1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why isn't the Opera web browser more popular?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Mighty-Lu-Bu, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Mighty-Lu-Bu

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Thanks Received:
    I have generally been a fan of both Chrome and and Firefox over the years, but I constantly switch because they always seem to break. For awhile Firefox will be great, but then an update will come around and it will start acting weird on my system. So then I switch to Chrome and then it is good for a few months and the same thing keeps happening. A friend recommended Opera to me and honestly I am really enjoying it. It has the extensions that I want, it is simple, but quick and it has a built in VPN which is huge. So it begs the question, why isn't this browser more popular?

2. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Needs a better name.

qubit and chaosmassive say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    It's basically a skinned chrome at this point. It shares the same rendering engine, anyways (Blink). They killed their own (Presto) long ago, which made me disinterested in it.

radusorin, Dethroy, peche and 3 others say thanks.
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    What RTB said. Besides, Opera back in version 12.x days, it was way ahead of most browsers. It was so feature rich and configurable you didn't even need extensions and addons. Then they've gone to Chrome base and threw everything they've made to that point away. It still hasn't reached even 10% of what it was before to be honest. And they keep on ignoring things like simple ability to arrange extensions icons in the toolbar. They just get arranged in order of installation. While Chrome has that. So stupid and annoying it's one of things why I just can't use it.

basco and AsRock say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. XiGMAKiD

XiGMAKiD

Thanks Received:
    I'm still using Opera, I like it even more when they announced they will use the same engine as Chrome as I like Chrome but don't need the extra bells and whistles.

6. Khonjel

Khonjel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I might start using it. I've accumulated so much bookmarks in Opera Mini that I need to offload them on the desktop browser. Generally I do very low bandwidth browsing in mobile (read fanfic, manga, browse reddit, forums etc.). So I avoid using Chrome mobile. Hell, Opera Mini also has native adblock which Google hates.

7. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Vivaldi seems to be a better alternative

Dethroy, 95Viper and Kursah say thanks.
  8. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When they get profile sync deployed it will be. I do like many things that Vivaldi does, so I look forward to using it more in the future when sync is enabled.

Opera brought us tabbed browsing, then Chrome came in and stole the show....even with Opera using Chromium now I see no need to use it as I prefer Chrome.

The VPN can go either way...I wouldn't expect much and I wouldn't expect it to be a very protective VPN being a free service. I'd have to look into what encryption settings and servers they're using, but frankly seeing "included VPN" dissuades me more than persuades me. I should at least look into it further...but then I look at my Chrome setup, all working so well and wonder...why? :)

Dethroy says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Meh. Blink too, IIRC. But at least they differentiated it enough.

10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    And it is. My only problem is hitting backspace sometimes means going back in history, which is so annoying I'm thinking about going back to ... I honestly don't know.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    IE5!

That'd take some serious desperation come to think of it.

12. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I did use Lynx as my main browser for a while....

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    it used to be the shit back in the day... and i mean wayyyyy back.

its sort of been declining ever since.

14. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've kind of stopped using Opera all together on my desktop, but I use it a lot on my phone and tablet.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    I've got it installed on my laptop for the built-in VPN in case I take it on holiday with me and this way still able to watch my favorite tv channels online from my country.
    (if the internet speed is fast enough...)

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. FilipM

FilipM

Thanks Received:
    A few years ago, when HTML5 came out, Opera was one of (if not the only) browser that worked flawlessly with HTML5. As I needed that due to what I was working with back then, I've stuck to Opera ever since and still using it today.

Agreed, it could be better if they go away from that Chrome engine

17. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If they dropped the Chrome engine then I could see myself using it on my desktop again.. I thought I was the only one that does not like Chrome. :toast: I've tried to use it and it has some things I like, but I always go back to FF or a variant.

FilipM says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Just like others said Opera lost its individuality when they abandoned their own engine. Meeeeeeeeeeeeh

95Viper says thanks.
  19. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I don't like Chrome much either and use Firefox as my main browser too. However, I keep it as it's still useful in various scenarios. For example, it's much faster and smoother at rendering Google Maps than FF, even with a brand new virgin FF installation. FF has an infuriating habit of getting stuck with a half drawn map. Thing is, IE and Edge work ok with Maps, so I don't know why FF struggles with it so much. :ohwell:

Gasaraki and Mindweaver say thanks.
  20. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I started using Opera over 10 years ago. It was the first browser to use tabs. But it is true that they lost innovation when they switched to the chromium. It became a stale subset of the old Opera.

A couple of their former developers started up Vivaldi a few years back, and although it is also chromium based, it is very innovative. It's now my primary browser, although it still has growing pains.

The old Opera kb shortcuts still work, but it has a side panel for bookmarks, downloads, and any web page that works in a thin mode. You can stack tabs and view them in split screen mode very easily.

I highly recommend it if you are look for new features in a browser.

21. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    I am using Opera, whatever... My taste...

HD64G says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Mighty-Lu-Bu

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Thanks Received:
    Well if it breaks in the next couple months I will switch yet again, but so far so good. Also, there is suppose to be a major revision to Firefox which might be worth looking into to.

23. alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Used to use Opera a long time ago. When they sold their soul, I ditched them for good.

24. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Opera would be fantastic if all they did was just popping a Chrome engine into Opera 12.50 design. But they basically copied Chrome and all its crap and that is what annoyed most users, including myself. It's been years now and it still doesn't have all the functionality.

Vivaldi, without any syncing is just not usable for me. I have several systems and I need same bookmarks and data on all systems.

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Because it sucks? EDGE FOR LIFE!

10 Year Member at TPU