• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why would my junction temp be showing up in the AMD software at 900+c?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Amd RX 5700 XT and its having problems playing a game, and my screen saver is all messed up as well as it will not play scarygirl game I just bought. I have tried several different drivers such as 19.9.2, 19.9.3, 20.1.3, and 20.2.2 all with the same results. My gpu temp shows up at around 35c~, with the fan showing 0 movement. I can change the fan curve all the way up to 100% right off the bat, and can hear the vacuum in my case going crazy at that point, but even still it says there is a 0% fan movement being registered with the amd software, though I can hear it going at 100% speed.

So what is it I am doing wrong with this and getting these types of readings with my card. I have so far used Gpuz to make sure this card was not a a RX 5700 flashed to a XT and all specs show up correctly as it being a true 5700xt card. I have also looked at the PCB board and made sure all the stuff on it matches a 5700 XT board as well, since the 5700 does look a little different as it is missing some pieces found on a XT unit. I had a RX 580 before this and had 0 problems like this with it. I did uninstall the driver from it, the 580, and removed all left overs in registry to boot. I tried to play Crash Bandicoot, and was able to play one level and seemed to work ok with that. But upon ending the game to select a the 3rd game of crash, my system with into a green screen with no text, and then rebooted itself. I also tried to play Madden 20 on it, and the screen kept going from full screen to a minimized one, and forcing me to click on the screen mid game with my mouse, to get it back into full screen. This happens about every 5 minutes or so, very annoying.

Is this card fubar? When I took the heatsink off to look at the board I redid the gpu die with my arctic ceramic paste, correctly, spread out, not the crazy put a pea on it, and let the heatsink spread it. This is the way I been doing it with a credit card for over 2 decades with only having messed up 2 times that I can recall. So any ideas? I watched a gamers nexus video explaining the junction temp, and said its normal, according to amd to run at 110c, but im seeing 900+c, so way off from the "norm" that the video had suggested. Any help would be greatly appreciated. OH and Im not over clocking, nor over volting this card in any way. I did buy it used, but he didnt report having any problems at all with it.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 948
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 576
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 426
System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Uhh, I didn't check to see if the fans spun after re-plugging them back in..
Did you use DDU? Junction temp never got over 96c for me. I used GPU-Z.
No problems with games..at least after I extracted the "AMD overlay" from the system.
Start a game and that AMD OL would pop up mid-game, nobody needs that.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Did you buy the card used? That junction temp reading is obviously wrong, 906°C would at the very least have made something catch fire. Including your house. I would guess there's a hardware or firmware error with the card, though another round of DDU never hurts.

Btw, did you manually remove stuff from the registry? Don't do that unless you are very sure what you're doing. DDU does everything that you need in that regard.

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
DDU>reboot into safe mode>DDU again.
Then reboot.
Nothing was done to the firmware of that card.
Annd..it had better TIM on it than what you used.
MX-4>Ceramique 2
Ah well, it's not the mount, it's drivers and driver-bundled addons.

Last edited:
System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .E-52699, Xeon play thing
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero,4 MR9A PRO ATX X99
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu 4 360 AIO
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400 4 64GB 2133 in quad channel
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. 4 Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd 4. 2gb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , 2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. 3.17" 120 hz display 4. Acer Preditor 144hz 32inch.z
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3 4. some cheapo case that should not be named.
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard 4. onboard.
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w. 4 RM850w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win11 pro 2. win11 pro 3, win11 home 4 win11 pro
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
it has to be a bad sensor or softwear related . it would of melted way before hitting 900c so it has to be a false reading.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
That gpu would have burned a hole thru your pc and into the ground lol.

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
Long answer short: AMD software is bad, mmk?
Try 19.8.3 up to 9 and don't install anything extra.
A guy on OCN has a way to use the old interface with the newer drivers.
He's coming up with an "Improved method" that looks too complicated for me, but I could hack and butch through 2 installs.
All that's needed from the newer one is "aticlxx" or something like that.
Install pre-total junk interface drivers..then..
Start installing the newer, but don't..then update driver from the extracted folder of the newer install in Device manager.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I've had this happen before. A reboot fixes it. Appears to be a driver bug / false reading.

Well I did the DDU in safe mode, and yes the fans are plugged in and they work, for I can hear them and I have had my wife put my pc on its side, and can physically see them moving as well. The temp after the uninstall, and reinstall have gone down to 53c, however my scary Girl game refuses to work now, and playing crash I saw a max temp in it at 68c. However, now when I try to play madden, it crashes to a green screen, and pc reboots to a screen that is high corrupted. I have to hard turn off the pc, and then back on and the corruption goes away. It has a screen like the memory has taken a dump, or is over clocked, I will try and take a pic of it when it happens again to show, in hopes someone can tell me what it is doing. I am going to have my son remove my card for me, as I will redo it with my Arctic MX4 paste I also have. But so far I havent been able to do anything with this card since getting it, and I really, really, really want to figure this thing out, for Im starting to get pissed as all get out at it, and wishing I didnt get rid of my RX 580, for I already sold it on ebay, and have nothing else to put in this rig, and I used it daily since Im disabled, and now with a broken arm, and its my go to thing to keep me busy surfing the web and gaming, since my disability restricts me from doing much more then that :(

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
I'm sure your cooler mount is fine. It's drivers. Humor me? Pm me.

This is what I am what I see at start up, when rebooting and this is at bios so no derive has begun to be implemented as of yet, when it crashes, or I install a different driver and reboot. I then have to hard shut down my pc, and then restart and screen then looks normal again. But even still my screen saver is still messed up, games crash, and games won't load, they try to, then crash out. This is the same result with every driver I have mentioned, and uninstalling them with ddu, or iobit uninstaller pro, that also removes all traces of the install, including registry files. So I'm really at a loss here for it doesn't matter what driver's I use, granted now my junction temp isn't a crazy number, anymore, all the rest of three problems in still having and need a resolve.

Attachments

• 20200301_140939.jpg
    20200301_140939.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 222
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
Check the plug on back of monitor is tight? Look, just send me the card back, I don't want you having any problems like this.

I had none of those kind of problems. Bought it brand new 6 weeks ago.
My only problem was AMD bloatware bundled with the driver, which I deleted all of it.
No options or fiddling with settings, but no problems. Especially not ones in BIOS.
Are you using displayport or HDMI?

I am using the HDMI cable, 4k 60hx, UMD, HDR compliant. I have a DP to hdmi I will try. And it is plugged in correctly into the tv, for I never had to take it out of there. I have also removed it and installed the card with my Arctic MX4 paste, though after removing saw I did put on the Arctic ceramic paste right, so wasnt that at all either. Im not messing with any of the setting through amd software, and running it all stock setting after the install. I am going to try my DP to HDMI cable I have, and see if by any chance at all the hdmi port is messed up, I sure hope so, but not going to hold my breath on it :(

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
This is what I am what I see at start up, when rebooting and this is at bios so no derive has begun to be implemented as of yet, when it crashes, or I install a different driver and reboot. I then have to hard shut down my pc, and then restart and screen then looks normal again. But even still my screen saver is still messed up, games crash, and games won't load, they try to, then crash out. This is the same result with every driver I have mentioned, and uninstalling them with ddu, or iobit uninstaller pro, that also removes all traces of the install, including registry files. So I'm really at a loss here for it doesn't matter what driver's I use, granted now my junction temp isn't a crazy number, anymore, all the rest of three problems in still having and need a resolve.
The attached photo shows the GDDR6 is sending corrupted data to GPU causing artifacts. Is the thermal pads in contact with the heatsink? Appears related to overheating or one GDDR6 memory chips went bad.

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
I am using the HDMI cable, 4k 60hx, UMD, HDR compliant. I have a DP to hdmi I will try. And it is plugged in correctly into the tv, for I never had to take it out of there. I have also removed it and installed the card with my Arctic MX4 paste, though after removing saw I did put on the Arctic ceramic paste right, so wasnt that at all either. Im not messing with any of the setting through amd software, and running it all stock setting after the install. I am going to try my DP to HDMI cable I have, and see if by any chance at all the hdmi port is messed up, I sure hope so, but not going to hold my breath on it :(

I'm sorry you're having these problems, tell ya what..Zotac's 1660 SC will run just about any game well. It definitely isn't as powerful as 5700XT, but it's better than a 580 by a notch, especially if OC'd.
You might as well package that thing up today. I don't have the tolerance for things like that like I used to.
And..this is not in a PM. Whoops. :oops:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Send the Card Back and get a Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT.

yeah, all the pads are on the card for everything, and I even went a step further after removing the heatsink little bit ago to double check my paste and the sink was seated right, and took each pad off the sink, and placed them directly on the chips one at a time, making sure to put them on them directly in the middle, and not off to the sides in any way, each and everyone of them. And was greeted with that screen above when I turned the pc back on. The card is showing excellent temps, even with gaming, never reaching over 70c, just getting all there artifacts with my screen saver, when rebooting, and games crashing to a all green screen, no text at all, then restarting itself again, with that kind of screen at bios start up. I know the guy I got it from is offering me a refund, Im hoping not out of pocket for shipping it back, cus I need all that money to try and hunt down another card, for I will be now without a pc because of this, for I sold and shipped out my old Rx 580 I sold on ebay yesterday. I decided to try and play some games with it, taking my broken arm out of the sling so I can hold my controller today, only to have this going on. I thought yesterday when my screen saver was acting up to a driver problem, but now with all this all goings on its leading me to believe there is more to it then just a driver issue. :(

Trying my DP to HDMI cable right now and will be reporting back on its findings.

Using the other cable with the same results, and I would love to get a different card, but my funds were limited and at max with what I paid for this one used, and will not find another one for this same price, and out of pocket shipping it back if it comes to that as well :(
Sad day for Jay indeed ;(

Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Software Yeah
I for one, am not hopeful.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
yeah, all the pads are on the card for everything, and I even went a step further after removing the heatsink little bit ago to double check my paste and the sink was seated right, and took each pad off the sink, and placed them directly on the chips one at a time, making sure to put them on them directly in the middle, and not off to the sides in any way, each and everyone of them. And was greeted with that screen above when I turned the pc back on. The card is showing excellent temps, even with gaming, never reaching over 70c, just getting all there artifacts with my screen saver, when rebooting, and games crashing to a all green screen, no text at all, then restarting itself again, with that kind of screen at bios start up. I know the guy I got it from is offering me a refund, Im hoping not out of pocket for shipping it back, cus I need all that money to try and hunt down another card, for I will be now without a pc because of this, for I sold and shipped out my old Rx 580 I sold on ebay yesterday. I decided to try and play some games with it, taking my broken arm out of the sling so I can hold my controller today, only to have this going on. I thought yesterday when my screen saver was acting up to a driver problem, but now with all this all goings on its leading me to believe there is more to it then just a driver issue. :(

Trying my DP to HDMI cable right now and will be reporting back on its findings.

Using the other cable with the same results, and I would love to get a different card, but my funds were limited and at max with what I paid for this one used, and will not find another one for this same price, and out of pocket shipping it back if it comes to that as well :(
Sad day for Jay indeed ;(

You paid for a used card is why. Return it for money back.

If you get money back Save up for a Brand new unopened Sapphire Pulse 5700XT, afaik @AlienIsGOD is liking his and if you want an alternative ask @Durvelle27 about his AsRock Challenger card.

There is way too much risk buying a used part, save up your money and take this as a lesson.

You can try 1 last Solution,
Download this driver For Windows 10 (Works on Radeon 5700 Serie)

If you are on windows 7 download this driver

Make sure to have the latest motherboard chipset drivers.

Remove the gpu drivers using the standard uninstaller, then go in behind and use display driver uninstaller use as if changing from AMD to nvidia, find the AMD folder on the C drive and delete the Adrenalin/Catalyst version numbers inside.

Install 1 of the above drivers after the latest motherboard chipset driver is installed and system has been restarted, once installed restart 1 more time and get with @R-T-B for some tweaks that he has done for XFX 5700 series cards.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ouch, that looks bad. Maybe one or more of the memory chips had some solder joints break/come loose from a particularly hard knock in shipping? I've heard of stranger things happening, and if the solder joint was cold or weak from some production mishap it's not that unlikely.

@eidairaman1 one would think buying used off another forum member who can confirm the card is working is about as safe as it gets, no? Sure, scams happen, but buying used itself is a smart move with limited funds. Besides, at least the OP is getting to return the card for a refund (and the seller can likely RMA it, so...). Sounds like bad luck to me.

This is the first time I have ever had a problem in buying a used card, and the seller is in contact with me on this, so thats great of him to do so. I have also asked him if he has the receipt for it, for powercolor will warranty it, but ONLY if I am the original owner, and it was bought through a authorized seller for 2 years. So as long as he didnt buy it from ebay, or the like, and hasnt registered it, and can get me a copy of the receipt, I can then get it a rma, and not have to return it, and get a refurbished most likely from them. If not, its gonna suck to have to return it. And saving money while of ssd is really a no go. The only time I get to do any upgrades to my pc is at tax time, and this was all I had to really spend on this card, and REALLY wanted a 5700 XT, not the 5700 one, so if I cannot get it a rma, I will sadly however have to take the money and get another 580 like I had sold, and then have to wait another year to upgrade it, and thats gonna suck balls, for Im using a 4k tv I just bought and if you dont play in 4k on it, the picture at any other rez gets blurry, the downsides of using a tv as your monitor, and not a dedicated pc one, and I cannot stand blurry, or slideshow gaming, like I was getting with some games using a 580.

So my only hope at this point really is that he has the receipt, its not from ebay, and hasnt been registered so that I can then send it in for a rma. But still gonna suck in the meantime being forced to use my darn phone to get me busy durring this whole time :(

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
I will be now without a pc because of this, for I sold and shipped out my old Rx 580 I sold on ebay yesterday.
But still gonna suck in the meantime being forced to use my darn phone to get me busy durring this whole time :(
Do you have any friends or have someway of sourcing a low end graphics card?

Last edited:
None of my friends that I have here where I moved to, like 3 of them, have any computer knowledge, or parts for that matter laying around. Thought of that too. Im in contact with the seller still in hopes he can find a copy of the receipt, so that I can rma it. It sucks its broken it 99% looks like at this point, but I will be sooooooooooo happy if I can rma it myself. Granted its still again gonna suck its broken now, and that if I can rma it I will be without, and just be on my phone, giving me pretty much nothing to do but dwell on how much my life sucks all the time, but at least I have the knowing that, I will get one back in about a month, at which point my broken arm should be healed enough I can play games that require then the use of my mouse and keyboard. I cant do that right now, for I cannot move my arm, well I can but hurts like a mother f (shut yo mouf), and I forced myself today taking it out of its sling so I can hold my controller, for its been really boring watching video all day long for the last week, only to be greeted with this slew of problems. So it all rides on him finding that receipt, and that it wasnt bought off ebay, so I can be happy getting it rma's, and then look forward to when it does finally make it back to me I should be healed enough to really getting to use it once again :D

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
There is 1 last option you can try.
Ouch, that looks bad. Maybe one or more of the memory chips had some solder joints break/come loose from a particularly hard knock in shipping? I've heard of stranger things happening, and if the solder joint was cold or weak from some production mishap it's not that unlikely.

@eidairaman1 one would think buying used off another forum member who can confirm the card is working is about as safe as it gets, no? Sure, scams happen, but buying used itself is a smart move with limited funds. Besides, at least the OP is getting to return the card for a refund (and the seller can likely RMA it, so...). Sounds like bad luck to me.
The member would have to be a long time member here to buy. Ebay does have moneyback guarantee if product is defective but i dont waste time on it when majority of new boards work.

The seller forward me the receipt, so tomorrow I will be calling them to see if I can get it sent in for a rma. If for what ever reason I cannot, since the little sticker has been broken on the screw when he removed it before I got it to put some different paste on the gpu. but the laws have been changed where those stickers dont mean really jack no more, so they shouldnt give me any grief on that issue at all. If so I will forward them the google link showing that the ftc has made it where they can no longer void the warranty if that sticker has been removed or broken anymore. So with fingers crossed, when I call them, I can get it sent in for the rma, and wait several weeks for the turn around on a repair or replacement, at which point Ill be a happy camper again.

Status
Not open for further replies.