• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why does Windows 10 microsoft photos.exe always run and connect to the internet?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
clean install of win 10 and latest nvidia drivers released today. just have a couple games installed on steam is all.

rebooted a few times, etc etc. its been idle for awhile, etc.

last 3-4 hours it shows photos.exe has been active under my 1070 even though i have not opened it even once.... and it shows internet activity... im really tired of M$'s crap. I think I might be making switch to Linux permanently unless someone can tell me how to disable photos in full, I never use it anyway.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
It's a UWP app, so it'd just be trying to connect to the Windows store to update. Either that or you have OneDrive enabled and it's checking for photos there.

To disable it in full, maybe check in the Services app, see if it runs any processes at start (which you can disable from there). Although I doubt it takes any resources worth caring about.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It's a UWP app, so it'd just be trying to connect to the Windows store to update. Either that or you have OneDrive enabled and it's checking for photos there.

To disable it in full, maybe check in the Services app, see if it runs any processes at start (which you can disable from there). Although I doubt it takes any resources worth caring about.

hmm ok thanks for answer, i have windows store uninstalled, as well as Edge, and one drive and defender disabled with Shut Up Ten... so its prob just constantly looking for a hookup and never get its... story of my life too photos.exe

yeah thats a joke for you dense folks ^

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
In power shell you can do it by

Code:
get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

but it will probably come back during the next build update, and remember you need to set the default picture software after. You can just set it to paint or something.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
In power shell you can do it by

Code:
get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

but it will probably come back during the next build update, and remember you need to set the default picture software after. You can just set it to paint or something.

That worked great, thanks! Do you have a command line that removes Cortana, cause I still see its processes running in task manager even though Shut Up Ten disabled it, lol

Also I won't be upgrading to next build. probably will wait 12 months, do the second next major build, since its every 6 months. and then do all this crap all over. :D

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I'm just gonna say more power to you, to start with. :p

But I wouldn't touch any of this myself (unless it was that edition of Windows that is completely stripped). I tend to find that screwing with MS stuff causes issues. And if you think about it too much, you're going to find it's tentacles reaching out to areas you didn't even notice before (*cough* registry). It can really be aggravating trying to run a "clean slate" type of Windows. Best not think about it imHo. And with modern computers, it barely makes a dent on performance anyhow. I used to be more obsessed about it in the Win9x days.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
That worked great, thanks! Do you have a command line that removes Cortana, cause I still see its processes running in task manager even though Shut Up Ten disabled it, lol

Also I won't be upgrading to next build. probably will wait 12 months, do the second next major build, since its every 6 months. and then do all this crap all over. :D

No unfortunetly you can use powershell to remove uwp's but cortana is integrated. there is a way but its manual and will break windows search I do not reccomend it

if you would like I have a script I run on my master image I deploy and I can give you the powershell to remove all apps, I think I leave calculator and the store itself.

Ill do it anyway for acedemic shouldnt matter if you want it or not others might.

Code:
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | where-object {$_.name -notlike "*Store*" -and $_.name -notlike "*Calculator*"} | Remove-AppxPackage -erroraction silentlycontinue

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online | where-object {$_.displayname -notlike "*Store*" -and $_.displayname -notlike "*Calculator*"} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -erroraction silentlycontinue

it removes all but the store and calculator.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
No unfortunetly you can use powershell to remove uwp's but cortana is integrated. there is a way but its manual and will break windows search I do not reccomend it

if you would like I have a script I run on my master image I deploy and I can give you the powershell to remove all apps, I think I leave calculator and the store itself.

Ill do it anyway for acedemic shouldnt matter if you want it or not others might.

Code:
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | where-object {$_.name -notlike "*Store*" -and $_.name -notlike "*Calculator*"} | Remove-AppxPackage -erroraction silentlycontinue

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online | where-object {$_.displayname -notlike "*Store*" -and $_.displayname -notlike "*Calculator*"} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -erroraction silentlycontinue

it removes all but the store and calculator.

Worked great, thank you. I just bookmarked this thread in my mods folder in chrome so I will always have those scripts handy for future clean installs.

Last edited by a moderator: