• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why use an ADBANNER BLOCKING HOSTS file? Here is why:

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc
He's referring to how 1337 (leet) your download is :p.

Lmao! Had no idea :p

Gonna dl this adblocker now Alec

Looks and sounds good ;)

(Ill re-post once I set it up)

System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc
Works GREAT!

Thanks Alec!

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
He's referring to how 1337 (leet) your download is :p.

LOL, I guess...

If that IS the case? Well, maybe he's right!

I say that, all per my discussion w/ Steevo last page about it, using Delphi, & such...

E.G.-> It took me building a program, to create the outputs to build this file RIGHT, completely right & to be able to maintain it properly for updates/deletes/adds/alphabetical ordering inside of servers blocked/normalization (duplicates removal, if say I add another adbanner block content list into it & want to check for duplicates compared to what was originally in it)...

:)

* Anyhow, it works, enjoy it, & DO READ ITS INTERIOR w/ notepad.exe to really get the most out of it (in other words to add your fav sites to it as well (for even MORE SPEED, but DO CHECK THE SITES IN IT FOR FAVS, currently commented off & only examples, as their IP may have changed since the time I added them) as blocking banners that are potentially dangerous, & that slow you down (after all, it's YOUR MONEY people)).

APK

P.S.=> If you guys think it's good just by blocking banners? Wait until you learn to use it for speeding up your fav. sites for even MORE SPEED! Again, check the examples I have for correct IP address equated to their URL, because those are JUST examples, & may be out of date, today!

So, PING is your pal here, with notepad.exe!

Plus, another benefit of that is that IF your DNS is down, compromised (ala router hijacks in javascript noted in this URL here in the NEWS section):

Computer routers face hijack risk:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=25734

You can still get to your fav. sites & KNOW they are not compromised, because it's YOU, not your DNS, determining the URL-> IP Address equation resolution! Think about it, it's a "Win-Win" all the way around... apk

Last edited:

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Works GREAT!

Thanks Alec!

You're welcome!

Also, like I stated to "Z" above?

* Do check out its interior using notepad.exe to edit or examine it, & see how the "SPEEDUP ACCESS TO YOUR FAVORITE SITES" sections work...

That is IF you use the sites I use in its examples speedup sections (commented off now, uncomment to activate, BUT DO CHECK THEIR IP ADDRESS FIRST, prior to applying this file, because again - they're only examples, & may be out of date as to their URL -> IP Address equation!)

See, as I said last reply of mine, another benefit of that is that IF your DNS is down, compromised (ala router hijacks in javascript noted in this URL here in the NEWS section):

Computer routers face hijack risk:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=25734

You can still get to your fav. sites & KNOW they are not compromised, because it's YOU, not your DNS, determining the URL-> IP Address equation resolution! Think about it, it's a "Win-Win" all the way around...

(Because they do secure you, make you go faster handling URL-> IP Address equation resolution, make your fav cites faster, & also protect you against DNS compromise or down time also, & add to your speed you gain by disabling loads of adbanners, even more, by speeding up access to said fav. sites of yours you have... it works as well, for even MORE speed online in your browsers & web apps!)

Do check the examples section & prior to uncommenting them & then activating them? DO ping them first, prior to uncommenting them & making them active... That is so you have the RIGHT IP Address matched to their URLs...

APK

P.S=> Glad to hear those of you that have tried it, like it, above all else... apk

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i11
Memory 4x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133MHz
Video Card(s) 2x NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FEs
Storage 512GB SSD, 2x2TB HDD
Display(s) AOC U2879VF, AOC G2260VWQ6
Case Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Thank goodness for malware blocking... and why the f**k doesnt the government just find out who hosts the adverts and then shut them down? :S

Alec§taar

Thank goodness for malware blocking... and why the f**k doesnt the government just find out who hosts the adverts and then shut them down? :S

First of all, because not ALL adbanners are 'malware payload bearing' & secondly because it is what "makes America beautiful", lol, in advertising - I'm not against a site or company making a buck to stay alive, because after all, it IS what it is all about largely for survival purposes.

However, I am against paying out my linetime & bandwidth (because it is my money & in your cases, yours, paying for ISP/BSP online time) to load said banner ads, much less ones that may bear "malware/spyware/virusware/nuisanceware" payloads.

(You catch one of those, it might mean rebuild time, which IS your time!)

WHAT AM I FOR? Surfing faster & safer - & this file GIVES YOU JUST THAT!

* PLUS, when you come right down to it? Big money runs things, not the gov't., not really... after all, 'campaign contributors' are who puts politicians in office, @ least in the USA imo. And, let's face it? Most politicians truly ARE, "the best money CAN buy"... if you catch my drift.

(& I know 1 thing for certain, from having seen company payrolls & financial outlays in my line of work many times over the years: Typically, especially in 'hard times', NO departmental body in companies gets money in a company, per dept., like marketing dept.'s do...)

However, I imagine that once they are shown as bearing payloads that are destructive, like the one I note on the last page (& others over the past few years that others here knew about like Wazzle on the last page)? They probably get chastized, if not wholesale blocked out @ their ISP/BSP level... can't have that, can't "yell & scream from the rooftops 'BUY MY PRODUCT'" then @ that point.

APK

P.S.=> That'd be my take on that... apk

Last edited:

Alec§taar

True story, some will laugh, others get upset (deals in HOSTS files misinformation)

This will either make some folks laugh, or get upset, read on:

Jim from the shareware/freeware downloading website Majorgeeks.com website says in a MP3 of a radio show they do weekly basically says:

"Using hosts files does not speed you up, & that calling out to today's DNS servers is just as fast"...

I say - "b.s.", & here is why below:

Simply because you are acting as your OWN DNS server in cases where you use this file to resolve the URL-> IP address equation & this is far faster than calling out to your ISP/BSP dns servers & waiting out the result roundtrip from them, back to you...

There is also more SPEED that you gain in that you are also NOT calling out to adbanner servers & downloading + running their data as well!

Typically, this nets you a HUGE speed boost there alone on those 2 counts:

• 1.) No taking the time to call out to your DNS & waiting out the roundtrip return result equation URL -> IP address
  • 2.) No calling out to adbanners & loading their data + code as well & running it)!
* PLUS, as a bonus, you gain security as well - Making you secure against a threat such as the one noted @ the top of this thread (& it is NOT a first, it's happened many times))!

Irresponsible journalism, & in this case, radio journalism, for personal gain, & 'screw the users' by lying outright to they on the part of the majorgeeks.com misinformation they spread about this.

Either Jim of majorgeeks.com is ignorant

OR

He knows that it 'cuts into his profits' via adbanners not getting hits on his site!

(NEITHER BODES WELL FOR HIS USERS/FANBASE, IF ANY)

-------------------------------------------------

So, & rather than be honest about it, saying:

"Yes, loading & resolving adbanners slows you down, in addition to calling out to your DNS to get to this site is slower than using a custom hosts file to block calling out to adbanner servers & loading their data"

It appears to me @ least, that Jim of Majorgeeks.com would rather LIE to folks!

He should say:

"It's what helps to keep this site running, adbanners sponsorship, so take a speed hit @ YOUR EXPENSE loading them, getting to this site slower, & making yourself potentially unsafe loading adbanners - but, it puts money in MY pocket if you do!"...

Now, that doesn't sound too appealing now, does it?

Especially if it comes @ MY/YOUR EXPENSE, & trust me, it does.

See the above, because it's YOUR MONEY you pay out every month to be online, & also the fact you can compromise your system security-wise per this thread's subject matter upon introduction.

APK

P.S.=>This is one of those situations where you have somebody that does NOT know what he's talking about in this field period, & ill-advising others for personal gain (he runs the majorgeeks.com website)...

MAN - it's WRONG & goes to show you, some folks do NOT belong in this field advising others, period! apk

Alec§taar

UPDATED APK ADBANNER + FAV SITES SPEEDUP and SECURE CUSTOM HOSTS FILE 02/26/2007

See subject-line/title-line of this reply for this thread, & this URL below:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=273928#post273928

(For a further improved model of this custom adbanner blocks/fav sites speedup CUSTOM HOSTS FILE)

:)

* Again - ENJOY faster & safer websurfing using it...

APK

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Sweet! Thanks again, Alex. The first one is running great, I'll dl and use the updated one right away.

WDIT: We need to get this stickied

Alec§taar

Sweet! Thanks again, Alex. The first one is running great, I'll dl and use the updated one right away.

This one's better, take a peek @ its interior, you will see what I mean... it's also 8k bigger now, unzipped, but worth every byte!

WDIT: We need to get this stickied

Request it from the moderators... I know that 27 people here use it @ this point already, so it may be something they too will use & find interesting!

* BOTTOM-LINE: IT JUST WORKS, to secure you against threats which this thread's about, & can HUGELY speed you up online, as is, but even MORE if you make fav sites of yours active in it!

APK

P.S.=> I used another tool I wrote up years ago Wile E, for a buddy of mine that wanted to be alerted via timed pings on a scheduler he could setup in a program, for checking his VPN Servers & connections to them being up, & this was the prototype (I also added SMTP mail alerts to a copy I did for some network engineers later @ a company I did work for, easy to do, & doesn't depend on Outlook FULL or Outlook Express to be online either using SMTP):

It also has a feature that helps build this file, but not for adbanner blocks as the program on the last page did ("APK Hosts File Optimization Engine 3.0++"), but instead for adding fav sites by ENTIRE LISTS of URLS, w/ no IP Address equated to them!

Tonite, it built a 200 URL resolved to IP Address list for addition into this file (so, MY fav sites were URL -> to -> IP Address equated, & with FRESH IP's on them as of this date today)... it took all of 2 seconds for it to rip thru & add them!

Imagine pinging 200 sites' URLs by hand, & then putting their entries into a HOSTS file like this one... time, TOO much time!

Computers are great for automation & SPEED of said automation! apk

Last edited:

Yin

Processor Intel i7 920
Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE II Extreme
Cooling CM v10
Memory Corsair 3 x 2GB TR3X6G1866C9DF
Video Card(s) Nvidia XFX 8800GT Stock
Storage Seagate ST3500320AS, 2 x Samsung HD103UJ
Display(s) 2408WFP
Case Corsair 800D
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
is there a way we can our hands on APK tools?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Idk? Wow, old thread... I miss Alec, what a good writer!

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
LOL now that's funny.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Status
Not open for further replies.