• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why I'm now an Apple fan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Doesn't matter what it sounds like when you have a phone with a shattered screen afterwards.

Meh, it was one test. That doesn't say much really. If you want it to become usable data you need many phones.

Appointments suddenly make sense. They need a large window of time, without interruption, to take customers through all the phases of their routine. Before seeing that link, I thought Apple just needed a lashing by an anti-trust probe. After seeing that, there's no company on Earth I dispise more than Apple. They're conducting psychological warfare, secretly in their stores. This is shit the CIA was researching in the 60s and 70s (less the LSD) applied to profits.

Edit: This is sickening.

That is pretty standard stuff really. When I was a MS tech support it was something similiar. It wasn't that comprehensive, but reading that really makes it come back. It's how all support works, becuase you know why? It works. It's like putting flowers and stuff at the entrance in grocery shops, it works. Or commercials or anything really.

EDIT: Look at what the commenters on the article say. I think pretty much every single salesperson and support people go through something similiar. Also, I might be wrong about it "working", but that's the impression I got when working at support.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I can find a Verizon store 10 minutes away from my house and a Best Buy like 20 minutes from my house. Will Verizon have my hypothetical defective Nokia Lumia 900 fixed in (and I'm being generous) a week? Will Geek Squad repair my device for free if it's still under warranty?

Again this goes back to how I said company's are walking all over us and lowering our standards. I never said those company's were any better than apple, but just cause Verizon sucks and Geek Squad sucks even more, Apple or lets say Asus is going to be praised for their suckyness? Its nice to know Apple will replace a product but you've also shown us that their quality assurance is certainly not doing well. 1 for 1 if anything, I'd say they are just like everyone else.

Benetanegia

Sounds like you got standard warranty service dude.

Over here if your product is faulty you take it to the shop with your receipt and exchange just like you did.

It should be standard practice sounds like the stores you go to just have crappy returns policies.

This.

Ohh wait, so they made you wait for two hours and gave you another faulty unit and you call it great customer service??? Men, i'm shocked.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
That is pretty standard stuff really. When I was a MS tech support it was something similiar. It wasn't that comprehensive, but reading that really makes it come back. It's how all support works, becuase you know why? It works. It's like putting flowers and stuff at the entrance in grocery shops, it works. Or commercials or anything really.

EDIT: Look at what the commenters on the article say. I think pretty much every single salesperson and support people go through something similiar. Also, I might be wrong about it "working", but that's the impression I got when working at support.
Not in the USA, it isn't. Most customer service reps I talk to do try to sympathize with you. Apple stresses empathy, not sympathy. The "Geniuses" objective is to admit no fault of Apple even if they are responsible. Also, all the stores that compete with Apple Store don't require appointments like Apple does (unless it is to arrange delivery of something). Apple cares little about the problem and a lot about brainwashing the customer into buying more/coming back. This, as far as I know, is uniquely Apple.

Kantastic is proof it works. A situation that should have resulted in never entering an Apple Store again except for a refund has resulted in, apparently, a lifelong customer.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not in the USA, it isn't. Most customer service reps I talk to do try to sympathize with you. Apple stresses empathy, not sympathy. The "Geniuses" objective is to admit no fault of Apple even if they are responsible. Also, all the stores that compete with Apple Store don't require appointments like Apple does (unless it is to arrange delivery of something). Apple cares little about the problem and a lot about brainwashing the customer into buying more/coming back. This, as far as I know, is uniquely Apple.

Kantastic is proof it works. A situation that should have resulted in never entering an Apple Store again except for a refund has resulted in, apparently, a lifelong customer.

"As far as you know" is the key phrase. It's how advertising works, it's how sales works, it's how callcenters work, it's how the world works. Apple just provide a bit more depth in their training. Go buy a car at a bigger place and you can damn well be sure they know this as well. It generates income see, and income is always interesting.

And appointments makes a whole lot of sense to me. You either make an appoinment and arrive at that time, which is convenient, or you go there and have to wait because there are a lot of other people there. If anything the possibility to make an appointment is a plus. You can plan your day in a totally different way.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
The sales (and support) techniques used by Apple have been around for decades.
You usually don't encounter them in the average reatil store in the US, but they are used a lot in one-on-one sales meetings to overcome sales opposition.

.. and yes, they work very well.

Processor q6600 G0 @ 2.8Ghz
Motherboard ex38 DS4
Cooling air
Memory 4 *1gig tracer ballistic
Video Card(s) sapphire dual bios 6950
Storage ssd- sandisk 120gb, sata- 2 500gb samsung in raid 1 & 1 samsung 400gb
Display(s) LG w2452tx
Case nzxt
Audio Device(s) na
Power Supply hiper 730
Mouse g9
Keyboard bt microsoft arch
Software win7
me no like apple to much, cant even buy an new battery yourself for most of there tech

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
me no like apple to much, cant even buy an new battery yourself for most of there tech

You can replace the battery on a new MBP, or just about any of their older devices, but yes. It is getting harder to replace parts inside modern Macs, but conversely Apple batteries have had increasing capacity, better power usage, and longer longevity. Even after a year the MBP I was using held just as much charge after a year and a half than when I first got it.

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
All I am saying is that if I make an appointment for a certain time and show up on time, I expect to be taken care of at that time. Not 2 hrs later. I mean when I make a doctors appt for say 3pm. I get there on time they take me right in ahead of the walk in's as I did take the time to make an appt. This doesn't seem to be so with the Apple store. They have either over booked for that time or they don't have enough staff to cover appts. Either way it still shouldn't take 2 to 3 hrs to get service. I understand they are busy but damn.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
All I am saying is that if I make an appointment for a certain time and show up on time, I expect to be taken care of at that time. Not 2 hrs later. I mean when I make a doctors appt for say 3pm. I get there on time they take me right in ahead of the walk in's as I did take the time to make an appt. This doesn't seem to be so with the Apple store. They have either over booked for that time or they don't have enough staff to cover appts. Either way it still shouldn't take 2 to 3 hrs to get service. I understand they are busy but damn.

Didnt he have to wait two hours because he didnt have an appointment?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1

You make it sound like waiting 2 hours is better than waiting 2 weeks for an RMA that you paid shipping for that might not be repaired/replaced because of one reason or another is a bad thing.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'd rather wait 2 weeks for a RMA return than wait 2 hours in a retail store.
That's 2 hours of quality beer drinking time lost forever. :shadedshu :D

I reread the OP again and as I understood it he didn't make an appointment, that was why he had to wait so long.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
That is how I understand it also, Frick. So it seems the people thinking he made an appointment and still had to wait two hours are incorrect.
However, having to wait more than about 10 minutes without an appointment means they need to expand their support to facilitate the traffic.

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Didnt he have to wait two hours because he didnt have an appointment?
I was speaking of my own experience with the Apple store. We had an appointment and still had to wait around that store for 2hrs. Which I think is more then ridiculous when going into a retail store.

You make it sound like waiting 2 hours is better than waiting 2 weeks for an RMA that you paid shipping for that might not be repaired/replaced because of one reason or another is a bad thing.

A 2 week wait on an rma is expected when shipping something off for repair/replacement and it has to be shipped back.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Oh, we were talking about Kantastic. If you made an appointment and still had to wait two hours, that is completely unacceptable to me.

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Oh, we were talking about Kantastic. If you made an appointment and still had to wait two hours, that is completely unacceptable to me.

That's what I am saying. We had to drive almost 2 hrs away to wait in a store for over 2 hrs. It took the good part of a day dealing with them. Never again and when the contract ends on the phone it is gone with a capital G. My wife will have to pick out another brand that we can get service for at the wireless store we purchase it at. :toast:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Where do you live, MaD? ... and how much is gas by you?
It would have cost me about $40 in gas alone, not to mention 6 hours of time.

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
I live in Va. and gas is about $3.70 a gallon. So yeah $40 in gas and a good 6 hrs or so of a day to have a phone replaced. It just ridiculous if you ask me. Especially when I can have my pos free with a plan phone replaced in about 10 mins in the store. Only reason my wife has a IPhone is for the gps and she though it was a good phone. She needs the GPS for work (EMT) and she hops between Ambulances.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Well, there is something to be said for keeping the Mrs. happy. ;)

I'm a bad judge of this stuff too. I have a Motorola dumbphone. It's just a phone, which is fine because I just want to use it to call people.
I don't use GPS as I've found something better. Maps !!
I don't mind getting lost because I believe we can all agree that asking for directions is out of the question for guys and makes for more adventure!! :D

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Oh I don't mind maps either but with her she need precise directions on the spot as she is saving lives. Oh I also have a dumb phone as all I do is call.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
I was speaking of my own experience with the Apple store. We had an appointment and still had to wait around that store for 2hrs. Which I think is more then ridiculous when going into a retail store.

Ahh that is a whole other story, and that sucks. Couldn't you send it for RMA? It would've taken longer but it may have been more convenient (speaking from epxerience, I grew up at least 100 miles away from any store that had any kind of service).

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
I wish I could have but she really needs her phone for work.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
For phones, I expect wherever I bought it to replace it in stores. Usually that store isn't 2 hrs away and the wait time isnt more than 20 without appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.