope they work with me. I doubt that i can get a hold of the receipt Ive had this card for some time now. Dec 2012 or so. I put this in to crossfire but then started having issues . and blamed it on the AMD drivers and stuck the card in my bed room PC.. and now i got a new 7870 for my bed room PC so i stick it back in the other PC with the new 13.8 drivers and still the same ol thing. than i seen the problem with the stream processors.

9. MrCoffee New Member

Thanks Received:
    just a few pics.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      81.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      84.9 KB
      Views:
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well you do know they had a massive data loss some months back don't you ?, COUGH...... Not sure if they lost any accounts though and not i am not suggesting :D

MrCoffee says thanks.
  11. MrCoffee New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL o geez. thats dont sound to good. well not good for me at lest. I came across this page of a 7770 super overclock . and it has the same rear I/O as mine and the PCB looks the same. I was wondering maybe my card was meant to be one of them, but didn't make the cut. and got loaded with the wrong bios. link http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XFX/HD_7770_Black_Edition_Super_Overclock/3.html

I still need to get a hold of XFX .. if nothing swings my way im not sure what to do. it does run fine on its own. but if i sale it i would need to be up front about its issue. Not sure if it would be safe to do a bios flash.

12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think a bios flash will actually do anything. I doubt those shaders are removed via software.

MrCoffee says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    It really looks like a fake/remarked card.
    There are many of these things out there these days, you have to be careful when you buy any card, second hand or not.
    I seriously doubt there are any way to fix this card.

MrCoffee says thanks.
  14. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Probably a misplaced board somehow found its way to the 7770 assembly, packaged as a 7770(with all the stickers, designs and boxes) but it's 7750 board. can be accidentally, or intentionally(to save up costs).

They even look the same too!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150611
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150599

That's why when I buy a new card, at the store they let me test it in their workshop and see the detected specs. You could have requested a gpu-z screenshot off the buyer before buying it, and try it out yourself too before it's too late.

EDIT: just a question for everyone, is there a way for GPU-Z to make it show the exact model? and not the series only

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    MrCoffee says thanks.
  15. MrCoffee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out with this. I will post back as soon I can get a hold of XFX . I really hope they have some kinda info for me and maybe a fix, If there is one. I seen this today sound kinda like the same thing.. but its for older AMD cards.
    Link.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/155

16. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no, even in CCC it shows the series.

10 Year Member at TPU