• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wierd cpu multiplier

matteblack7

Hi, Recently I'm finding what cause my pc audio popping so i tried everything from reinstall driver to reinstall Windows and upgrade to Windows 11 and the problem still exists. So i use Throttlestop to monitor if cpu is the problem, after I've upgraded to Windows 11 I check the box disable turbo to see if the problem gone but it's not, so i uncheck it and then i check the box speedshift - epp 128 and then I saw cpu clock slow down so I uncheck it but the clock isn't back to normal Iike before so I google and found that I need to reboot the system. After reboot clock is back to normal but i check in cpuz it say cpu multiplier range is 8-133 which i think it was 8-45 before. Now i don't know what to do i've tried reset cmos but it doesn't work. Do I need to concern about this? I tried benchmark my system with cpuz and xtu and the score is increase than it was. I didn't want to overclock anything just try to fix audio problem.

I'm using laptop ASUS ROG G531GV with Core i7 9750H.
Sorry if my English is bad, Thank is advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-12 210507.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-12 210507.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot 2021-10-12 212621.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-12 212621.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot 2021-10-12 212721.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-12 212721.png
    241.2 KB · Views: 97
Processor Intel i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Lightning
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7800 XT
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF 165Hz
Case Fractal Meshify C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Logitech G512
I think it's safe to say there is no way your 9750H multiplier is going over 45.
Maybe throttlestop is causing it to be reported incorrectly?
Has someone directed you to use throttlestop to address the popping issue?
I'd just use HWiNFO to monitor clockspeeds and temp if you are coincerned, since it doesn't seem like you need throttlestop.

matteblack7

I think it's safe to say there is no way your 9750H multiplier is going over 45.
Maybe throttlestop is causing it to be reported incorrectly?
Has someone directed you to use throttlestop to address the popping issue?
I'd just use HWiNFO to monitor clockspeeds and temp if you are coincerned, since it doesn't seem like you need throttlestop.
I used HWiNFO to but didn't find anything but my core#1 is hot than others (upto 97Celcius max) so I think it might be thermal throttle problem. My laptop just got replaced Mainboard and Fan by ASUS because recently cpu clock are limit at 3.6 GHz with no reason cause my system random unresponsive so they changed them but problem(audio and core hot) still exists. I don't want to go to service again because I've done it 3 times and I have to use my laptop for work so I decided to google and found throttlestop maybe help me monitor more info about thermal throttle. I'm glad to hear that it safe but can I fix the reading? If not it's OK.

Thanks for your advice.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
1634064123414.png

When the default multipliers are reported incorrectly or when you see a bunch of weird looking voltages in the FIVR monitoring table, these are both signs that you are using Windows 11 and ThrottleStop is being blocked from reading or writing to some of the CPU registers. There are new enhanced security features to keep Windows 11 users safe and secure.

If you want to use ThrottleStop, you will need to disable some things like Core Isolation - Memory Integrity and Virtual Machine Platform and maybe a few other virtualization things too. There is more information in this other thread so reply there if you need help.

If you need to use things like WSL2 in Windows 11 then you will not be able to run ThrottleStop at the same time.

Any monitoring app that needs direct access to some of the CPU registers is not going to work 100% correctly. Looks like CPU-Z is being prevented from reading the maximum CPU multiplier from the CPU.

matteblack7

If you want to use ThrottleStop, you will need to disable some things like Core Isolation - Memory Integrity and Virtual Machine Platform and maybe a few other virtualization things too. There is more information in this other thread so reply there if you need help.
Thanks, It works all reading are normal.

I have more question. Is it normal that Throttlestop says I have yellow BD PROCHOT, PL2 and EDP Other limits when I just start my pc.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Is it normal that ThrottleStop says I have yellow BD PROCHOT, PL2 and EDP Other limits when I just start my pc.
That is normal. When first booting up, many of the power limits, etc., have not been setup by the bios yet. Until the CPU is completely setup, it is not unusual for some random items to be triggered and show up in Limit Reasons.

When using Limit Reasons, watch for boxes lighting up red while your CPU is loaded. Red boxes indicate that throttling is in progress. That is what is important.

If you suspect some throttling while playing a game, turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option before you start playing. That way you will have an accurate record of how your CPU was performing. The far right column of the log file will also record any reasons for throttling. Attach a log file to your next post if you need any help understanding what it is telling you. The log file will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder.