• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WiFi 6 Router Which to Choose?

WiFi 6 Router Which to Choose?

• ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • NETGEAR Nighthawk AX8

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • TP-Link WiFi 6 AX6000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
My current Linksys E3000 is not cutting it for the amount of devices and throughput I use day to day. So looking to update to some new routers. Which one would you choose?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
My vote is for the Nighthawk. Asus has had some shady issues in the past, not sure I trust them with a router. Come on, Asus knows PC gamers love clean installs because of no bloat... this is just shady to me, something tells me Asus does more than this as well on their mobo's regarding telemetry. I have no reason to trust them.

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
My vote is for the Nighthawk. Asus has had some shady issues in the past, not sure I trust them with a router. Come on, Asus knows PC gamers love clean installs because of no bloat... this is just shady to me, something tells me Asus does more than this as well on their mobo's regarding telemetry. I have no reason to trust them.

I voted for other because they all suck. I've had reasonable experiences with ASUS and TP-Link routers in the past, in my opinion they don't address firmware issues quickly enough. My current router is a TP-Link but not for much longer, half the features work half the time and lately it needs a reboot every few days or the guest wifi gets nutty.

Netgear is without a doubt the absolute WORST networking product company in business today. Just look at their firmware security issues with the R6xxx and R7xxx series. They had a backdoor a pre-schooler could open. Tom's HW post about that security issue.
I dealt with this a few years ago at a former employer. The boss at the time bought the R7000(if I remember correctly) for a small office location without consulting me. It took 4 months for Netgear to even acknowledge it was an issue. That was my third insane ordeal with Netgear garbage. I also had an 802.11g router they made that they never could get to work with forwarding certain ports(6 firmware revs). The worst in particular was a port used for Xbox Live which my son used at the time. A few years after that my brother bought a 2.4Ghz only 802.11n router from Netgear.(I don't remember the model) It stopped handing out DHCP addresses after 4 hours. Also if a device disconnected from the network, it wouldn't allow it to reconnect on the same IP address it had previously leased to it. He would leave the house and have to reboot the router to reconnect his phone to the Wifi. Imagine how fun that was with multiple people coming and going with phones and PCs. It had some proprietary processor so you couldn't put Tomato or DD-WRT on it. NETGEAR = Overrated GARBAGE

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
That's quite a jump. I currently have an TP Link Archer C5400 and have had it for 2 years. Its so reliable I logged in about 3 months ago for the first time in a year and forgot the password. Its a fn rock
I changed the security from Auto to only WPA2-PSK. Also someone will recommend aftermarket firmware. Avoid it, stock firmware is awesome now in that price range

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I had dd-wrt on the e3000 and added heatsinks to the processor. Sadly 11n simply can’t cut it in 2019. ASUS ax11000 it is then

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
That's quite a jump. I currently have an TP Link Archer C5400 and have had it for 2 years. Its so reliable I logged in about 3 months ago for the first time in a year and forgot the password. Its a fn rock
I changed the security from Auto to only WPA2-PSK. Also someone will recommend aftermarket firmware. Avoid it, stock firmware is awesome now in that price range
I Have an Archer C8, it was rock solid for a few years. For about 3 months now, the guest wifi stops accepting connections after 24 hours or so. I was never able to get the per device access scheduling to work right. Basically parental controls that limit internet access during certain times of the day. My son was 16 at the time and staying up until 2am on the internet. Fine on the weekends but not on school nights.

I replaced the Netgear 802.11g unit I had mentioned earlier with an ASUS model. The USB port died after a few years of using it to host a printer. That was really the only complaint I had about it. I replaced it because 802.11g was just too slow. I think my next router will be something entry business level or opensource. I've been messing around with pfSense for a while now.

loo1

I voted for other because they all suck. I've had reasonable experiences with ASUS and TP-Link routers in the past, in my opinion they don't address firmware issues quickly enough. My current router is a TP-Link but not for much longer, half the features work half the time and lately it needs a reboot every few days or the guest wifi gets nutty.

Netgear is without a doubt the absolute WORST networking product company in business today. Just look at their firmware security issues with the R6xxx and R7xxx series. They had a backdoor a pre-schooler could open. Tom's HW post about that security issue.
I dealt with this a few years ago at a former employer. The boss at the time bought the R7000(if I remember correctly) for a small office location without consulting me. It took 4 months for Netgear to even acknowledge it was an issue. That was my third insane ordeal with Netgear garbage. I also had an 802.11g router they made that they never could get to work with forwarding certain ports(6 firmware revs). The worst in particular was a port used for Xbox Live which my son used at the time. A few years after that my brother bought a 2.4Ghz only 802.11n router from Netgear.(I don't remember the model) It stopped handing out DHCP addresses after 4 hours. Also if a device disconnected from the network, it wouldn't allow it to reconnect on the same IP address it had previously leased to it. He would leave the house and have to reboot the router to reconnect his phone to the Wifi. Imagine how fun that was with multiple people coming and going with phones and PCs. It had some proprietary processor so you couldn't put Tomato or DD-WRT on it. NETGEAR = Overrated GARBAGE

Hey dude.

Now I stand by myself and look for a new and successful self and find the netgear AC1750 which has the features that I am looking for as well as the price is actually at the bottom of amazon.com! what's the new version of it called?

Last edited by a moderator: