• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wierd networking problem...

Oliver_FF

Processor Intel q9400 @ stock
Motherboard Lanparty P45-T2RS
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9500
Memory 8GB OCZ PC2-6400
Video Card(s) BFG Nvidia GTX285 OC
Storage 1TB, 500GB, 500GB
Display(s) 20" Samsung T200HD
Case Antec Mini P180
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply 700w Hiper
Software Ubuntu x64 virtualising Vista
Ok, here's a wierd issue i'm having with my Gigabyte P35C-DS3R.

I've got a fully wired home network, all the cables work plugs are good etc. It's all tested on my old rig so it's definately all ok.

Whenever I boot my new rig, windows always fails to pick up my network, i get the network icon with the yellow thing over it saying like it's local only or something. The only way to get internet is to right click, go to "Diagnose and Repair" and hit "reset connection" - two or three attempts later and it picks up my network and internet and i'm good until i next restart my pc. Alternatively, i can keep unplugging and replugging the cable until it picks it up properly.

If anyone knows anything about this, please please let me know - it drives me crazy some times XD

System Name My Lovely PC :)
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz @3.12GHz - 1.35v/390fsb/8x multi
Motherboard Gigabyte P43-DS3L
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme - MX2 paste
Memory 2GB, Team Value Ram 667 @ 780MHz
Video Card(s) ECS 8800GT 512MB @ 700/1720/2100
Storage 160GB Hitachi Deskstar/80GB Maxtor PY080L0
Display(s) Asus VH226H 22" 1920x1080
Case Eye-T
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD, AC888 8 channel audio
Power Supply 570 Watt, TRUST PSU
Software Windows 7 Beta
hmm thats weird, did you configure a manual ip address or a dynamic ip

Oliver_FF

Cooling Zalman CNPS-9500
Memory 8GB OCZ PC2-6400
Case Antec Mini P180
Power Supply 700w Hiper
It's all dynamic.

The other weird thing is that accessing my computer over the network is REALLY slow, i'm talking dial-up slow - but accessing the rest of my network FROM my computer goes full speed.

I reckon it's some kind of incompatibility with my router.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
It's all dynamic.

The other weird thing is that accessing my computer over the network is REALLY slow, i'm talking dial-up slow - but accessing the rest of my network FROM my computer goes full speed.

I reckon it's some kind of incompatibility with my router.

It's all dynamic?
Well one of them should act as a DHCP server with a static IP else who would assign the IPs? George Bush?

also check if all the nodes (computers and uPNP devices) are in the same IP plane IE 192.168.xxx.y

where xxx should be the same for all the nodes, y should be unique. they should all have default NetBIOS enabled and same workgroup: I'd say MSHOME as most uPnP devices are hardwired for this.

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
It's all dynamic?
Well one of them should act as a DHCP server with a static IP else who would assign the IPs? George Bush?

No, the router.

As long as DHCP is enabled on the router, the rest of your IP addresses should work fine as being dynamic.

After making sure that there aren't any firewall settings causing a problem, the first thing to try would be to check that the appropriate Windows services are enabled.

Type services.msc from a run command and check that the following are set to automatic and running (if they are automatic and not running there could be a problem):
  • Computer Browser (this is the only one that may be automatic but not necessarily running)
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Connections (this should be ok if set to manual, so leave it be if it is)
  • Network Location Awareness (same as above, if it's manual, leave it manual)
  • Server
  • Workstation

If they are all ok, the next thing to try would be re-installing your network card driver, and making sure you have the latest one installed.

If that doesn't work, you should probably check that the cable running to that computer isn't damaged - that could give an explanation for the slow connection to it as well.

Finally, if everything else is ok, you may be able to solve the problem by setting a static IP on that computer. If that doesn't work I thing you might have to get a new network card.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Are you using Vista on your new rig when this happens?
Make sure that the worgroups on the network are all the same.
Vista defaults to the "WORKGROUP" name, and XP used "MSHOME".
I had similar problems until I realized that this was the case.

Just something to check.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
@Jimmy

That's what I was getting to. A router is a UPnP device. It has certain fixed factory defaults such as default workgroup name, start and end value of DHCP allocation, etc. which of course could be configured. He has to make sure the devices in his network aren't conflicting with the IP. Most uPnP devices like external hard-drive enclosures that connect to the network instead of USB/1394/ESATA, and ofcourse hot un-plugging a notebook from the network would cause this:

When a device, requests IP allocation to a DHCP server, the DHCP assigns it along with a lease period.

When a device is leaving the network, it tells the DHCP to de-allocate the IP so that it gets out of the routing-table.

But when you abruptly unplug a device, like unplugging a notebook, this message isn't sent and the IP remains in the DHCP's routing table. Later when the same device is connected, it'll be given a fresh IP by the DHCP which thinks it's a new node (assuming the same device that previously took the lease never got disconnected).

This way, a congested RT slows down the network.

System Name :3
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Cooling cm 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 275
Storage WD black 500gb Samsung 1tb
Display(s) 27" 1366x768 Olevia 527v
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ac
Software Windows 8 pro
what? my router so doesnt work that way at all, proper DHCP can tell if a device is the same device by its MAC adress and give it the same ip it previously had, if you can just barely connect and its all slow, reboot the router, if that works then that means you need a proper router not a consumer router, like a WRT54G with openWRT/X-WRT installed, or maybe something from avila gateworks, if thats not it then you prolly got a bad cable, or broken drivers for your lan card [never had that happen but who knows?] or just a broken lan card

lol seriously consumer routers are horrible, they usualy spesificly dont keep track of the uptime because they crash very often, and if you run anything that makes alot of connections they crash on the spot and give results sounding exactly like what you got

Oliver_FF

Cooling Zalman CNPS-9500
Memory 8GB OCZ PC2-6400
Case Antec Mini P180
Power Supply 700w Hiper
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I'm using onboard networking btw, i've got the latest drivers etc all the wiring is good so I reckon it's just a bit bu**ered. Too late to RMA too - i'll just live with resetting the connection every time I boot :(

I created a packet monitoring program a few weeks back to try and work out why my outbound speeds were so bad, it turns out that most of the packets it receives are slightly out - so loads of packets have to be re-sent.

Router or LAN card? who knows.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I'm using onboard networking btw, i've got the latest drivers etc all the wiring is good so I reckon it's just a bit bu**ered. Too late to RMA too - i'll just live with resetting the connection every time I boot :(

I created a packet monitoring program a few weeks back to try and work out why my outbound speeds were so bad, it turns out that most of the packets it receives are slightly out - so loads of packets have to be re-sent.

Router or LAN card? who knows.

how is it too late to RMA? :wtf:

System Name :3
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard
Cooling cm 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 275
Storage WD black 500gb Samsung 1tb
Display(s) 27" 1366x768 Olevia 527v
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Ac
Software Windows 8 pro
remember you can always run a openWRT/X-WRT router, its not hard, since they came out with X-wrt its *really* not hard, its usualy more painless than installing dd-wrt even :)

if i could go around every year on christmas spreading something to the world it would be that, screw happyness, you cant put a price on packets doing what they are suposed to when they are suposed to not when they feel like it.

heh