1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

why is my cpu overheating

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by xmountainxlionx, Jun 28, 2008.

1. xmountainxlionx

xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    I had my cpu oc'ed to 3.6 and some stuff happened and I had to reset it. now Im trying to reoverclock it and in the pic its at 2.6ghz (389x9) and the temps in everest are saying its at 65c? maybe I have my voltage up to high idk, I just put a new layer of thermal paste on and that didnt help. also my cpu and heatsink are lapped. when the cpu was at 3.6 its load was right under 70c.

Attached Files:

• new.jpg
      new.jpg
      File size:
      181.8 KB
      Views:
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Did you clean off the old thermal paste and how many volts are you currently running at?

xmountainxlionx says thanks.
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well anymore info you can provided, like voltage for CPU, model of Zalman CPU cooler, fan speed settings, etc will help for starters.

How is your case airflow? How warm is the ambient temperature in the room your PC resides in? What was the "some stuff" that happened when you OC'd to 3.6? crashes? instability? Also I have found that Everest reads about 3-5C hi in comparison to Real Temp as-far-as the cores go, so maybe take that into consideration. Does your HSF fit pretty snug against the CPU? Are you using less TIM since you have lapped your HSF and CPU? I have heard that since the contact surfaces are smoother, it does not take as much TIM for a proper contact...dunno if that's true since I don't lap my equipment.

Just some things to think about, any more info you can provide would be helpful, but I do recommend trying other programs for your core temperatures, Core Temp, Real Temp come to mind for sure.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. xmountainxlionx

xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    yes i did clean off the old paste. ah forgot to mention, its at 1.3v, I dont know what model zalman it is for sure, has a 92mm fan at 3000rpm. ambient temps in my room are around 70~. Airflow in my case is good. I had to reset it because i had to restore my computer due to some a problem(i forgot what it was) but it had nothing todo with the cpu. it ran at 3.6 for 3months straight.

5. xmountainxlionx

xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    real temp is giving me slightly better temps of 61c, but i dont know who to believe.

6. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well, depending on how much heat that Zalman can dissapate (I'm assuming it's a 9500/9700 series, I don't have much experience with these, so I do not know for sure), you may be on par with the load temps you're getting right now. These quads do pump out a pretty healthy ammount of heat. In reality those temps shouldn't be too detrimental, but if that's at only 2.6GHz for a total of 200MHz OC, I would question reseating again, ensuring the HSF sink is secure and tight. But you may consider a more effective cooler for that CPU if this is the case. But I find it hard a Zalman cooler as you described (it's not a 7000/7700 series is it?) would perform that similar to a stock CPU cooler...

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. xmountainxlionx

xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    well the zalman is a 9500, and i got it to 3.6ghz at 1.394v and its idling at 49c, right now. I dont understand why its so high as you said. I wonder if there would be a way to volt mod the fan on the zalman to make the fan run faster, or add more copper? some sort of mod

8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    That's pretty warm, but I don't know how much heat the 9500 is capable of handelling in your ambeint temp/airflow situation. I run at 3.6/400FSB using 1.42v, I hit mid-50's with my Xig, now that it's getting warmer out, I'm sure I'll touch 60, but I'm not worried about it.

What were you running at before those hi temps brought this thread to life? I really think you're just pushing that 9500 too much, you probably could add a 120mm fan to the exhaust side of it to suck more air through the fins, I'm sure a careful zip-tie job could be done, I'm sure there are mods out there.

Are all your case fans on full speed? What speed does your CPU fan run at (hi/lo/med?), do you use a fan controller? Definately keep us posted, I hope we can getcha sorted and running cooler without costing you too much cash to do it!

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. xmountainxlionx

xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    well I think I noticed the problem, everything is saying the cpu fan is running at 2100 rpm, and i know it will do 2700 rpms. I cant get speedfan to work right, and I cant adjust it in the bios. I know its possible to run 3.6ghz with out hitting 70c on this cooler.

10. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    So you have the CPU fan connected directly to the MB? I know when I used the provided Zalman fan speed controller with my 7700 AlCu it was 200-300RPM slower at max than just having the fan hooked up to the MB. You have no way to control or disable controlled fan speed in BIOS? Weird...I haven't seen a board in years that didn't at least have that option for CPU Fan Speed. What about temp control settings to modulate fan speed?

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    In the BIOS disable the fan control and it will run at max RPM all the time, should help some also might want to check that the cooler is/was seated properly, and if it is a 9500 and it is sucking the air up from the bottom of the case to the top, you should be able to place a 80mm fan on the top of the cooler to help suck the air away and maybe get some cooler temps.

12. xmountainxlionx

xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    I finally got speedfan figured out and its idling right now at 3ghz at 39c. And if i remember right thats about where i want to be.

13. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Is that a peak OC of 3.0 or idle from 3.6? I idle at 2.4 with my 3.6 settings...that nets me cooler idle temps for sure! 39c idle for an OC'd quad core should be just fine! I don't worry nearly as much about idle temps as I do load temps...my rig could idle at 40-50C as long as it stayed below 65C on the cores I'm content! :D

10 Year Member at TPU