• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why should Physx matter?!

• Thread starter Deleted member 185158
  • Start date

Would physx improve your experience?

• Would like to see higher particle counts!!!

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Somewhat interested, but only have AMD

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Don't want to run more than one card (NV)

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Have heard about it, not informed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care, not interested.

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 185158

While that all true, like with and game, as things progress so to does the need for more computational power, thus a more powerful GPU is required to run Physx4.1 than the original incarnation of Physx. Not gonna do it tonight, but sometime soon.

Well I had used my gtx 760 under a gtx 770 for physx. The physx gpu was not under any real loads. maybe used 30-50%.

They've added quite a bit of features to Physx, I agree large than 500mhz PPU would be best, but the PPU won't run on NV drivers.... so we can't really compare I guess.

D

Deleted member 185158

That's kinda what I was thinking. Funny thing is, the GTX760 is actually nearly identical to the GTX670 in specs. So now we know what to expect! Thanks for sharing! You just saved me a bunch of testing. :rockout:

I'd try to use my Tesla K20, but I can't get it to work. My motherboard "doesn't have enough recources." or something along that error I get lol.

Spent good money on it too... eye roll.

D

Deleted member 185158

That sucks.

After research, It's (tesla cards) are proprietary to certain server motherboards. I can get the system to see the card and even install drivers. From the reads, it seems the Bios isn't set up to allocate certain resources to the card. Would need barring modification of user-accessible BIOS settings that modify the BIOS resource assignment behavior. So the board may physxally (word play) plug the card in and the board may actually have the resources, but the bios just simply isn't set up for Tesla cards.

The Tesla K20 came from the Tyan FT48-B7055 platform. Which had a variety of boards to choose from.
- CPU Centric: GT24-B8236- IL & GT26A-B8812
- GPU Centric: S7055, S7065, GN70-B7056, TA77-B7061, FT48-B7055 & FT77A-B7059
- Technical Computing: S7050, S7053, S7056, S7066

At some point I was thinking of a build if I can find one of these boards cheap enough, I could run the Tesla card.

After research, It's (tesla cards) are proprietary to certain server motherboards. I can get the system to see the card and even install drivers. From the reads, it seems the Bios isn't set up to allocate certain resources to the card. Would need barring modification of user-accessible BIOS settings that modify the BIOS resource assignment behavior. So the board may physxally (word play) plug the card in and the board may actually have the resources, but the bios just simply isn't set up for Tesla cards.

The Tesla K20 came from the Tyan FT48-B7055 platform. Which had a variety of boards to choose from.
- CPU Centric: GT24-B8236- IL & GT26A-B8812
- GPU Centric: S7055, S7065, GN70-B7056, TA77-B7061, FT48-B7055 & FT77A-B7059
- Technical Computing: S7050, S7053, S7056, S7066

At some point I was thinking of a build if I can find one of these boards cheap enough, I could run the Tesla card.
I say go for it. Tyan boards are pricey, but if you shop Ebay carefully you'll find one for a reasonable price.
For example, found this;
$199. That's actually a decent price for such a board, but need a case that fit's it.

This one comes with a pair of CPU's but is untested. The seller states they don't have the proper equipment to test so, if anything, buy it for the CPU's and if the board works, bonus round.
Seller has perfect ratings so it's likely to be a bargin at $136 shipped. The CPU's alone are worth more than that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185158

I say go for it. Tyan boards are pricey, but if you shop Ebay carefully you'll find one for a reasonable price.
For example, found this;
$199. That's actually a decent price for such a board, but need a case that fit's it.

This one comes with a pair of CPU's but is untested. The seller states they don't have the proper equipment to test so, if anything, buy it for the CPU's and if the board works, bonus round.
Seller has perfect ratings so it's likely to be a bargin at $136 shipped. The CPU's alone are worth more than that.

Had me thinking on it. But not in the market just yet. Besides that 2nd link is for parts or not working.

Been playing around with NVidia Flex. Fun interactive demo for sure.
Got the Physx PPU installed and working too.

This is why Physx should be more involved in gaming (imo)
This is rendered in real time. Looks phenomenal.
What you see here is being done on GTX 980 1355/1800mhz
Average Load of 96% GPU.