• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why You Shouldn't Trust Game Reviews

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Yesterday I bought the game Terminator: Resistance for PC. A friend recommended that game to me. At first I wasn't thrilled, because it received extreme negative reviews from "professional game reviewers", and the fact it was developed and published by unknown companies (Teyon, Reef Entertainment). I'm very picky when it comes to games... nothing, but the very best.

Wikipedia.jpg

metacritic.jpg

Despite the negative reviews, Terminator: Resistance is probably the best terminator game ever made. And it appears, the majority of people think like me.

Steam.jpg

Google.jpg

YouTube.jpg

IGN: 4/10
Steam: 9/10

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
If you're reading a game review, you're really just reading someone else's opinion. There are no charts or graphs that compare it to other products like you would find in one of our video card reviews. Outside of hard facts like... the game ran poorly, is full of bugs, or contains this or that you may or may not like (microtransactions or something) enjoyment of the game itself is just one person's opinion.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Everyone has an opinion and its on us to take it how we like. If I say a game is bad and you say its good who cares? We look at reviews for references, not life choices. Besides the user score is literally right there.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Honestly, if our own @rtwjunkie says a game is good, its a sure bet that the game will be a wise investment for entertainment value.

Pro game reviews come and go, some I agree with, some I don't. But user reviews, especially those that have invested more than 2 hours into a game can provide some decent feedback, even on Steam reviews, as-long-as you take the time to read more than 1 or 2, I try to read closer to a dozen-ish, depends on the game and my interest and the quality of user reviews. There's plenty of skew in quality and useful user reviews as well, and sorting through the BS isn't always a clear path. At the end of the day, if you're convinced to buy and happy with the purchase, leave a good review to share your experience, and enjoy! :)

As a rule, the only review I take seriously are those that are presented in an object form. User reviews are a mixed bag but generally you can tell the real ones from the fakes. Video reviews are the best as they actually show the game-play in motion and generally with someone playing it.

As for the game in the example above, Terminator Resistance is a very good game. Like every game out there, it is not perfect. But my complaints are few and mostly to do with personal preference. It is a graphically beautiful game, with excellent sound and solid controls. The storyline pulls you in and keeps you focused. Judged on it's merits and my tastes it's a solid 9/10. If you are a fan of the Terminator universe, that game will not disappoint!

And the above is the kind of user review that I take seriously.

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Game reviews are a difficult thing because so many games released have a lot of bugs and sometimes are completely broken. The reviwer can't know what might get patched later on so the reviewer just reviews how the game is on release. Only occasionally is a game given a follow up review after it's been patched and polished.

That's why I like to see a game tested, patched and polished before release but so many Publishers just want to rush them out the door and let the gamers do the beta testing.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Honestly, if our own @rtwjunkie says a game is good, its a sure bet that the game will be a wise investment for entertainment value.

Pro game reviews come and go, some I agree with, some I don't. But user reviews, especially those that have invested more than 2 hours into a game can provide some decent feedback, even on Steam reviews, as-long-as you take the time to read more than 1 or 2, I try to read closer to a dozen-ish, depends on the game and my interest and the quality of user reviews. There's plenty of skew in quality and useful user reviews as well, and sorting through the BS isn't always a clear path. At the end of the day, if you're convinced to buy and happy with the purchase, leave a good review to share your experience, and enjoy! :)

Ive paid attention to some that defined the truth from crap

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
I pretty much never read full game reviews nor care about the user score since I found myself rarely agreeing with them and I prefer to decide it for myself.

Game performance I usually check on YT with ~comparable hardware to mine so I can get an idea how it runs or if its has serious game breaking performance issues or something.

I don't take my gaming dead seriously so to speak and not trying to find every single small bug/problem in the game and then get upset about it,I try to enjoy my games for what they are. 'straight out annoying/frustrating games I do avoid tho'

Bit offtopic but I treat my choice of movies the same,if all I cared about is IMDB ratings for example then I would have missed a good few movie I actually had fun watching regardless of the low-ish ratings.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
IGN are probably the worst when it comes to game reviews. They are mainly nothing but woke shills. So long as the cheque clears they will rate anything above 8/10 no matter how bad it is.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I think of a game like Mass Effect: Andromeda which received some critical reviews on release and the user reviews were poor due to the bugs in the games. If you watched a youtube video most were about the bugs and glitches which could of been corrected before release. After it was patched and polished it got better reviews. I think Publishers set a target date for release and then start a marketing campaign and want to release the game when the hype is at the highest level to sell the most games but sometimes that's just not reasonable. Then gamers get upset about Cyberpunk 2077 getting delayed but CDPR aren't going to release the game until it's in reasonable shape.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Warcraft III Reforged received 7 from IGN

Score of 0.5 by 28,000 users on Metacritic

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
A lot of these access media "review" sites are keeping afloat by the companies who's products they review in one way or another. "Game journalist" is pretty low-rung in terms of journalism and is infested with folks who can't rub two brain cells together and especially not partaking into any sort of journalism. There's plenty of it and it works for them to get clicks and ad-revenue. Best to just avoid.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Steam: 9/10

All well and good until the review bombs start dropping. Or the opposite where it gets all kinds of good reviews because the dev/pub donates to rebuild a building.

I'd rather trust someone that was paid for it than the masses. Honestly, it sucks either way. The only way you can remotely trust a review/recommendation is if the person recommending the game knows you and what you like.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Terminator: Resistance is exactly the example of the disconnect between professional reviewers and the masses.

The game isn’t perfect. It is obviously made by a small studio. It has a few glitches. Facial animations are near non-existent, and body animations a little stiff. It’s not next gen level graphics either. These are all things “pros” slammed.

Yet despite those flaws, it’s a highly enjoyable game on its own merits as a FPS, and hands-down the best Terminator game ever made. Why? Because the atmosphere is nailed perfectly for the war years. The action is believable, and the enemies challenging, not overwhelming. There is a pretty good story, and solid voice acting for such a small studio. Overall, the fun factor is a 10, and the game gets a solid 9 in my book.

After about 30 games that “Professional” reviewers have negatively reviewed, my method of purchasing is to watch trailers, read whatever I can from the dev or publisher, and then go with my gut. I dont care what the users say either, prior to purchase. It is nice to see alot of them confirm my decision after I find I enjoy a game or not. I rarely find a game, however, that I don’t enjoy. There is fun to be found in nearly all of these bits of electronic entertainement. :)

Last edited:
System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
I know this thread is bashing reviewers but I like gameranx's before you buy videos. Steam user reviews for niche games they don't cover. Then if I'm desperate reddit discussions.

From these I've understood that:

looter shooters are not for me.

I wouldn't like AC Odyssey as much as I liked Origins.

The Outer Worlds is not that amazing as people claimed bathesda-killer when it released.

Battlefield franchise is not for me.

While COD: MW is amazing atm it'll cease to have dev support after a year so not for me.

JRPGs aren't for me.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Part of it is preference, but the whole model also doesn't lend itself to transparency or reliability. This is not always about them being shills or whatever. I don't think that's it. I think it is fundamentally not possible for an outlet who's main purpose is to review games to actually nail it most of the time. They're never gonna catch the nuances. And sometimes those matter a lot. It's hard to pin this stuff down to numbers. I've always ignored number/star ratings and just looked at what is being described and in what way.

My problem with game reviews is how low-effort they often are. The person forming the opinions often has no time to live with them, so all you're getting is the same level of impression you could've gotten yourself just playing the game for an afternoon. You would then know what they know, and even more about what it means for you. Sometimes the person might not even have a background suitable... the type of person it takes to run one of these outlets is probably inherently lacking the ability to fully ascertain what makes someone able to review a game well. Their job is to run an operation. They just kinda look at how things go over and try to steer things towards a positive response, which doesn't necessarily require a lot of quality. Just consistency. Consistently mediocre reviews are easier to pull off. If you play it safe, even crummy, very surface-level reviews will generally be tolerated and even accepted. Bonus points, they're quicker to write, so you can have less people produce more content in less time which = less money spent! Little incentive not to.

IGN is the worst. Ever watch their gameplay footage? Like, man... a good half of the time they can barely play. But sometimes it's worse. It's not just being unfamiliar with the game in particular, but the genre. They make noob mistakes that make you think "Do they even actually play games?" It's like they toss a controller to whoever is nearby and say "Just look at the screen and press buttons."

And that points to another issue. When you're writing game reviews for a major outlet, how much time or drive do you really have to do your own gaming and really dive deep into understanding/informing the opinions you have to put out day after day? Your average gamer will live with games they like (and even games they don't like,) which is naturally going to lend itself to them being able to make deeper cuts. Maybe more subjective, but also better formed. Whereas the guy who does it for a job is relegated to skimming as many games as possible and trying to extract and present what they think matters in the shortest amount of time.

At least an individual gamers' subjectivity is sincere. You know they mean what they say and that it comes from somewhere not totally new to them (unless we're talking certain people on steam, who sometimes bash aspects of games that are generally thought to be good for personal or ideological reasons, without ever saying that's actually why they're saying the graphics or whatever suck - those damned review bombers :laugh:) And generally you can kind of sense what their background is in the things they seem to highlight and miss about the type of game they're talking about. You can tell if they know what you know, or even if they know things you don't know (because they start talking over your head on different aspects.)

I'm not even talking about honesty here. In order to convey anything in a review, you will need to make some assumptions about your audience, just as they will have to make assumptions about you. A person simply putting up an opinion just to do it has no obligation towards doing that. There's a salt-glacier of unpredictable interactions taking place there. And it can't be avoided. Because when you dive too deep and just expect everyone to understand, nobody but people who are already in that deep will understand and everyone else will learn nothing. You'll be accurate, but nobody will know/care what you're on about. At least if you try to feel-out where they're at you can maybe convey something. Not everyone has the knowledge or history to grasp the nuance of why a game is good or flawed. It just so happens that this has the pitfall of taking the essence of what the experience will be for many people OUT of the review. Because again, they're trying to anticipate what readers will care about. Point out things they think the readers will and will not like, rather than giving their straight take.

There's that saying "Everyone is entitled to their opinion." My answer to that is "Some opinions are of better quality than others." A quicker, lower-quality, low-hanging take on something has little value compared to one that's been alive in someone's head for awhile and is based on other opinions that have been forged over long stretches of time. How often does a pro reviewer just replay games? I mean, really now? It's a vital part of understanding games, but the job doesn't always allow for that.

How often have you been on that 3rd 60-hour playthrough and gained really big insights about what the game was out to do and what it actually accomplished? And did that perhaps teach you some things about games a whole that you couldn't appreciate otherwise? You know? How many times have you played more or less all the way through, had a negative take, picked it up next year, maybe after playing other games and realized that the very game you thought wasn't good is actually one the best games you've ever played? Subjectivity is a bitch. Information doesn't always enter you in sequence, and sometimes it can move very slowly. You can harbor what are not just bad opinions, but actual fundamental misconceptions for a long time and not know it if you're not engaging with games freely... as in, not TRYING to understand them all of the time and just experiencing them. It's a luxury that we all have as regular gamers, that some reviewers definitely don't. Makes it so they fundamentally can't understand what your average gamer actually experiences at times. Instead what they have to do is perform a fast-aggregate of the state of other people's opinions on things and then intently plug-in what little information they pull from the game itself in what little time is alloted. Which is always going to corrupt the message to some degree. Even self-awareness can't fix that. Knowing that's how it is doesn't give a reviewer what they need to get around it. Because what they need is time they'll never have...

It's not really their fault... it's just not the best format for getting any kind of decisive or practical answers from, just due to how humans parse and internalize information. The ones I like are the retrospectives. Those usually have more quality info in them than barely post-launch-period reviews. Those are always going to be a crapshoot. There's a competitive element, too. Because if you don't have the review out when other people do, that decreases engagement for you. And over time that can leave you dead in the water.

Last edited:
System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
i used to read PC Gamer back in the 90s and i'd say they were good somewhat honest reviews too.
they gave the game a good numbers of hours gameplay before giving it a score.
some of the reviewers are funny as well. towards the last 10 pages they have pc hardware reviews too.
After school i'd run to the library to read them.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
TBH, honest game reviews are seldom seen anymore. When the monetization review scandal came to light, we saw higher rated reviews that were usually paid while honest reviews diminish thanks to DCMA claiming. A lot of that has settled down but shady dealings with reviewers is still happening.

I blame the game publishers for this dilemma. Time deadlines are the major reason games in the last decade are released with enough bugs and glitchs to give anyone anger issues, think Electronic Arts hate. Game development studios share a blame too, smaller studios try to do too much with small staffs, and take on work they cant do in a timely manner. Telltale Games is a good example that most everyone knows about, they were taking on projects with not enough people while promising it to be completed by a specified date and not delivering. The end result is bad reviews of many games that could have been great if the time was spent on Q&A and fixing.

I have not bought a game in the last 15 years that didnt need a patch within the 3 months of the release date. This is the 2nd part of why games get a bad review, after a game is released, extra staff is usually laid off, likely the testers and Q&A team. Why? The gamers are now major source of bug reporting. The by product of this process is that it increases rants and raves about a game ending in lower ratings.

Me personally, I tend to ignore reviews and will buy a game if it peeks my interest enough. I've made some poor choices, but atleast they were my choices unbiased by a review.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I perform a research everytime I see a movie or buy a game.

If I see something like this:

Clipboard02.jpg

I just imagine the worst and avoid.

This is not fair for both consumers, developer, and publisher of the game. Which in this case, look like small businesses.

It is a decent FPS with RPG elements, similar to BioShock, with an authentic Terminator environment.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
These days I usually just watch some gameplay from Youtube with commentary, not too much to avoid spoilers.. can't even remember the last time I've bought a shitty game when a reviewer has been "wrong".

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I perform a research everytime I see a movie or buy a game.

If I see something like this:

View attachment 144528
I just imagine the worst and avoid.

This is not fair for both consumers, developer, and publisher of the game. Which in this case, look like small businesses.

It is a decent FPS with RPG elements, similar to BioShock, with an authentic Terminator environment.
I see that and it means nothing to me. If I had listened to negative reviews I would have missed out on a ton of fun games and great movies. It seems most are completely out of touch.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Warcraft III Reforged received 7 from IGN

Score of 0.5 by 28,000 users on Metacritic

That shows the other side: if the player base is upset by something they sometimes turn to a blind mob. See review bombing.
I see that and it means nothing to me. If I had listened to negative reviews I would have missed out on a ton of fun games and great movies. It seems most are completely out of touch.

This brings up an interesting point about normalization. You say "out of touch" which usually indicates out of contact with a sort of consensus. I long ago realized I was out of touch with gamers.

Also here we can have a talk about how trailers is the ruination of everything. :]

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
i do the same, and usually i check TPU "what are you playing" thread, rather than "professional" games reviews,

as for STEAM or customer reviews: "assume that it was not the right game for these people" (sometime it's out of fanboyism also :laugh: )

subjective opinion is the most relevant common point for all reviews, professional or not.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I remember the world before www and before a game was all about the opening week-end: reviews were only to be found in magazines and the main way to hear about a good title was after it was released, through word of mouth from those that actually played it (and not for money).
Good thing we "evolved" past that.

Another good thing is I never felt the urge to play anything on release. I usually played things my friends brought to my attention, or supposed AAA titles that people actually talked about 6 months or so after launch. I'm pretty sure I missed some gems (then again, who didn't?), but in general this was lean on my pocket and mostly frustration free (with bugs ironed out and everything).

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
It didn’t have invert aim so I couldn’t play It...small details are important...