• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why overdrive/overclock from CCC didn't work on x1600pro?

ARTOSOFT

Why I can overclock my x1600pro 512MB AGP with ATITool or ATI Tray Tool, but not with Catalyst? I can't use overdrive feature on Catalyst.

Is bios flashing will enable overdrive/overclock in catalyst? Are the overdrive/overclock in catalyst is better than any "3rd party" overclock program?

Thanks!

Regards,
Arto.

Perhaps it's locked and ATITool is made to unlock it? I'm not sure about the x1600, but i suppose it could also be unlocked via a BIOS flash.

Processor Phenom II x4 955
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5P
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2 + 2*Gentle Typhoon
Memory 4 GB @ 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) HD4870 CrossfireX
Storage 250 GB + 2*500 GB + 750GB
Display(s) Samsung 245B
Case Silverstone FT02
Power Supply LC Power Arkangel 850W
Software Windows 7 X64
I always thought that Overdrive was an utility for XT cards. You can use Ati Tool or Ati tray tools, i think both are better ways for overclock than overdrive.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I think you will find that ATi tool changes the way CCC does it's business and therefore causes CCC to disable overclocking. If I am right I think you will find that there is a way to overcome this, the first thing to do is to not have ATI tool starting at startup so uncheck that in the settings in ATi tool, you can always just open ATi tool once into your desktop and choose your profile then tweak to your hearts content.

You then need to go to "START" at the bottom left of your screen, then click on "run" and type in the command "msconfig", you will then get a configuration screen, go to the "services" tab and you should find one or two obviously CCC/ATi related proggies disabled/unchecked (these are the ones ATi tool may have played with),also at this time just check the startup tag to ensure that the ATi/CCC entries (if any) are checked to startup, excluding of course ATi tool as you will just be undoing what you have just done enable them and apply and quit, you will be asked to restart your PC, make sure you dont have ATI tool starting at startup as previously mentioned and you should find that once restarted if you go into CCC (you should have that set to starting up with windows now if not before) you should have the overdrive option.

Now all I have said here depends on your version of windows and ATi tool but give it a go, the good thing about this is you can painlessly reverse it if it didnt work.